Truck Bed Camper vs RTT

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Paul R said:
I had a RTT over the bed and it worked great but definitely had its limitations. I could only use bins and storage solutions of certain sizes. I never really had a hard time getting to my gear but had to come up with different ways to pack and fit everything in. I since picked up a canvas shell and put the tent on top of that and I have all the storage I need :)

As for the ARB tent you should definitely talk to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, he just picked one up (He also carries them) and he can explain the all the ins and outs of it, he also has an interesting way to have it mounted so the top of the tent it at the cab heighth. He is also local to you I'm sure you could swing over and check it out :cool:

Thanks for the info. I've also been thinking of picking up some of these t-racs, because I would like to pack canoes and kayaks. I like that they're removable, and if I could use that for the tent, then have all of my gear under that, then that would work out the best for me. What do you think?

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
My biggest issue with RTT's is simply that I need to hauld things on the roof that can't be done with one mounted. Canoes, kayaks, bikes, lumber etc. My solution I use for my Tundra was to meet a few criteria. Cost effective, comfortable for overland style camping, able to use for hauling building materials, secure and lockable interior space, a simple design that meets multiple needs, and the desire to keep the truck as stock as possible retaining mileage, looks, and onroad comfort.

I went with and ARE cap with slider windows and screen and built a SUPER simple bed with drawers and cubby compartment system. It works great but this isn't my primary rig so I don't use it as much and in as acclimate weather. The main issues with this setup were stated earlier. The lack of ventilation in rain without running an awning off the side of the vehicle, and the lack of headroom if you run a full width bed system like I have. It is particulary low headroom in an early Tundra like mine since the bed is so shallow.

With this setup though I find the most versatility with uses for the truck. If I was using it primarily for overlanding, then a different solution might work better but for my compromises for the truck, this was the best and most cost effective solution.

328.jpg

moab_2.jpg

surfobx2009

Is that a futon mattress you are using in there?
upcruiser said:
My biggest issue with RTT's is simply that I need to hauld things on the roof that can't be done with one mounted. Canoes, kayaks, bikes, lumber etc. My solution I use for my Tundra was to meet a few criteria. Cost effective, comfortable for overland style camping, able to use for hauling building materials, secure and lockable interior space, a simple design that meets multiple needs, and the desire to keep the truck as stock as possible retaining mileage, looks, and onroad comfort.

I went with and ARE cap with slider windows and screen and built a SUPER simple bed with drawers and cubby compartment system. It works great but this isn't my primary rig so I don't use it as much and in as acclimate weather. The main issues with this setup were stated earlier. The lack of ventilation in rain without running an awning off the side of the vehicle, and the lack of headroom if you run a full width bed system like I have. It is particulary low headroom in an early Tundra like mine since the bed is so shallow.

With this setup though I find the most versatility with uses for the truck. If I was using it primarily for overlanding, then a different solution might work better but for my compromises for the truck, this was the best and most cost effective solution.

328.jpg

moab_2.jpg

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
surfobx2009 said:
Is that a futon mattress you are using in there?
Yep. It works great and I swear it ends up being more comfortable then my bed at home. Its not quite as wide as the sleeping platform which works great. It gives you some space for shoes, overnight bags, etc. For that trip we just basically just used sleeping bags as bedding and as a comforter. Plenty warm, comfortable, and simple.

Stealth 4x4

Adventurer
Flip Pac or Custom

If I had the cash, I'd go flip-pac. Since I am on a budget, I built my own platform with a flip-open lid and an extension for sleeping and bought a truck tent to go over it. The platform I designed is securely lockable (it locks the tailgate too). I built it for $250 and paid another $250 for the truck tent with a good rainfly. It survived hurricaine season in Mexico for 3 months in '05, and I saved a ton of cash over any other option we could find.

With a lockable platform, queen-sized self-inflating airbed with foam inside, and a good rainfly that was all the wife and I needed to enjoy a fabulous expedition that took us through Mex from coast to coast, as far south as you can go in Oaxaca and back home to AZ.

Downside = its a little ugly. Every other side is up, or so we decided.

I have a more detailed build thread on TTORA at:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1421231#post1421231

But here's a shot of it with the lid closed.

DSC_7595.jpg

If you can handle the fact that it's not all shiny and pretty, this could be an option for you.

I3erto

get the best of both worlds. get a shell for the bed, and ladder racks. then you have the shell for storage and you can mount a roof top tent to the ladder racks.

Stealth 4x4

Adventurer
The new Cooking Counter

Had to post up a shot of the new camping counter attachment we made so we'd have a place to cook when the truck tent is up. When the tent is on it is more difficult to use the tailgate to cook on. This was much easier. The counter packs away inside the cap when we're done and can be quickly clipped on to either side of the bed using the carabiner clips and eyebolts.

DSC_0777.jpg

A little more info and a couple more shots are up at our build thread on TTORA here...

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115481

highlux

Observer
Thought I would share my setup for ideas......
I had my tent mounted on the bed for my trip down to SNT in Cali so I could pick up a Front Runner Bakkie Rack from Paul at Equipt. This rack would mount it above the bed....but at cab height (to make it easier to get at items in the bed, but not screw up aerodynamics too much) while we toured through Death Valley and back home.

On the way down south.....this actually worked out really well for setting up and packing the tent for use and travel. Nice height to play with the straps and such. However, it basically blocked most of my rear window.
DeathValley08004.jpg

Now with the new rack, I could see plenty out the rear, but I thought about adding a rearview mirror similar to a '53 Vette....mounted on the dash to give a better angle on the view out the back. I guess it was a bit trickier to get the tent tucked away now, cuz it was higher now. Still not too bad to work the tent....and I could feel the weight was a bit higher now of course.
DeathValley08023.jpg

Here's a shot from behind to show the visibilty, and a different angle of my new bigger rack, hehe....:)
DeathValley08161.jpg

Here's a poser shot...to show the height better. I wouldn't be real keen on having the tent any higher than this for a number of reasons: I wouldn't want the weight any higher; I would like to keep the profile of the truck as small as possible for drag; and any higher would necessitate some stool of some sort to reach the tent for opening/closing (need to work on making this truck a little smaller, don't need it this high!)
DeathValley08230.jpg

I will be trying this setup more often come nicer weather, but so far two thumbs up!
And of course once you go RTT, you never go back! I do like the homebrew sleeping decks some of y'all have built, very clever and cost effective, but figured I go for this rack because it's so simple and lightweight (all aluminum).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven