Unobtainum

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
For their size, LC70's are awesome and overbuilt and you could argue power to diff size/drivetrain strength nothing beats a 130 HP 1HZ 70 series pickup, doesn't have enough power to hurt itself very much unlike a 9000 lb 400+ HP HD 1-T truck with 40's and a heavy foot.

That's brilliant!

Lets all stick a potato in our tailpipes, our trucks will be invincible!

:LOL:

klahanie

daydream believer
. I've ignored @IdaSHO for months now but I'm sure he had some color commentary on the subject.
Understood - but with respect, why ping him then ? Drop the @ and your point is still made.

For their size, LC70's are awesome and overbuilt and you could argue power to diff size/drivetrain strength nothing beats a 130 HP 1HZ 70 series pickup, doesn't have enough power to hurt itself very much unlike a 9000 lb 400+ HP HD 1-T truck with 40's and a heavy foot.
Famously, a small number of non street legal LC70s have been imported and modified to be used in some Canadain mining applications for quite some time. I'm thinking because of a combination of size and robustness. Again, application.

Tend to agree with your other posts. For eg, there's a member on here who recently bought an F250 with a reported 3998 Lb ( 1,813 kgs) payload (!).

A quick look at the '24 Ford tow guide shows max conventional towing weights for F250 models vary from 14,100 - 20,000 Lbs (6,350-9,071kgs). Natch F350s could be more. Didn't look at F150s 'cause way too many configs/trims :rolleyes:

So the capacity numbers are there but ... the 3 domestics are not Toyotas, that's why I was asking about what industry/commercial users, use.

Back during my tree planting stint the Co.s used F350CCLBs tho there was a Toyota or 2 mixed in. Guys like to ride in the F350s because the ride was better on FSRs (no GMCs unfortunately...) most probably because of the longer wb.

I've read on here that some forestry product Co.s have switched from 1 tons to F150s. The front ends go sooner than the SFAs but the rest of the F150s are much improved, highly capable, and strong enough (for the $s). Being cheaper (fleet sales not the ridiculous retail we see) apparently the 1/2 ton economics make sense. Again, application.

Last edited:

jchasse

My apologies as I am not so worldly as some others, but from what I have seen and read, to equate the Land Rover and "longevity" is a rather dicey statement. Some would say worse reliability than some other brands.

I dont know, because I've never owned one, I'm genuinely curious if it is really a matter of reliability or more because they are pervasive throughout Europe and Africa and parts are plentiful?
Toyota Landcruiser vs Land Rover. Completely different "brands" and vehicles.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Stateside, for many reasons, Ford and GMC pretty well own the industrial/commercial sector.
Some odd-duck USGS and USFS districts use Dodge/Ram.

Again, for many reasons. One primary reason Id assume is they fill the role adequately.
For the most part, they are heavy duty no-nonsense vehicles.

The Dodges, Id assume the predominant reason is they get them cheap :LOL:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The clear up confusion - we have the mid size trucks like the Tacoma, which is a lighter duty version of the Hilux but very sim....then we have full size trucks in two flavors, light duty "consumer" daily driver types (150/1500) then the "commercial" types (250/350/2500/3500). The commercial vehicles we get are quite a bit heavier duty than the Landcruisers, much larger components overall, full float axles and solid front axles, large displacement engines, etc...relatively speaking they are much larger trucks too. I have a 2500 and it has the same components as a 3500 but softer suspension and is rated to carry 1450kg but the 3500 versions in many cases are 3000kg+ with towing capacities of 15,000kg+:

View attachment 839735

There is probably an argument to be made that a 70 series, 'relative' to it's size and weight, is more overbuilt than the heavy duty US trucks, but for overall capacities the US trucks are clear cut winners.
If the domestics can get the build quality up, and I think they had for the most part but all the new electronic gizmos drag it back down. You don’t see a lot of 30 year old domestic trucks off-road but you see a ton of Toyotas and that’s saying since they made 100x as many domestic trucks

klahanie

daydream believer
If the domestics can get the build quality up, and I think they had for the most part but all the new electronic gizmos drag it back down. You don’t see a lot of 30 year old domestic trucks off-road but you see a ton of Toyotas and that’s saying since they made 100x as many domestic trucks
I was thinking that might be part of the reason LC70s used in mines. The atmosphere underground might not play nice with all that circuitry. They certainly would have the financing for expensive equipment but sometimes choose old school.

And they don't need tons of power and speed modern trucks have, not when the mine versions are limited to 2 speeds ;)...

IMG_8497.jpg

nickw

Adventurer
Understood - but with respect, why ping him then ? Drop the @ and your point is still made.

Famously, a small number of non street legal LC70s have been imported and modified to be used in some Canadain mining applications for quite some time. I'm thinking because of a combination of size and robustness. Again, application.

Tend to agree with your other posts. For eg, there's a member on here who recently bought an F250 with a reported 3998 Lb ( 1,813 kgs) payload (!).

A quick look at the '24 Ford tow guide shows max conventional towing weights for F250 models vary from 14,100 - 20,000 Lbs (6,350-9,071kgs). Natch F350s could be more. Didn't look at F150s 'cause way too many configs/trims :rolleyes:

So the capacity numbers are there but ... the 3 domestics are not Toyotas, that's why I was asking about what industry/commercial users, use.

Back during my tree planting stint the Co.s used F350CCLBs tho there was a Toyota or 2 mixed in. Guys like to ride in the F350s because the ride was better on FSRs (no GMCs unfortunately...) most probably because of the longer wb.

I've read on here that some forestry product Co.s have switched from 1 tons to F150s. The front ends go sooner than the SFAs but the rest of the F150s are much improved, highly capable, and strong enough (for the $s). Being cheaper (fleet sales not the ridiculous retail we see) apparently the 1/2 ton economics make sense. Again, application.
Mostly just habit to put an @ since since it auto populates the names....

IMG_7533.jpeg
I said I’d take a picture of 70 series rear springs. 70mm (~2.75”) wide as always. Main leaves look the usual 7mm thick. This is a wagon so it has 2 x 12mm sub leaves; pickups seem to have 3. And only 5 main leaves vs 6 in pickups.
Didn’t measure length, no tape measure, but I suspect the spring constant of the entire pack is a bit greater than typical US 1 tons from what I’ve seen lately.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Looks are far from everything. Nor are springs.
Leafs on domestic 3/4 and 1-tons are 3" wide BTW

Start comparing actual axle ratings if you want some relevance.

nickw

Adventurer
View attachment 840458
I said I’d take a picture of 70 series rear springs. 70mm (~2.75”) wide as always. Main leaves look the usual 7mm thick. This is a wagon so it has 2 x 12mm sub leaves; pickups seem to have 3. And only 5 main leaves vs 6 in pickups.
Didn’t measure length, no tape measure, but I suspect the spring constant of the entire pack is a bit greater than typical US 1 tons from what I’ve seen lately.
What is Payload capacity?

nickw

Adventurer
Look, I just promised to take a picture.
But typically, when tare and gross weights are posted on a sticker, the difference is ~1100 kg = 2425 lb.
Figured you had access to rigs and could of looked at what the actual Payload was which is always hard to do online because it's always absolute max, I think the 2500's max are 4000 lbs + and the 3500's are 6000 lbs +

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk