Truck Bed Camper vs RTT

SaMingTRD

Alright, this dilemma is driving me nuts...for the life of me I can not decide which route to take with selecting my 00-04 Tacoma. I have these 2 options of sleeping quarters which leads to the 2 options of Access Cab or Double Cab to choose from.

Option 1= Like BajaTaco's build up. Get an access cab and shell then build a sweet storage/bed system in the back, my K-9 traveler (65lb) will have to remain in the cab during travels and maybe sleep there or sleep with me in the bed. I would remove the front passanger seat with this option.

Option 2= Like Expedition's West Build up. Get a double cab w/ no shell and set up the RTT over the bed. This leaves the option of the dog sleeping in the secure cab or bunking next to me in the RTT which he could jump in no problem.

To note I am 6'2 and I just fit in the back of the access cab, the double cab is a squeeze and I need to curl up in the fetal position. I am not interested in mounting a RTT on the roof of the shell or deploying a tent on the ground anymore. Also I live east of the Mississippi (Kentucky) so there are ticks, mosquitos, black bears, copperheads and bobcats to name a few to worry about. This will be my first expo rig and will be my daily driver.

Let me hear your thoughts, thanks for your time.
-SaMing TRD

Rexsname

Explorer
I've been closely considering a FlipPac. The bed of the truck is still (mostly) usable for cargo and they make it for both the Xtra cab and the double cab. They are a bit more expensive than a regular topper but not once you add up the costs of the topper, roof top tent and rack/mounting system.

I dont knoe how to add a link to a thread but it's an easy search both on this portal and on the intraweb.

REX

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Haha! Rex!

I would say kermit has the setup.
Either that or a sleeping platform in the bed under a shell. VERY STEALTH setup. I like the stealth thing a lot. :peepwall:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you decide to try to camp out in the shell (as opposed to the RTT, Wildernest or Flip-Pac ideas) I would recommend against a cab-high shell. It's just too confined. It's like sleeping under someone's bed.

I guess maybe if you were in the Navy for a few years and were used to sleeping in those tiny little racks with no headroom it would be OK but I find the cab-high shell to be totally inadequate as a camper.

SaMingTRD

the flip-pac is a viable solution, but it doesnt leave room for a much needed light bar or extra cargo with a roof rack.

I totally forgot that the 00-04's only have cab high shells...so it's a sacrifice for headroom or cargo space...

maybe the the 1st Gen Taco isnt for me...I wonder how OldSven or WillIam use there set ups?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
SaMingTRD said:
I totally forgot that the 00-04's only have cab high shells...so it's a sacrifice for headroom or cargo space...

Ummm....

2008_0626_194403AA.jpg

They're not as common as cab-high shells, but they're out there. This one is a Raven and an excellent shell. I had one on my Ranger and loved it.

Here is an ARE MX shell on a 2wd 1st gen Tacoma:

mx_toyota2.jpg

Last edited:

VikingVince

Explorer
SaMingTRD said:
the flip-pac is a viable solution, but it doesnt leave room for a much needed light bar or extra cargo with a roof rack.

Not so...check out my cargo rack in the link below. I use it for light items like fold-up chairs, rollup table, shovel. Yes, I take off the chairs/table before opening the flippac but it works. (I leave the shovel in place) However, don't get a rack like mine...too heavy...just use two load bars with the rubber holders (forgot what they're called)

Edit...Quick Fists...that's what the rubber holders are callled....I have 3 pair of the large ones on the rack...there's one pic in the link that shows them... they would work great on the load bars.

Also check out Suntinez pics of her flippac in this thread http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1743&highlight=flippac

I've also had a shell/sleeping in the truck bed...never did do the deck build thing. For me, I love the standup living space of the flippac and would never go back to a shell...flippac fits my style of staying in one place for a few days and basecamping. So I think a large part of your decision should be based on what you plan to do the most. Tradeoffs in all options...

Last edited:

Rexsname

Explorer
:eek: I have lights planned for the front bumper not on top. I have thought it through and decided that I do not was anything up on top. On the road, any areodynamic drag is $$$.

X2+ on the CabHi Toppers. It is soooo nice to be able to sit up or, better yet stand up. I thint that with a bit of planning I'll be ablt to come up with some storage ideas that will allow me to keep the roof line clear. It's going to be a stretch going from a 35' 5th wheel to a truck topper but I think we will be OK.

What works for me might be a rotten idea for you........What works for you might work out just fine for me:eek:

REX

VikingVince

Explorer
Rexsname said:
:eek: I have lights planned for the front bumper not on top. I have thought it through and decided that I do not was anything up on top. On the road, any areodynamic drag is $$$.

REX

I'm not so sure about that Rex...I haven't noticed any difference in mpg with or without my chairs/table on top...they're just narrow, rolled up items sitting in the same direction as the wind passing over. I suppose theoretically there's minor drag but from my experience, not prohibitive to having them there.

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Some things to consider are overall weight added to the vehicle and what type of sleeping arrangement you prefer.

1. Weight of setup: Choice of tent, and whatever mounting and storage configs you use vs. weight of a camper shell and whatever storage/bed config. you use. Less weight is better.

2. Sleeping arrangement:

The shell with cargo/sleeping deck has the advantage of stealth camping, hard shell protection (no flapping in wind, quieter in a storm), mostly impervious to vandalism, and you can mount things to the roof if you want to (esp. kayaks/canoes). Disadvantages are less headroom (unless you get a really tall shell), if two people sleeping inside, must remove some gear from sleeping platform, shells are always prone to dribbling water leaks and dust ingress (some worse than others), you can't vent very well in a downpour (only the front slider can be cracked without letting rain in) so this can be an issue if it's warm when raining.

The tent mounted above the bed has the advantage of more headroom (usually), more leg room (usually), no need to move gear off bed to sleep, bed stays dry and dust free (with sometimes minor exceptions), depending on mounting system, can be removed when not in use, vents well. Disadvantages are more noise (flappy in wind, noisy in storms), can present challenges to hauling kayaks/canoes depending on rack system used, Ladder required for entry/exit.

I've used both systems on my Tacoma, and I slightly prefer the tent over the shell, but my wife likes the shell better than the tent. I don't like to use earplugs, but I often have to in the tent when it's being noisy (removing the fly helps, if there is a removable one.)

Regarding the MPG and fuel efficiency, I think there is a point of diminishing return with the Tacomas. My truck is well into the mid-5s as far as weight, and with a roof tent on top of my shell, plus a canoe on top of the roof tent, I am still able to get 18mpg by keeping RPM's down and speeds at 65mph or less. 16-18 with mixed use. I think once you go past a certain weight and bulk over stock, the numbers don't continue to change that much. In other words, if I shaved 500 lbs of weight and 12" of vertical profile from my truck, I'm not so sure I could do much better on the MPG. If I were to take 1000 lbs off, and the same 12" height reduction, that might make a difference. Of course I'm just guessing, but those are my impressions.

I think this thread would get more responses in the "General Vehicle Mods" section, so let me know if you'd like me (or another moderator) to move it.

CYi5

Explorer
For your needs with the dog I think a wildernest would be awesome, but even a RTT with a fairly open bed space below it would work fine. I've slept in the back with the can-back before, and being 6' it's a little bit like a coffin and i had to sleep diagonally. The RTT is much more comfortable, and this over-the-bed setup is what i'm using for the summer when things don't need to be kept dry. It's a nice little nook underneath the tent and most of the bed is actually quite shaded by the RTT being so low and wide.

mg2745gq0.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven