Tribute to l'Azalai

iveco4x4

Not totally convinced, saw them at a Landrover show a few weeks ago and it seemed like they were packing too much in

There was another conversion there that looked easier to live in but can't remember who made it

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I came across their site last night.
I had seen it before but I think I overlooked it.

It looks like this may be exactly what we are looking for.

Price is a bit steep but I have not seen anything else on the market that offers the same package:

-compact (fit in a container)
-based on a Toyota
-sleeps 2
-toilet for the gf
-light weight
-lots of storage
-nice interior design
-etc.

I was pretty sold on a Dodge Ram Cummins + truck camper (Bigfoot or Northern lite) but after more research it turns out that both the BigFoot and NL is too wide to fit in a container.

So the quest continues...

Attachments

• exterior-130-3.jpg
    exterior-130-3.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 57
  • exterior-toy-4.jpg
    exterior-toy-4.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 46

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Christian,

I have been in touch with the UK branch regarding having this done to a Land Rover (we needed a fixed roof solution, instead, so did not go this route). Yes, the price is steep, but it does seem very nice and I have also been in touch with one of their early UK customers, Simon, who wrote some articles about the one they had done (D130 Double Cab). You would need to send your vehicle to the UK/France to have the conversion done. It is not a kit. Of course, for the cost, maybe it would be best to go over and have a look first, then figure out the logistics. Doing a Rover in the UK, it might be a bit easier to arrange all the details, but if you already have the Toyota needed, then all the better. Feel free to send me a PM and I will send along what information I have, if you like.

JMPC

Observer
No convinced either

I have never understood these, very expensive and not demoutable.

They have to graft the unit to the back of the donar vehicle, it then does not come off.

So, you don´t get any more advatages than with a demountable for less money, it does not demount, and your left with a depreciating vehicle that you can´t swap.

The whole USP is that its contruction is one moulded piece of fibreglass, so less seams to leak and go wrong. But I don't see that enough of a reason to buy it

ALl the best
JMPC

GlobalMonkey

Adventurer
I came across their site last night.
I had seen it before but I think I overlooked it.

It looks like this may be exactly what we are looking for.

Price is a bit steep but I have not seen anything else on the market that offers the same package:

-compact (fit in a container)
-based on a Toyota
-sleeps 2
-toilet for the gf
-light weight
-lots of storage
-nice interior design
-etc.

I was pretty sold on a Dodge Ram Cummins + truck camper (Bigfoot or Northern lite) but after more research it turns out that both the BigFoot and NL is too wide to fit in a container.

So the quest continues...

Hi Christian,
did you make a final decision on the truck? Which way are you gonna go?
Tomas

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Well, they actually do offer a demountable version : http://www.psi-azalai.com/4x4/?Lababouch-tout-chemin

The advantages for us are access between cab and cabin. The Azalai is apparently very light (and from what I can see very compact !) for all of the features it offers; full kitchen and dining area and most of all a full bath in such a very compact package that will also easily fit into a shipping container.

As for the construction, it is apparently the same manufacturing method as used for insulated refrigeration boxes for commercial delivery trucks, so it keeps one cool when it is very hot out (think desert) and warm when it is cold...

For us, it ticked almost all the boxes except that in the end we need a fixed roof solution. As for cost, no, it is not inexpensive. As for the base vehicle, I think a lot of folks start off with something used which keeps carnet costs down, too. The base vehicle can always be rebuilt/refurbished and considering the wait for one of these conversions, that probably keeps values up, I would think.

I have never understood these, very expensive and not demoutable.

They have to graft the unit to the back of the donar vehicle, it then does not come off.

So, you don´t get any more advatages than with a demountable for less money, it does not demount, and your left with a depreciating vehicle that you can´t swap.

The whole USP is that its contruction is one moulded piece of fibreglass, so less seams to leak and go wrong. But I don't see that enough of a reason to buy it

ALl the best
JMPC

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Other downsides to demountable campers are:

1. Usually a higher Center of Gravity. Frame mounted campers have more potential for mounting heavy items at or below the frame level.

2. Register/title/license/insure: At least in the US, you can typically register/title/license/insure a large truck with a permanent camper as an RV. If the camper is removable you have to register/title/license/insure the truck as a commercial vehicle.

sherwood

Observer
130 azalai camper conversion on ebay

2010 Land Rover Defender 130 Azalai Camper Conversion

A unique opportunity to purchase a fully built ready to go 2010 Land Rover Defender 130 2.4 Puma

£74,000.00, 114,470.60 US dollars

As people have said, very nice but expensive!

!B9u1-HQEWk~$(KGrHqF,!h8EzLYyqcq7BM6p7FZZ3Q~~_3.JPG

Ebay Link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy