Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Finally got the completed Jeep on the scale today.

Final trim, with everything coming to Africa. 1/2 tank of gas, 1/2 tank of water and 180lbs of Dan in the driver's seat. (Titan fuel tank empty)

5980 lbs.

That's a few hundred heavier than I was aiming for, though it is what it is at this point.

Also I've been out camping around Cape Brenton Island, and it should be in a shipping container on Wednesday.

-Dan

eRilQ0x.jpg

Congratulations on the build. And best of luck in Africa. Others replicating your build could probably get closer to your goal weight by swapping a few things. ARB Stubby or Mopar Rubicon X front and rear bumpers would save 150lbs or so over the AEV. Terra Flex Tire carrier hinge instead of AEV saves 30lbs. And leave the hi-lift behind. That'd get you to your 200+lb weight savings putting it near 5600lbs.

Last edited:

JCDriller

Adventurer
I've enjoyed watching your build and wish you all the luck in Africa. I'll be following your posts.

Congratulations on the build. And best of luck in Africa. If you still have some time to trim weight, you could probably get to your goal weight by swapping a few things. ARB Stubby or Mopar Rubicon X front and rear bumpers would save 150lbs or so over the AEV. And leave the hi-lift behind. That'd get you to your 200 weight savings putting it at 5600lbs without you.

I understand the bumpers, but why leave the highlift behind? Such a valuable tool when used correctly.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I've enjoyed watching your build and wish you all the luck in Africa. I'll be following your posts.

I understand the bumpers, but why leave the highlift behind? Such a valuable tool when used correctly.

Just heavy for what it does. It seems unnecessary If he's mostly going to be on roads and not Boulder strewn trails. Even on trails, I end up using the scissor jack for everything other than getting wedged off large boulders. Hi lifts require two people to use safely, can't be left unattended, and Are heavy.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Congratulations on the build. And best of luck in Africa. If you still have some time to trim weight, you could probably get to your goal weight by swapping a few things. ARB Stubby or Mopar Rubicon X front and rear bumpers would save 150lbs or so over the AEV. And leave the hi-lift behind. That'd get you to your 200 weight savings putting it at 5600lbs without you.

I'm waaaay to far into this to swap anything major now. It is what it is. I'll drive slowly and take it easy.
Plus, it'll be locked away first thing tomorrow morning :)

-Dan

EDIT: Also worth mentioning that stubby bumpers are absolutely a no go for international overland travel. I'd be put off the road instantly in Europe, or really any other developed country I plan to eventually take this Jeep to.
I honestly don't know if they'd let me out of the container in Belgium with a Stubby, or tires that stick out past the guards. I know they won't in Australia.

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I'm waaaay to far into this to swap anything major now. It is what it is. I'll drive slowly and take it easy.
Plus, it'll be locked away first thing tomorrow morning :)

-Dan

EDIT: Also worth mentioning that stubby bumpers are absolutely a no go for international overland travel. I'd be put off the road instantly in Europe, or really any other developed country I plan to eventually take this Jeep to.
I honestly don't know if they'd let me out of the container in Belgium with a Stubby, or tires that stick out past the guards. I know they won't in Australia.

Makes total sense. I was just trying to think of bumpers that are lighter than the AEV but still air bag compliant.

Septu

Explorer
Also worth mentioning that stubby bumpers are absolutely a no go for international overland travel. I'd be put off the road instantly in Europe, or really any other developed country I plan to eventually take this Jeep to. I honestly don't know if they'd let me out of the container in Belgium with a Stubby, or tires that stick out past the guards. I know they won't in Australia.

Really? You mean tires that stick out past the bumper or out past the fenders? Definitely something for others who might consider something like this to keep in mind - as honestly, I never even thought about it.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Really? You mean tires that stick out past the bumper or out past the fenders? Definitely something for others who might consider something like this to keep in mind - as honestly, I never even thought about it.

Absolutely.

Tires that stick out at all - virtually in any direction are illegal in many countries, and obviously first world countries are going to enforce it.

You'll be put off the road in Australia by the first police that see you, and I did read a report a while back from someone who wasn't allowed to drive out of a container in Australia because the tires were not contained within the guards.

Stubby bumpers are flat illegal.

-Dan

bamajeep

Adventurer
I'm building a Jeep camper of my own and was wanting to remove the overhead speakers to gain more interior space - noticed that you did this also. I was curious if you completely eliminated them or if you mounted them in a different location. Thanks in advance.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I'm building a Jeep camper of my own and was wanting to remove the overhead speakers to gain more interior space - noticed that you did this also. I was curious if you completely eliminated them or if you mounted them in a different location. Thanks in advance.
I removed my speaker bar to give me more room in my j30. Took the padding off of the rear bar and cut the foam in the corners. Then just zip tied them in place and zipped cover around them. Extended the cables and pretty much haven't noticed a difference sound wise. I did have to order a new light for the front rollbar since it is integrated in sound bar. If you don't put them there not sure where else they would fit.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader

Nice!
I'd love to see photos if you have any.

I completely removed the sound bar and speakers, and did not re-mount them anywhere. I also took out the rear sub, so I only have front speakers now.
I rarely listen to music, so I don't miss them, though it's plenty adequate with the windows up at any speed.

I missed the interior light (it's handy for reading maps, etc.) so I mounted a Rigid A-Series light basically in the same place.
It's much brighter, and warm white so it's really nice to read under.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I've spent days editing together the first video for YouTube, all about my previous trip, upcoming trip and the Jeep build.

Here's a sneak peak:

-Dan

Russ.W.

Wow, what a great thread.

Can't wait to start reading reports and watching the videos.

Safe travels, and best of luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL