ext_open.jpg

To this. test drive day!

tundra_test_drive.jpg

Some small changes and 90k maintenance.

steelies.jpg

Inspiration

70series.jpg

alu-cab.jpg

By way of utility topper, roof rack storage, armor and bumpers.

topper.jpg

thecriscokid

Explorer
New Topper. Tall Can...

I Just picked up this Leer Journeyman topper today on craigslist for 180 and it was only about 15min away! It's a little rough around the edges but I think it will be great. A coat of paint on inside, maybe even color match the outside?? Though it's not far off, maybe just a wash on the truck? I have been looking at driving 6 hours and paying upwards of 1500 for one like it. It has a full 4ft from the bed floor to the roof so there is plenty of room for me (6ft) to sit above the wheel wells and still have head room. All the doors open without compartments. I'd like to design a compartment for a fold out kitchen and that will be in the works soon. The topper is also much lighter than I had expected. I have been thinking of doing a pop top (just like my dear old westy) and the extra height will give me plenty of material to work with. That's down the road. For now I'll be getting to work on the interior. I'm thinking bamboo plywood for my storage and kitchen then I don't have to worry about water and carpet, we all know they don't mix.

As far as the Yokohama Geolandar It GO72 tires that I have been running, well I can't say enough good things about them. Soft rubber, lots of sipes, quiet and soft ride. Oh, and unbelievable traction in snow, ice, mud and everything else. I'm going to run them a bit longer into the spring and give them a couple of desert trips as well.

Hope you all had a good winter. Plenty of on snow adventures here. I'll throw up a couple of pics just for fun

SEE ATTACHMENT 3 REPLIES BELOW

Last edited:

rovingowl

Observer
i priced a similar cap today. $2300! looks like i'll being searching craigs list as well. looking forward to the build. i like the early tundras.

dyogim

Explorer
Nice find on the topper for $180! It's amazing what you can find on CL. Found a brand new set of toyota stock steel wheels (16") for only $40.

buldyourown

Observer
i priced a similar cap today. $2300! looks like i'll being searching craigs list as well. looking forward to the build. i like the early tundras.

You should be able to do better than that. My well optioned ARE DCU was about $1100. I know they aren't as nicely made as the Leer, but it has some nice features.
Funny. I just bought a Westy because I got tired of sleeping in the back of my truck. Everybody has their priorities.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Tall Can

The Tall Can had it's 1st run around the dessert this past weekend. My main needs in building are bike transport, and being able to sit upright inside. A quick spray of the interior and a 1st attempt at a bed system. The final may be out of bamboo ply. Probably some better storage as well. Not bad for a quick morning before I leave job though
TallCan1.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

TallCan2.jpg

TallCanspray.jpg

thecriscokid

Explorer
Mod month

This is going to be a good Mod month for me!
Just ordered some custom Alcan springs and have Camburg UCA's in the garage. Going with OME rear shocks for now. I'm still debating doing Fox extended coilovers and rear shocks?? I'm kind of brand loyal with Fox I guess. I have ridden and worked on Fox bike suspension for some time.
I have been talking with Hugh at Safari Ltd about the OME springs and dampers that he is testing on a 1st gen Tundra, but it seems that he is not ready to set any others up yet. Sticking with my aluminium block spacer up front for now.

I have also done a little extra in the bed area. I 'll try for some pics later.

Oh, and got some KM2's last month. they seem nice

I know,I know. PICS

thecriscokid

Explorer
I thought I would continue on this thread a bit.

Last fall I built out a bed and cabinet system before a month on the road. I am happy with the set up. Plenty of top loaded storage on the passenger side, fold down Engel compartment at the tail gate that is currently used for food and cook boxes inside a wooden box that doubles as a step/table. Under the front half is the "mud room" for boots and such. I have a shovel mounted under there with quick fist clamps, very easy to get out, a little harder to get back in there.

The drivers side has a bed/storage compartment with a fold out leaf that I use when my wife comes along. I was plenty comfortable for the month on the road.
skis fit under the bed along with tools and bike/ ski clothes.

here are some pics just after it was built.
IMG_6363.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_6366.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy