Trump's 03 Tacoma

trump

Adventurist
Nice... I'll keep my eyes out.

Love those Hella 4000's, BTW. I wish I could get the durability and weight of the LF240's with the excellent beam quality of the Hella's. It was a toss up for me that came down to a classified ad here on the portal.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Mark what is the weight of the steelies? I've been thinking about going that route too.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
CIMG2084_zpsaef95f29.jpg

I also added new bedding, finally. Instead of the sheets and comforter, we're now using The North Face Dolomite 3S Double sleeping bag. It's dimensions are as close to perfect as you'll find for the Flip-Pac's size. It was plenty warm in 30 degree weather and I imagine I would be comfortable in it all the way to its 20 degree rating. If you're a cold sleeper it might not be enough for you. I also finally ditched the full size pillows we've been carting around from home for Nemo Fillo's. They provide fantastic comfort and support in a pillow that packs small and only weighs 10.9 oz.

How do the straps work? Did you just loop under the mattress? It would be great to leave my sleeping bags when "flipping" closed each day! Thanks!

Costman13

Adventurer
Nice... I'll keep my eyes out.

Love those Hella 4000's, BTW. I wish I could get the durability and weight of the LF240's with the excellent beam quality of the Hella's. It was a toss up for me that came down to a classified ad here on the portal.

The LF240's seem to fit better as well. I had to cut into the grill a bit to get them to mount without drilling further holes in the bumper. Though, the projection of the Hella lights are outstanding!

trump

Adventurist
Mark what is the weight of the steelies? I've been thinking about going that route too.

IIRC they're 26 lbs. Only 2 pounds heavier than my 16x8 aluminum wheels.

How do the straps work? Did you just loop under the mattress? It would be great to leave my sleeping bags when "flipping" closed each day! Thanks!

Yup, haven't had any issues with the mattress coming un-velcroed while flipping yet.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
IIRC they're 26 lbs. Only 2 pounds heavier than my 16x8 aluminum wheels.

8Lbs all around, not a bad trade off. Do you think they are stronger than the aluminum wheels? They look great. Whats your take on them?

trump

Adventurist
8Lbs all around, not a bad trade off. Do you think they are stronger than the aluminum wheels? They look great. Whats your take on them?

The steelies are stronger for sure. Rocks took their toll on the bead of my aluminum wheels. I didn't ever manage to crack them like some people worry about, but I was always amazed how often a rock managed to gouge out the lip of those wheels. So far, I've seen no evidence of that happening with the steelies. That said, the real reason for the switch was to move back to a narrower wheel to mount the 255's on. The strength is an added benefit... along with better balancing of the hubcentric wheels.

hoptroll

Pool Boy
Fortunately, steelies for second gens are much easier to find. It took quite a bit of time to find a set with first gen friendly Backspacing.

I love the look of the steelies. Wouldn't the 2nd gen or tundra backspacing work? Or would you get rub? Really want to get a set but want to make sure my newer 31x10.5R16 BFG AT's will fit

trump

Adventurist
I love the look of the steelies. Wouldn't the 2nd gen or tundra backspacing work? Or would you get rub? Really want to get a set but want to make sure my newer 31x10.5R16 BFG AT's will fit

2nd Gen Tacoma has 5.25 backspacing and may or may not clear the upper control arms in the front of a 1st gen. Either way, it will narrow your track width. In my case it would make my stance a full 1" narrower.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think my steelies are from a 1st gen Tundra. These have 4.75" BS rather than 4.5" that are the norm on 1st gens.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal