TRIP OF LIFETIME, DOUSED BY ATTITUDE

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi Mikey, thanks for taking the time to put this down I've enjoyed the read and great photos.
I'll be following your trips in the future.

regards to all

Gren

unkamonkey

Explorer
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong – that's when adventure starts”
-Yvon Chouinard.

I suppose I'm a strange person but some of my best adventures have been winching others out of a situation. I admit that I have had to winch myself out a couple times but you figured out a solution to get yourself out. Good for you and I hope the smile is back.

mkitchen

Explorer
The smile does seem to be back. With a bit of re-evaluation, we are again doing some travels. We have spent a week camping in and around Bill Williams Mountain, south of Williams AZ. We have spent a bit over a week in and around Moab and this morning I am taking off on a road ride that is going to get me on hwy 191, the old 666, and then into New Mexico. I don't have any really long trips coming up but another trip to AK is in the works but on KLR this time, so we shall see.
Mikey

mkitchen

Explorer
The same Rover

I just realized that the picture of the old Land Rover that I took in Marble CO, is the same Rover that is in the "Overland Legends" article that is in the banner above all the Forums front page. Who would have thought, eh?
Mikey

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Like Martin said, it takes some time and we all have our paths to managing the stress. Eventually you'll keep the veins in your neck and forehead from popping out.

I would have shot the percolator. Just sayin'....

unkamonkey

Explorer
Stress is something everybody has to deal with in their own way. Some take trips to relieve it. That last trip didn't work for you.
As a kid I used to deal with it by mixing up some black powder and blow up the model cars I had carefully put together and now, I just go out and pick apart clay targets with my .22.
Oh yeah, I have bigger smoke sticks than that but the .22 is fine. It's more about the concentration and the accuracy that comes from it. I don't think about other things while I"m out there.
You are one of the few who has gone through Marble and not shown a picture of what they call the Old Mill. Supposedly one of the most photographed places in CO.
OK, it supplied compressed air and power for the mines and quarries around there.
Remember where your smile should be and I hope your bike trip works out better.

Happykamper

Explorer
Look at all you have accomplished thus far. Not only for yourself but for others. When I was out of high school .I went to live in Kemmerer Wy.
First worked at Utah power just outside of town , then on an oil Rig ... Manning one!
The triangle in the center of town is home to the very first JC Penny . Then the rest were mainly bars. Whoo hooo the drinking age then in Wyoming was 18.
The time there was short but memorable.
I started going out with a gal ....who I later found out was the town judges daughter. He knew what we were doing and asked when I would be marrying her. Lol I left the next day back to California ..

Keep going your doing great.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I once had to do a "quickie" getaway trip. This would be an overnighter, with wheeling in the morning. I drove out to a known area so I could settle in quickly, have a few beers and go to bed. On the Tonto, you need to purchase passes to camp in places like this. For this reason, I always carry extra passes. I arrived at the dispersed campground and it was empty. I located the best site around, which required me to back down a narrow two-track about a hundred yards. I'm finally parked where I want, got a fire going and went to validate my pass before the ranger appeared. The pass was expired. By like a year. Bummer. Put out the fire. gather the unburned wood, pack up and drive back out. I had scouted a site not in the permit area for just this reason. It was not as nice, but it was free. I drove back to it and settled in. Got a fire started and cracked a beer. About ten minutes of flames and Keeerack! Wow, I thought, that was a big rock explosion. Keerack! Again! and again and every few minutes now. These were not overheated rocks, this was ammo exploding. I stood with my quad on it's trailer between me and the exploding ordnance pile. The fire kept popping, I was standing too far away to get warm and I did not want to go near it. I climbed in the back of the van, had another beer and watched the fire burn down. That was a damn cold night, temps below freezing.

Bleary-eyed, I got up the next morning thinking some wheeling would make everything better. A dawn ride through the desert, the crisp air and all would be well. Put the key in the ignition. click. Battery dead. Drained from the cold. I could do nothing more. Frustrated, I packed it up and headed back to town. Driving out, the only thing I could come up with is "a bad day camping is better than any good day in the office". It's trips like this that make us appreciate that much more when everything goes right.

danfromsyr

Adventurer
it's not always easy to go right into homelessness
so take some slightly longer or farther trips each time.
stop at sights and attractions that interest you more often. afterall you've got the 'time'

set destinations by area/region then discover what is there you didn't know about to begin with.

Chili

Explorer
I think it is good that you posted this, even if it didn't go as expected. What a great learning experience.

I'm still a ways off from retirement but my wife and I tried the 'unplanned' trip thing 2 years ago. We had a rough idea of what we wanted to do but tried not to plan more specifically than that. This was only a 10 day trip, but similar to you, we ended up cutting it short. We still had a good time overall, but there was a good amount of stress involved too, which killed my mood a couple of times. We woke up with a couple of days to go and I threw out the idea "what do you think of packing up and heading home this morning?" Her response was immediate; "Yeah, I was going to suggest the same thing". lol

I learned a couple of things from that trip:
1. I like a base camp. I hated the tent being on the truck as there were several times I wanted to drive somewhere while camp was set up but felt locked in place. Since there were only 2 of us on that trip, we really didn't need the space of the trailer. As a result, I put the tent on the truck instead of our trailer. That probably won't happen again.
2. I prefer to have a little more detailed itinerary. One of the biggest stresses for me on that trip was finding a place to camp. I was constantly worried that we weren't going to find a good spot, even when there were plenty. So now I know where we are going to stay each night, and have 2-3 backups if our preferred places are not available.

arpisme

Well done Mikey and the rest of you that have gotten the hang of retirement! I'm envious... and a ways from retirement.
Anything worth doing usually takes a bit of practice. You'll get it.

toddz69

Explorer
Thanks for the great write-up, Mikey! Lots to think about here - from yet another 47 year old :).

Todd Z.

mkitchen

Explorer
I once had to do a "quickie" getaway trip. This would be an overnighter, with wheeling in the morning. I drove out to a known area so I could settle in quickly, have a few beers and go to bed. On the Tonto, you need to purchase passes to camp in places like this. For this reason, I always carry extra passes. I arrived at the dispersed campground and it was empty. I located the best site around, which required me to back down a narrow two-track about a hundred yards. I'm finally parked where I want, got a fire going and went to validate my pass before the ranger appeared. The pass was expired. By like a year. Bummer. Put out the fire. gather the unburned wood, pack up and drive back out. I had scouted a site not in the permit area for just this reason. It was not as nice, but it was free. I drove back to it and settled in. Got a fire started and cracked a beer. About ten minutes of flames and Keeerack! Wow, I thought, that was a big rock explosion. Keerack! Again! and again and every few minutes now. These were not overheated rocks, this was ammo exploding. I stood with my quad on it's trailer between me and the exploding ordnance pile. The fire kept popping, I was standing too far away to get warm and I did not want to go near it. I climbed in the back of the van, had another beer and watched the fire burn down. That was a damn cold night, temps below freezing.

Bleary-eyed, I got up the next morning thinking some wheeling would make everything better. A dawn ride through the desert, the crisp air and all would be well. Put the key in the ignition. click. Battery dead. Drained from the cold. I could do nothing more. Frustrated, I packed it up and headed back to town. Driving out, the only thing I could come up with is "a bad day camping is better than any good day in the office". It's trips like this that make us appreciate that much more when everything goes right.

That does sound like quite the camp. I have never had a campfire shoot at me before and the experience doesn't sound like a lot of fun. We have all had some in-hospitable camps but yours takes the award. Yours is a very good outlook.
Thank you
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues