Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan is there anyone in Africa who could store a couple of those KO2s for you as back ups? DHL would be able to get them to you quickly if they are already in Africa.

I have some contacts in SA who I'm sure would buy a couple on my credit card and send them to me, if it comes to that.
Are you thinking about it because 17s are less common?

-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I have some contacts in SA who I'm sure would buy a couple on my credit card and send them to me, if it comes to that.
Are you thinking about it because 17s are less common?

-Dan

Not that they are uncommon but they may not be available when you need them....You will be able to get them in South Africa. I was just thinking it would be easier for a friend to DHL them to your exact location. There is a tire retailer called Tiger that has a lot of stores in South Africa. Maybe keep their number handy or send them a quick email to see how many KO2s they keep in store stock.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Not that they are uncommon but they may not be available when you need them....You will be able to get them in South Africa. I was just thinking it would be easier for a friend to DHL them to your exact location. There is a tire retailer called Tiger that has a lot of stores in South Africa. Maybe keep their number handy or send them a quick email to see how many KO2s they keep in store stock.

There are a lot of things I'm not carrying spares of - starter, alternator, driveshafts, bearings, etc. etc.

If any of those fail, I'll be waiting around and that will be part of the trip, it's not a big deal.

Same goes if I somehow manage to destroy a tire or two.

-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
There are a lot of things I'm not carrying spares of - starter, alternator, driveshafts, bearings, etc. etc.

If any of those fail, I'll be waiting around and that will be part of the trip, it's not a big deal.

Same goes if I somehow manage to destroy a tire or two.

-Dan

Part of the adventure

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Loving my K02s, great choice. They are outstanding on ice, not that you'll face that in Africa. Have a great trip, I'll be following along.

mountainkatt

Best of Luck!

Hey Dan! We ran into you and your jeep in Moab last month (I'm the other Canadian with an overland jeep at the M4O) and we really enjoyed meeting you! :sombrero:

autarkus

Been following along quietly for a while now. Great build and I hope your trip is phenomenal.

Quick question: Do you know what your vehicle height ended up being with the Ursa top, lift and new tires?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey Dan! We ran into you and your jeep in Moab last month (I'm the other Canadian with an overland jeep at the M4O) and we really enjoyed meeting you! :sombrero:

It was great to meet you guys too! Have fun!

Hi Dan,

I live in Johannesburg. Let me know if you need help or info with South African suppliers etc!

Thanks very much, that's extremely helpful!

Been following along quietly for a while now. Great build and I hope your trip is phenomenal.

Quick question: Do you know what your vehicle height ended up being with the Ursa top, lift and new tires?

Thanks for the kind words.
I just went outside and ran a tape over it.

With the BFG KO2s in 34x10.5R17, AEV 2.5" lift, Ursa Minor J30 roof and all my junk inside, it's just under 6' 11" at the highest point.
Should fit in a shipping container no worries (The door is something like 7'4" high).

It's only got a 1/4 tank of gas and 1/2 tank of water, though I have extra junk inside, and I really don't think it sags at all, even if I added the gas, water and myself.

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I spent the whole weekend wrenching on the Jeep while it was sleeting outside.

On the advice of many, and with the help of the editor of JPFreek Adventure Magazine, we installed Rugged Ridge HD Ball Joints, U-Joints, Tie Rod Ends and drag link end.
While we were in there we put on new unit bearings so I don't have to think about them again for the whole trip.

The old ball joints took some convincing to come out!

africa-jk-front-rugged-ridge-maintenance-720x480.jpg

We then installed a Rugged Ridge engine and transmission skid plate, which is very beefy and give me great piece of mind I won't crunch my oil pan.

Also put on all-steel black lug nuts and locking nuts. None too soon either, the crappy plastic caps were falling off the OEM lugs and were very hard to get off.

Finally I put on a set of neoprene seat covers.

I need to get moving further East, aiming to ship before the end of the month.

-Dan

autarkus

Awesome, thank you for doing that. I've been trying to figure out what combo I will ultimately go with and I've been looking at all of my clearance issues (car port, garage at work).

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Just had the most exciting meeting of my life at Chrysler HQ showing off the Jeep to some Jeep Execs :)

13015427_10154038410592808_4164537651032551087_n.jpg

-Dan

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
A couple of people asked for more details on the exact size of the tires.

My JKUR is heavy, I have not weighed it yet, but likely 5500-6000lbs I think.
I'm running 36 psi in the BFG 34x10.5R17 KO2s.
It was hard to hold the tape and the camera, the tires are 32" or maybe 32.25" at the highest point.

View attachment 341164

And with the AEV 2.5" lift, all four stock fender flares are ********** on 37":

View attachment 341165

Let me know if there is anything else you want.

Height wise these are absolutely perfect for me, I am very, very happy with them now I've put a thousand miles on them.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL