Unobtainum

Jupiter58

That’s fine. 99% of the folks on here have never gone on anything harder than a recently improved FS road.

nickw

Adventurer
View attachment 833429View attachment 833430Longing for what we can’t have. At least here in the USA.
shared a campground with this fellow. Brand new and he is hesitant to take it off road.
Serious question - what does that offer that a 3/4 to 1T truck doesn't, at least here in the US? I see he's sleeping in a tent, you could have a rig very sim to that with a pop top 4W camper + utility bed with storage + 37's. I still like @ramblinChet setup - but transition to a utility / flat bed with storage if you require it:

1718294392111.png

jchasse

Serious question - what does that offer that a 3/4 to 1T truck doesn't, at least here in the US? I see he's sleeping in a tent, you could have a rig very sim to that with a pop top 4W camper + utility bed with storage + 37's. I still like @ramblinChet setup - but transition to a utility / flat bed with storage if you require it:

View attachment 839138
Yeah, it looks great. But to pay that kind of coin to set up and sleep in a ground tent? I'm clearly missing the point.

AJM

thats my point when you can do something like this with a 3/4-1T domestic:

View attachment 839198

Longevity.

The landcruiser is comparably rough, crude and bouncy.
But they will carry heavy loads over rough country for a lot longer than the comparably lighter duty American trucks.
Picture really don’t accurately show chassis wall thickness and other details.

We mostly use light duty hilux and fully expect 500000km before major engine gearbox work. Landcruiser is another step ‘tougher’.
If you need to carry a tonne of service gear over crap roads and off road plus a trailer, landcruiser is your tool.
I don’t read into this forum that sort of robustness out of US trucks.
But the US trucks are a lot more comfortable. Think Unimog vs a normal road truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_7461.jpeg
So this is our guide for the day and grandson in front of the most ultra basic cheapest LC (pickup version) possible, in northern Namibia near Epupa Falls. It’s recent, has 5-bolt wheels.
V6 rather than inline 6 gasoline engine. Rear diff lock only. The usual very HD rear leaves and coil sprung but solid front axle. Maybe US$35k in this country.
Options include 4.2L 6cyl and 4.5L V8 diesels, the latter with turbo, and front diff lock, and double cab version.
I didn’t even know they’d switched the gas version to V6.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yeah, it looks great. But to pay that kind of coin to set up and sleep in a ground tent? I'm clearly missing the point.
Not sure if you're familiar with their technique. That's known as a swag, basically what we'd call a bivy sack or ultralight backpacking tent but on steroids. Just for protection, not much more.

They travel all day and when it gets late they find a suitable spot to stop, make dinner, have a few beers and roll out the swag for a quick sleep. Up in the morning, quick pack up and keep moving.

This outfit makes no sense when stopping in an U.S. commercial campground or state park where people drag mobile homes and "camping" is barely different than what they'd be doing on the patio at home.

Trucks like this are intended to be in continuous movement driving and so the idea is having a way to get stuff out and put back quickly. Like someone who is doing long distance through backpacking but on wheels.

The pop up on a 3/4 or 1 ton is close but gives up capability and ruggedness mainly. These utility canopies and the stuff they pack are designed to last doing hard trails for long stretches. Having a lower center of gravity and smaller profile isn't a bad benefit, either.

Last edited:

jchasse

Not sure if you're familiar with their technique. That's known as a swag, basically what we'd call a bivy sack or ultralight backpacking tent but on steroids. Just for protection, not much more.

They travel all day and when it gets late they find a suitable spot to stop, make dinner, have a few beers and roll out the swag for a quick sleep. Up in the morning, quick pack up and keep moving.

This outfit makes no sense when stopping in an U.S. commercial campground or state park where people drag mobile homes and "camping" is barely different than what they'd be doing on the patio at home.

Trucks like this are intended to be in continuous movement driving and so the idea is having a way to get stuff out and put back quickly. Like someone who is doing long distance through backpacking but on wheels.

The pop up on a 3/4 or 1 ton is close but gives up capability and ruggedness mainly. These utility canopies and the stuff they pack are designed to last doing hard trails for long stretches. Having a lower center of gravity and smaller profile isn't a bad benefit, either.
I understand all of that. But I live at 7,000 ft elevation and generally camp higher. It's hard to find level, smooth ground. It rains. It snows. Spending a lot of $ on a nice vehicle that can take you to great places makes sense (to me). Paying it to store a ********-ton of stuff in fancy compartments on your rig but sleep in a ground tent doesn't IMHO.

At least put a RTT on the thing. I can set one up faster than their bivy sack, and in about 1 minute you can level a vehicle with a couple pieces of lumber or rocks. Then you've got a level, dry place to sleep on an actual mattress. (And I think I see a soda vending machine, so the guy we're talking about looks like he's in a commercial campground ;) )

Last edited:

klahanie

daydream believer
100 hard, off-highway miles a day; 6 days a week; every week; for 10 years. That would amount to the expected 500k kms mentioned before major engine or trans work - and that's for the lesser vehicle (LC reportedly would be longer)

I'm thinking Toyota doesn't think there's enough use case in the USA to offer this unobtanium in the US market. Is there indeed sufficient recreational use ?

For commercial, what do outfits use in the US for severe service use ?

I've seen a lot of domestics in the resource sector in my own small part of Canada. I'm sure economics and availability plays a large part.

Just paid a visit to our neighbors in this beautiful quiet campground on the Kunene River on the border with Angola. They’re from Limpopo area of SA. Nice newish 77 series 4 door with V8 diesel and elaborate popup/expandable offroad capable trailer.
I’ll try to sneak a picture later.

IMG_7502.jpeg
I’m trying not be obtrusive, hopefully better picture later of unfolded (like the proton in 3 Body Problem!) camping trailer and 77 series 4 door LC wagon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach