Turns out I need a real truck. Kindly help me choose one!

hdas

I have the double cab (6.5 ft bed) not the crewmax
Yes, Payload is around 1800.

We are light people, the but say we invite 2 175lbs friends. Thats just 700lbs in people. Alucab alone is 500. Water, skid plates, rocksliders, bigger tires.........I just don't see how you stay even at 2000 with 4 adults.

go with a diesel heater and a bunk heater
Do you have a link?. I was looking at the Webasto systems. I would love not to use the propane stuff.

Flyelk1

Webasto is where I am starting. Have to sell the stove, before I can get it though.

That is a difference in my situation too. Only three adults with me at most. One bike, probably a couple other things makes up that difference. No Goose Gear for me. That stuff is heavy!

nickw

Adventurer
I had a useful thread exploring the idea of a lift + suspension upgrades for an Alu-Cabin build. Upon further examination of payload, It seems that the Tundra (Max Payload ~1800) would be near or below our payload needs. it would be fairly restrictive, specially when inviting someone for traveling or in an longer trip.

View attachment 798342

Im sure this is leaving many things out, which only makes the case for a bigger truck stronger. As a long time Toyota user, I'm very disappointed and feel really skeptical about the reliability of the other brands. However, it seems that before I make some drastic decisions (do a trailer setup), I want to fully explore my options in the bigger truck segment.

Here are the top contenders at the moment, in order of desirability (obviously correlated with price). I wasn't planning on spending this much on a truck, so that gives me some pause. Please comment if you have experience with any of these trucks or have some feedback regarding the decision making process.

Thanks a lot!

Contenders List:

1. RAM 3500 AEV Prospector Package.

prospector-44.jpg

2. RAM 2500 - Rebel

2023-Ram-2500-HD-Rebel-16.jpg

3. Ford F-250 Tremor

2023_ford_f-250-super-duty_crew-cab-pickup_lariat_fq_oem_1_815.jpg

4. GMC Sierra 2500 AT4 or AT4x

my24-gmc-sierra-hd-at4-gmca6553-v2-1665023844.jpg

5. Chevy Silverado HD ZR2 Bison

2023-Chevrolet-Silverado-HD-ZR2-front-three-quarters.jpg
I like the looks of the HD ZR2 Bison the best but if I had to choose, I'd pick a std. F350 and make some simple tire/wheel and offroad upgrades and you'll be $ in the bank. I think the offroad packages are cool but not at the expense based on what you are planning on doing. All these trucks can fit 35+ tires stock.

I have a Ram 2500 Tradesman and while it's a great truck and was "cheap", I like the layout of the ford a bit better with it's flat rear cargo space and a few other minor things.

I'd skip diesel and go gas.

I'd buy a F350, super cab, long bed, 7.3 gas, 4.30 w/rear locker then do a tire upgrade on OEM wheels + hidden winch + some minor offroad upgrades and call it good.

Historically the Ram Tradesman are cheaper (mine was $45k OTD in 2021) but not sure if that is the case anymore.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I get your skepticism about leaving Toyota. I've owned 14 of them. We love our F-250. It's been a good vehicle. Only time I miss our Tundra is when I'm making u-turns. I would do drive all the trucks you're looking at.

They all have the pros and cons.

The RAM 2500 is the best riding in my opinion. It also has a shorter wheelbase and better turning radius.

There are 3 Chevy 3500s in my family and they ride like crap IMO. All are high mileage work trucks and have been super reliable.

We just spent 9 days in southern Colorado on back roads like in your pictures. Any of those trucks will take you there.

Flyelk1 is under their axle ratings but over GVWR.
Curious what year / generation of GM trucks. If older they may ride different than the newer ones the OP would be looking at.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
One '16 and 2 '18s. All SRW diesel purchased new. They ride similar to my F250 when it was stock. Maybe the newer ones are better.
I'm surprised. Generally I read that the GM twins ride nicer than Ford / Ram at the expense of off road prowess due to their IFS.
no personal experience with any of these trucks. Just what I've read....

That being said, I doubt any 1 ton rides great empty. Sound like this won't be a daily driver for the OP. So, if the truck is always loaded ready to head out, the weight in the back will help with the ride regardless of which truck they choose.

The payload is why I switched to a 1 ton. I started with small trucks, went to 1/2 ton then jumped to 1 ton long bed. I travel in Baja and Mexico and went with gas, easier parts and getting it worked on. I don't pull anything. I have overhead rack on top of a Sung Top. It's a Ram but getting aftermarket parts is easier for a Ford, GM has less aftermarket parts. I don't care to much about looks, function is my interest. You will wheeling less in a full size and getting more pinstripes. Everything is tradeoff, the reason I love something is the reason you hate it.

Mike W.

Pick the one with the best wheel color and body trim.. Basically they will all do the same thing, carry the same warranty and may or may not break frequently.. Personally anything not built by GM unless it's says Cadillac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater