Trump's 03 Tacoma

trump

Adventurist
Mark,

Where did you get your Manual Hub swap info? Did you follow a write up?

Thanks,

Cameron

I'm not sure if there was ever any particular write up that I followed. I know I read a bunch about it in various threads on TTORA when I was putting a parts list together; however, I never used a step-by-step. I'd suggest looking over there first. I'd help direct you with some good links, but I'm out of the country for a few months, so it makes it harder for me to find.

Costman13

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply. I've been reading around on there as well. I was just curious if you had a good parts list so that I don't miss anything before buying parts.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but all I need is the hubs, spindles, CV's, bearings and seals? I do not have ABS so no issues there. I do have push button 4WD, although I don't believe that will effect anything for a swap.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Need:

-Axles
-hubs
-new bearings and seals can't hurt

don't need new spindles though.

to make an ADD diff work though you need to make the tube on the passenger side that has the actuator on it to move the slider lock onto its shaft on all the time. I know on J shift ones that are vacuum operated you just tie off the vacuum line. Not sure if you have to do this with your electronic one..might be fine just leaving it.

trump

Adventurist
Need:

-Axles
-hubs
-new bearings and seals can't hurt

don't need new spindles though.

to make an ADD diff work though you need to make the tube on the passenger side that has the actuator on it to move the slider lock onto its shaft on all the time. I know on J shift ones that are vacuum operated you just tie off the vacuum line. Not sure if you have to do this with your electronic one..might be fine just leaving it.

I manually positioned my bad actuator to be engaged, and put a hose clamp on the fork shaft preventing it from moving back.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Yea thats the best way to ensure the diff stays locked since your gonnna be locking the hubs separately.

Costman13

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply fellas. I have a guy locally here selling the parts (minus new bearings and seals) for $400. That sounds about right to me. I could take his diff as well, but would rather keep mine, being that I know it works. I may pass this up for now. As they say, "don't fix it 'till it's broke"...

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
Loving the build on this 1st gen :drool:

Making really think about building on mine instead of updating to a newer truck, and also making my decision of a flip-pac or a RTT much more difficult. Question though, have you noticed any major differences in wheeling or going on trails with the flip-pac vs the RTT or stability issues?

trump

Adventurist
Thanks for the reply fellas. I have a guy locally here selling the parts (minus new bearings and seals) for $400. That sounds about right to me. I could take his diff as well, but would rather keep mine, being that I know it works. I may pass this up for now. As they say, "don't fix it 'till it's broke"...

No worries. Just remember, they're not easy to find.

Loving the build on this 1st gen :drool:

Making really think about building on mine instead of updating to a newer truck, and also making my decision of a flip-pac or a RTT much more difficult. Question though, have you noticed any major differences in wheeling or going on trails with the flip-pac vs the RTT or stability issues?

Thanks.

I barely noticed any difference at all between the two. As far as trail selection it hasn't limited me at all in the places I want to go, although I will admit that I wouldn't risk some of the trails or particular lines that I used to take. With the Deaver springs in the rear it is solid and has never felt top heavy to me. Minus the rack weight, it is only about 100 lbs heavier than the RTT setup I was using.

trump

Adventurist
wow, great thread. just read it from start to finish. and always good to see another SD person.

Thanks, welcome to ExPo.

...and on to an update.

I made a number of small changes to the truck recently due to a much necessary overhaul of my navigation equipment. My Garmin GPSMap 478 was never really suited for off highway vehicle use. It was purchased for use with my boat and worked well for that and while on the road, but it was starting to show its age. The only functions it provided while off highway were a set of coordinates and “breadcrumb” trail, so I was long overdue for an update.

The answer came to me after purchasing a tablet for my most recent deployment. I got the tablet for entertainment and computing needs while I was deployed, but after making the purchase I discovered how well some of the mapping applications worked with the unit. With two $10 apps my Nexus 7 made my Garmin hopelessly obsolete in just about every way. It was an easy decision to put a mount for it in the truck and call the job done.

A good friend had an extra tablet mount hanging around that happened to be the exact make and model that I had been looking at online. The Ram Mount “Tab-tite” quickly and securely holds the tablet in place. The mount is fastened to the dash with the use of a bracket from Panavice made specifically for the interior of the Tacoma. I also hardwired a USB cable into the dash to keep the tablet charged.

After installing the tablet I pulled the CB radio out of the truck. I can remember the last time I used the thing and honestly would rather sit in silence without communication than have to try and understand anything broadcasted on it. With the space freed up, I made a little modification to my existing bracket and moved the ham radio down to the former ashtray location.

The end result is something that at one time I would have considered cluttered. Now, after years of use I value the ergonomics of this setup far more than tucking equipment out of the way.

20140223_143445_zps07a3c3c8.jpg

Sempertoy

Explorer
hahaha, I feel the exact same way about CB's. People I wheel with here keep telling me to get one, and I say it's not worth listening to a bunch of idiots with useless chatter. Grown men turn into children when you put a CB in their hands.

Good work on the tablet mount. I want to do something similar with my ipad mini.

Dylan318

Absolutely love the truck! Im planning on eventually upgrading to arb lockers front and back, one quick question though. What Compressor are you using?

trump

Adventurist
Thanks.

I'm not using a compressor at all, actually. I'm using a CO2 system with a Powertank ARB connection manifold.

kybray44

Awesome build up, everything seems well thought out and done right.

Have you noticed any change in stability since changing to the pizza cutters?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal