unURBAN Adventures - Alaska to Argentina to AFRICA!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
these kind live/in progress reports are great since each day I get a little dose...
I know it is tough to keep this updated so know many of us thank you!

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
This thread is great, trip of a lifetime! Wish you the best and safe travel! Did you notice a big difference in fuel mileage when you switched tires?

concretejungle

Adventurer
really hope i'm not ruffling feathers but i have to ask for all us who have full time jobs and committments....

How do you afford a trip like this and able to just travel paying for food, repairs, lodging, fuel, passports, ferry rides, ect.... I can only imagine the thousands of USD that i would have to have in order to keep up with house payments, health insurance, car insurance, taxes and all expenses associated with my home plus still pay all expensese associated with traveling.

D

Deleted member 9101

really hope i'm not ruffling feathers but i have to ask for all us who have full time jobs and committments....

How do you afford a trip like this and able to just travel paying for food, repairs, lodging, fuel, passports, ferry rides, ect.... I can only imagine the thousands of USD that i would have to have in order to keep up with house payments, health insurance, car insurance, taxes and all expenses associated with my home plus still pay all expensese associated with traveling.

I have always wondered the same thing.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
It was great to meet you guys in Prescott, AZ at the Adventure Trailer Open House! Now that I've found your thread, I'm subscribed!! Beverly and myself head down to Baja Dec. 26th. How long are you there and are you on Twitter?

Safe Travels,

Ben & Beverly Edmonson

4x4abc

Adventurer
Baja in December

Ben,

if you make it all the way down, make sure you swing by in La Paz for cervezas and a chat.

saludos

unURBAN

Adventurer

Concretejungle,
No problem! It is a fair question, and we get it also from our friends back home in Norway. And the answer is surprisingly easy... :) Our Patrol with the roof top top tent IS our home. The last 4-5 years before we started the trip both of us worked full time, and lived in a small and relatively cheap apartement in Oslo, allowing us to set aside quite a bit of money. So when we now travel, there is no running expences back in Norway. We know others doing the same kind of travels rent out their homes with furnitures and all, so that is also an option.

Still, it is of course a lot om money for a "holiday". We are planning to post more info on budget at a later stage, but we do like to think about this as an investment in adventure and "cultural-education". We often like to compare the cost of about one year of travelling (with your vehicle), with the cost of rebuilding the bathroom of your home. If you include tiles, heated floor (u just need to have that in Norway...) and porclain, it should be about the same......

And when some of our friends tell us that we are lucky that can do this kind of trip, we normally reply that it is not about luck, it is about priority!

Good luck with planning, everybody! ;)
E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
...and did I mention Baja 1000..? :)

Anyways, thought I should post some pictures that I hope can give an impression to what this is about. We camped at Bahia Los Angeles, and the first trucks arrived around 7 pm. It was already dark, so the pictures are not fantastic, but the race comming into the checkpoint from the darkness was spectacular. After seeing the bikes go through a little earlier, which also was quite impressive, the massive trucks really made an impression. What an adventure! To be able to get a glimpse of this race was a nice bonus after our first camp at the Sea of Cortez.

Preparing for their bike(s)

5200327587_4c8b979d6c_b_d.jpg

First truck at BF Goodrich pit stop

5200327813_6ae6cc68ac_b_d.jpg

Not so easy to chatch these guys "on film". The massive headlight in combination with night time, give pics like these... (best viewed in a dark room...:) )

5200920796_c79eacab0d_b_d.jpg

These trucks are definitely bigger than our Patrol, and most I guess has a 6-7-800 HP..?

5200328115_ee85683cff_b_d.jpg

Buggy at check point in Bahia Los Angeles

5200329101_5b61d3e03e_b_d.jpg

Pit Stop! Looked like qite a few of the drivers had some language issues at some of the pit stops. As we understood it, many of the drivers buy this service from a Mexican company specializing on Baja 1000 logistics. Problem was that no one at the pit stop could speak english!

5200328751_011d97ac2b_b_d.jpg

Check point 8

5200328375_ce2efe687b_b_d.jpg

Hmm.... One more thing for the Bucket List...?

E&M

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Where are you guys taking the ferry too? La Paz to Los Mochis or Mazatlan? My wife is very envious now that you are in Mexico! We were here one year ago...

Attachments

• Jaunita at patz.JPG
    Jaunita at patz.JPG
    597.8 KB · Views: 130

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Ben,

if you make it all the way down, make sure you swing by in La Paz for cervezas and a chat.

saludos

Harald, we always hangout in La Paz for a few days and to get provisions before we head further south toward Todo Santos and the east cape! We will look you up.

E&M,
Great Race Coverage! How long are you guys in Baja?

unURBAN

Adventurer
Great Race Coverage! How long are you guys in Baja?

Thanks, Ben! Baja is just great! We really enjoy it! We don't have any tickets to the mainland yet, but I think we'll try to get across in about a week and a half. Are now heading for the south west coast, and then do the loop around the south cost and back up to La Paz. (and if you have time Harald, we'll invite for a beer too.. :) )

E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
Where are you guys taking the ferry too? La Paz to Los Mochis or Mazatlan? My wife is very envious now that you are in Mexico! We were here one year ago...

Hi redthies!

We think we'll take the ferry to Mazatlan, and from there drive a bit south along the coast before driving inland to Tequila and Teotihuacan.

And Mexico is fantastic!!! US and Canada have been great, but after 7 months it started to feel like "home", as a lot of things kind of look, works, and feel like Northern Europe and Scandinavia. As we crossed the border to Baja, the "adventure meter" started to climb...... The feeling of being on the road is definitely back!

E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
5213001754_b9a88ff036_b_d.jpg

In Bahìa de Los Angeles we camped with Tiffany (from Australia) and Jamie (from New Zealand) who is driving Betsy (their Chevy van from 1976), and Georg and Andrea (both from Germany) who is driving Vally (Toyota Landcruiser 2001) down to South America. From Bahía de Los Angeles Betsy headed back to Mex 1 while the two 4x4 wanted to have a closer look at the road that Baja 1000 race followed south. It was a gravel road for 230 km until one get back on to Mex 1 at Vizcaíno.

5212403105_d43f0b6b47_b_d.jpg

Some places, especially at some curves, it was rough and other places the road was perfect sand roads. Halfway down the road we took a detour from the race tracks out to San Francisquito were we found a perfect beach to spend the night.

5212403297_e4f16f54ce_b_d.jpg

We had to have a closer look at our surroundings and a walk down the beach was a good way to start. At the end of the beach we were invited by Howard (who we just meet) up on his sundeck for a drink of tequila while watching the sunset. Next morning it was back on the dirt road and after three hours we were back on Mex 1.

5212407037_03159356f1_b_d.jpg

In San Ignacio, an oasis out in the dessert, we meet up with Jamie and Tiffany and camped by the lagoon under date palms.

5212408031_9bae657b8b_b_d.jpg

Misìon San Ignacio dominates the town’s plaza it is built of lava-blocks and was finished in 1786. On a walk around town we passed by a small store that produced and sold fresh and warm tortillas. With our cars loaded up with tortillas it was back on the road to Santa Rosalía. There was also a need for something more to eat than tortillas so Santa Rosalía was a good place to stock up with food before spending a few more days on the beach.

5213007122_5638314009_b_d.jpg

Santa Rosalie is also famous for their church that was designed by Eiffel and prebuilt in Paris in 1889 before it was dismantled and shipped around the Cape Horn.

At Playa Escondido we all meet up with Franc and Isabel (from Switzerland) and their car Lotti. I think we are the only ones that have no name for our car, any good name suggestions ? Playa Escondido was a beautiful beach with a good group of people and we spent a couple of relaxing days there.

5213008584_368bb4e87f_b_d.jpg

5212413171_d7e8a9bc34_b_d.jpg

When it was time to leave, Franc and Isabel decided to join the international convoy south. On the way south we free camped at a couple of beaches and at Puerto Escondido there was some great mountains raising up just behind the beach.

5213011290_99b325e358_b_d.jpg

We all made it to La Paz in one group and here we stopped by the harbor to do some research about ferries to the mainland were we hope to go within 10-14 days’ time. Got all the information we needed and now it is only to figure out when, where and with which company. The best place to figure out all this is probably at a beach and that is where we will be heading today.

E&M

Dont you know the drug lords are going to cut your ears off and steal your truck?!?
:sombrero:

I can't wait to see more pics as you travel south!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal