Tripod head question / opinion

JMacs

Observer
After our trip to Yellowstone last week, I realized it’s time to upgrade our tripod that we use for our spotting scope. I am considering either a gimbal head or a traditional pan/tilt fluid head.

I like the ease of moving the scope around with the gimbal, but I am a little concerned about the stability in the wind. I don’t have any experience with one. Or really any experience with a good pan/tilt. My current tripod has been around for too many years, is pretty solid, but not very smooth to use. And a little heavy.

Any thoughts, or experiences you can share?

We have a Vortex Viper HD angled 20-60x85 scope.

Joe917

Explorer
Personally I only use the fluid head for video. Otherwise its a high quality ball head.
Canon 7Dii and 100-400 L
Manfrotto 055

JackW

Explorer
I use a Really Right Stuff carbon fiber tripod with a RRS ball head on it - it was an extravagant purchase but I had a big aluminum Gitzo that weighed a ton before that.
I scored a Really Right Stuff gimbal at my favorite camera store - KEH a couple of years ago and I use it on my Gitzo carbon fiber monopod at car races.
Yeah - spend way too much money on this hobby. I shoot a Canon 1Dx Mk II so its a big heavy DSLR especially with my 100-400 zoom on it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad