Truck bed storage ideas

Magnitude

So once I get my topper, I'm planning on putting a mattress in the back for camping like the pictures. Thing is I need storage on the sides instead of a drawer system under the bed because I want to sit up. I know I can build it from wood, but I was thinking of pre-built things I could leave in the bed with the topper removed. I've only seen the below so far. Any better ideas?

VDP wheel well storage (You can stack 4 of them?)
Kind of like a Ram box
UWS wheel well toolbox

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.34.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.34.52 AM.png

2020 Ford F250 Lariat Tremor 6.7 Diesel

KWJohnston

Great thread topic ! I'm researching ideas for my 2017 F150 Supercab myself. I want to get as much of the extra stuff out of my cab as I can. Things like jumper cables, rope, tool kits, flashlights, ect all tend to junk up your cab. These sort of things stay with the vehicle at all times so it makes sense they should be properly stored away in a permanent location. I would rather have cab space available for things I wanna keep out of the weather. Or trip specific items that may be taken out and swapped around depending on what your doing.

I haven't decided If I want to go the Shell or Rack route for the bed. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I do think I wanna try the Decked System or Truck Vault depending on what I can find used. I know that's not what your interested in so I'll throw this out:

The swing out boxes are a great idea. I dislike the one with the little slide out drawers at the bottom because I'm not hauling nuts n bolts around to construction sites and the drawers are too small to hold much else. The ones with the larger interior volume would be much more useful. With a camper shell on the truck you can't access the box from the side of the truck, so you would want the swing out version. Unless your ok climbing into the bed every time you have to get something out of the box.

Also, at one time I remember seeing an overhead slide out cargo rack for the inside of camper shells. I'll have to look for a link. That would give you some storage inside your shell without interfering with the sleeping surface.

Other members with more experience and better creativity will probably offer up even better ideas. I'm gonna keep a check on this thread for ideas as well.

tatanka48

Tractor Supply Northern Tool and like farm stores offer several metal(aluminium or steel) boxes that fit in the corners of the bed w/ a portion of them extending over the wheel well

they come w/ either end or side hinges depending on the brands w/ some fitting either ahead of the wheel well or behind it. they can be mounted too open from the outside or inside

41909_1_65x65.jpg

BON CHANCE

"T"

Grassland

I'd go dual swing out boxes at the tailgate end and maybe a pair of fixed boxes at the cab end, but depends what your uses are when not sleeping in the back.
The aluminum truck Ford swing out boxes are a no drill install, and you can remove the boxes without tools. (Not the mounting frame, just the boxes)
This would be handy to free up some width at the tail gate end and easier access to your factory tie down hooks

Anton39

I had mine installed a wheel well tool box kit. For me, it functions as storage for my essentials like spare batteries, cables and emergency supplies. Basically it occupies the unused space for my truck. If you want to know more or look into wheel well tool box buyers guide here's a good article read.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Have you already ordered your shell/topper? If not, I'd highly recommend win-doors on the side. It's so nice to be able to access cargo from the side of the truck instead of having to go in from the tailgate to reach something that is all the way at the front of the bed.

I'm trying to figure some kind of sleep platform in my F-150 as well. My dilemma is that because the bed on my CCSB is only 5.5' and I'm 6'1", I need to be able to sleep diagonally which means I need to be above the wheel wells so I can use the entire width of the bed.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One potential issue you might have with some of those boxes designed to fit on the side of the bed is that if your topper has a "rail" that extends over the inside edge of the bed, it could make it difficult or impossible to open the boxes with the topper on. And then there are the C-Clamps that hold the topper to the bed, how would you get around those? Only potential solution I can think of is to drill holes through the bottom edge of the topper and bolt the topper directly to the truck bed.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Then again, maybe you're overthinking it a bit? After all, how much "stuff" are you actually going to be carrying? Could you not simply put your stuff into plastic boxes and then when it's time to sleep, arrange the boxes along one side with your sleeping setup along the other side? That would be the quick, simple way and would require no modifications to your vehicle.

"Setting up" your bed would take no more than a few minutes and tearing down (and restoring to "travel configuration") the same.

I'm a KISS guy - Keep It Simple, Stupid. Or as we used to say in the Army "If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid." ;)

phsycle

Adventurer
I'm trying to figure some kind of sleep platform in my F-150 as well. My dilemma is that because the bed on my CCSB is only 5.5' and I'm 6'1", I need to be able to sleep diagonally which means I need to be above the wheel wells so I can use the entire width of the bed.

I’ve slept diagonally in a 5.5’ bed without the need to be above the wheel wells. I’m about an inch shorter than you. But know others 6’1-2” that have slept just throwing down a sleeping pad from one corner to another. Plus you can sit up in bed without cracking your head open!

Not the best if you need to have a bunch of stuff in the bed with you and have to rearrange. Those tote boxes make it a simpler job though, instead of permanent storage boxes.

Truck shell tents aren’t a bad idea, either.

1609349450951.jpeg

Grassland

I can open my swing case on the passenger side with my cap/topper on and with the case against the truck bed side, but the lid does not open 100%. In most cases I can get in and out whatever I have in there, but depending what you had it might not work.
But you could just push the bed back a bit and swing the case out some for total access.
Also you can undo the latch and lift the whole thing out.

Porkchopexpress

So once I get my topper, I'm planning on putting a mattress in the back for camping like the pictures. Thing is I need storage on the sides instead of a drawer system under the bed because I want to sit up.

Or... go with a drawer system and a high roof topper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal