Turns out I need a real truck. Kindly help me choose one!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Plenty (most?) on here are parents. When we had our first, we just stacked stuff in the Landcruiser. Pack n play, REI tent, some sort of air mattress, then headed out. All good and fun memories. Don’t overcomplicate things in your head before getting some real world experience of just being out there. Do an overnighter close by and see how it goes. Who cares if you don’t have the latest bjorn baby cradle or an overland tactical diaper changing station? You’ll make it work.
Same! Hell we bought a used Phil & Teds stroller for $80 had it 8yrs two kids and sold it for $100. Bought a used rocker swing thing for $15 our two kids used it then my brothers three kids and he sold it for $15😆. Oh and we own multiple properties in CA. We spend $ on stuff that matters.

First kid was tent and gear tossed in the stock 93 J80 or Subaru. Second kid we got a 2007 Sequoia added a little 4x6 Lifetime Tent trailer. Have done many 13 day 2000+ mile trips with that setup. Kids got bigger we run a Standard length Expedition heavy tow pack now. It’s hauling 7 HS tennis team kids to a match later today. Friday it’s hauling the family and dogs to the mountains for some hiking and cabin shopping. This winter and Next summer we’ll likely be spending most our extra time at a new cabin if all goes well. Our next big camping/trip will likely be Glacier NP, Banff etc. Probably rent a hard side camper for that trip if we camp. Need to save my toy money for a lake boat assuming we make the cabin thing happen.

Pssst time is the biggest challenge with kids and funds to do stuff. My two kids were $900 for season passes this winter. The good news is we dropped club volleyball so thats $10,000 a yr back in my pocket for one kid. Vehicle modifications? 😆😆😆. Yeah I’d rather spend that $ on a trip or covering maintenance cost on a property. 👍

Space!!! Yeah our two Queen bunks with 4x6 floor tent trailer (used to haul bikes, boats etc. Is a bit snug these days. One teen crashed in the back of the truck or his own tent. When they were little it worked but was snug. Truck camper no way borrowed a neighbors nice rig for two nights way to snug for 4 bodies

UglyViking

A deal is on the table for a 13.63% off MSRP. However, two caveats:

1. The dealer has a ton of bad reviews. It seems like a place to avoid.
2. The dealer said that there were "add ons" that weren't in the website price:
tinting mask, appearance protection, dent protection. It all adds $2300. All this seems like a shady tactic. The 13.63% discount is inclusive of this BS.
3. They are unable, for some mysterious reason, to add the current RAM $2500 rebate.

Wondering if these red flags are sufficient to walk away from a potentially decent deal?

View attachment 799648

Haven't submitted my counter, but I'm inclined to round it to 75k
View attachment 799646
View attachment 799647

H
I'd straight up steer away. I've never had a great experience from a horrible dealer, but I have had horrible experiences from horrible dealers.

As others have mentioned about getting out and enjoying before you go full bore, I think it's for sure valid, so I wouldn't stress too much over anything. Enjoy the ride and all that.

One last thing I'll say in relation. You seem very focused on getting everything together to hit the road at a specific date, if you have flexibility I'd be flexible as much as you can. If you stress and rush into a decision you're likely to hate the decision.

Whatever you choose, it does appear to me that at this point you've made your mind up on what truck you're gonna get, what engine/trans option, and most of the details for the base of the build. At this point you're just gonna get a lot of opinions as another member mentioned. Wish you the best of luck with it, and if there is anything I can help with please reach out on this or another forum. I'm reasonably knowledgable about these newer HD rams and the offroading/overlanding scene and always happy to help out. Past that best of luck with finding the right one!

hdas

if you have flexibility I'd be flexible as much as you can. If you stress and rush into a decision you're likely to hate the decision.
Yes....I'm tempted to:

1. Custom order the truck and wait whatever it takes.
2. Find a solution so the wife doesn't go crazy from April to whatever date we have the setup ready.

We'll see. I really appreciate everybody's input.

COAKXterra

Is there any discount over MSRP level that would change your mind?
Not me personally. I’m over dealing with unnecessary headaches at this point. So the discount becomes irrelevant. The right deal can be found elsewhere with less potential hoops and negotiations and issues down the line. We looked for a few months for a power wagon, and then the right deal popped up private party. Wish it wasn’t black, but the wife really wanted it. You know, happy wife… less headaches or something like that.

When we bought her last car, I did my homework, called ahead to ask questions about the out of state purchase, and when one of the dealerships started giving me headaches, we walked. Life is too short to deal with bad businesses, and I’m happy to get fore-warning from others.

But again, that’s just me. I have enough headaches at work and a toddler and dog to chase at home to keep both from killing themselves or each other. That’s about the end of my mental capacity. 😂

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Plenty (most?) on here are parents. When we had our first, we just stacked stuff in the Landcruiser. Pack n play, REI tent, some sort of air mattress, then headed out. All good and fun memories. Don’t overcomplicate things in your head before getting some real world experience of just being out there. Do an overnighter close by and see how it goes. Who cares if you don’t have the latest bjorn baby cradle or an overland tactical diaper changing station? You’ll make it work.
Babies sleep anywhere and everywhere and they don’t complain about it lol

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Some dealers have you put down a deposit on a factory order. If so, then it’ll depend if it’s refundable or non refundable deposit. Personally I wouldn’t do either. I’ve ordered 4 trucks, and I’ve put a grand total of $0 down. I walked away from one of those trucks due to the dealership being slimeballs at the time of purchase once the truck arrived. I bought an almost identical truck later than afternoon for the same price as I agreed to with the original dealer, and they were more than happy to steal the sale.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Run from bad dealers, if you have to ask then you already know the answer. Kids will sleep where you put them, they acclimate just like anything else. It's easy to get fixated on all the "things" and the idea of "must have's" but in reality very little of it is necessary and many of us have done the whole two steps forward and one step back in regards to pricey mods/accessories. Take it from those of us here who have already spent the big money many times over. We are giving you the honest advice you seek, which may not be the advice you want to hear in order to validate your desires, it's a tough pill to swallow.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It's easy to get fixated on all the "things" and the idea of "must have's" but in reality very little of it is necessary and many of us have done the whole two steps forward and one step back in regards to pricey mods/accessories. Take it from those of us here who have already spent the big money many times over. We are giving you the honest advice you seek, which may not be the advice you want to hear in order to validate your desires, it's a tough pill to swallow.
Some sage advise here too. Well put.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner