unURBAN Adventures - Alaska to Argentina to AFRICA!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Hi guys... I can tell you that Tequila and Teotihuacan(climb the pyramid of the sun for sure), are totally worth a visit! If you are going to the "D.F." (Mexico City), you should consider going to Coyoacan in the south of the city and and see Frida Kahlo's museum. You can also go to Leon Trotsky's house, which is kinda interesting. The Anthropology Museum is great there too. Southwest of DF in Michoacan is the colonial city of Patzcuaro. Really great spot! I have family in Mexico City, Sayulitya in Nayarit (North of Puerto Vallarta), and Melaque/Barra de Navidad on the Jalisco-Colima border. The city of Colima is also a beautiful colonial city where you will see zero white people! Awesome!

Send me a pm if you need some contact info for "friendlies" down there! Have fun! Have a street taco for me:sombrero:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Hello Espin and Malin, the updates are great, the photos are beautiful. Did you get the info I sent? I hope it went through in time.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Great to hear from you! Where do you guys think you will be for christmas? We are thinking Oaxaca with other friends...

Roverholic

Observer
I'm so pissed I didn't log on while we were down there...we probably drove right past you. Have fun and catch a few waves @ Cerritos. Did you guys venture to conejo on the way to la Paz?:sombrero:

Touring4x4

Adventurer
Subscribing to a great thread. :coffee: This is the one trip I want to do above all others. :smiley_drive: And you're doing it in a Patrol. :victory:
Thanks for the updates. :drool:

jpvm

Explorer
Espen , FYI , try to take time to arrive to southern Southamerica. Ideal time to go to Patagonia is November - March, otherwise you will miss Norway's cold days :bike_rider::bike_rider:
It rains like 9 meters a year, snows from April till September, and the chilly wind will make you sing, well you know that, you're norwegian ! :)

4x4abc

Adventurer
???

I am a little concerned about Espen and his international convoy
they have not updated their posts and do not respond to e-mail
we met about 10 days ago in La Paz and they were about to board the ferry

unURBAN

Adventurer
Hey everybody!
Now back online, and we're all okay! Thanks for the concern!

From the ferry to Mazatlan we pushed hard for a couple of days driving south to the Michoacán coast, and the bonus was some lazy days on a couple of beaches in the area. Havent stopped by an internet place since La Paz.

Good to know that some start asking questions about our whereabouts when we dont post. You never know! Will try to update regularly for that reason, but we do see that the internet cafe density is not as high as in US or even Baja.

Thanks, 4x4abc!!

E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
Southern Baja

On the map, Baja California doesn’t really look very big. But sitting in La Paz, a city of about 200 000 people, and trying to make plans for the last 7-8-9 days on the peninsula, you realize that it is quite big after all. You could probably explore this place for years and years, and never run out of new, interesting, and beautiful places to visit. We, the four vehicles you have seen on the latest pictures, decided to head south along the east coast towards Cabo Pulmo.

The drive in from Mex 1 was long and slow. The two 4x4s had of course no issues with the rough gravel road, but the VW and the Chevrolet wasn’t really enjoying the washboards. When we finally got there it was already dark, and it never stops puzzling me how much harder everything gets when it is dark. Finding a camp spot in an area you don’t know in the dark can definitely give you some surprises when you wake up the next morning. Like finding out that you’ve camped in the middle of a small fishing village…

5235407834_a387304a44_b_d.jpg

The coast around Cabo Pulmo is nice, but it looks like it is too late for us overland travellers looking for a free beach to stay for a couple of days. Most of the road going south along this coast has barb wire fences and huge posters with “propriedad privado”. We did find a couple of “holes” in the fence, but unfortunately, the weather wouldn’t cooperate with us, and we ended up running away from strong winds and rough sea. The roof tent makes a lot of noise (especially the rain cover) in strong wind, and I have to admit that sometimes it would be nice with a hard shell camper…

5235414204_4388cc19b9_b_d.jpg

To get away from the winds we decided to go inland for a day or two. The next stop on our route was the springs at Aqua Caliente. The spring is in what is now a small dam, so when the waterlevel is high, the spring is “gone”. But once a day the locals open the valves to send water downstream to the villages, and when the water level go down, the spring becomes separated from the dam. And if anyone is planning to go there to check out the place, remember to follow a trail up along the river from the dam (it is on the right side of the river) to some beautiful pools higher up. The locals refer to the place as “the waterfallls”, and it is an excellent playground for swimming and jumping.

5235416822_25c1e5f550_b_d.jpg

And eventually, we found our beach some 15 kilometers east of San Jose del Cabo. It was a public beach, but we hardly saw a soul there during the 3 days we camped at the beach.

5235417750_0961b8def9_b_d.jpg

From here we went on to Cabo San Lucas “just to have a look”. It is a touristy place, but compared to some of the Mediteranian tourist places, it wasn’t too bad. And after a week without any “facilities” it was okay to find a campground with a restaurant, car wash, internet, power, water, hot showers, etc… :)

5268838377_890ab8aba1_b_d.jpg

Land’s End, the southernmost rock on Baja

5269452766_85864a1f8e_b_d.jpg

Too many tourists??? Noooooo...

On our way north from Cabo San Lucas to Todos Santos we saw several big big whales (we guess grey whales) driving along the coast. Unfortunately, they were too far away from us for any good pictures.

5269461030_99311cf2d0_b_d.jpg

In Todos Santos we stopped at a hotel where a band once found inspiration for a song you’ve probably heard a couple of times… Guesses anyone?

5268857301_4f70baec7d_b_d.jpg

Final stop on Baja California: The ferry terminal. After some dealing we decided to go to Mazatlan on a TMC ferry. They are not as nice as the Baja Ferries, but cheaper, and they would let us stay in the vehicles during the crossing. So as it was an overnight crossing, we popped the roof tent and climbed in. Slept like babies…

5269477300_8cbd3d8a50_b_d.jpg

Next post: Pacific coast on mainland Mexico!

E&M

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
awesome stuff E&M!! I visted many of the same places last year on my trip....

We just made it to Costa Rica today, so in a few days I will be in Panama. Come visit me if you make it that far south by late March

Ian

joy

Observer
Hello from Israel

Hi Espan,

Great report and the best of tours...

Keeping an eye on your great adventure.

Have a wonderful time and keep posting pics and stories.

Joy

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Final stop on Baja California: The ferry terminal. After some dealing we decided to go to Mazatlan on a TMC ferry. They are not as nice as the Baja Ferries, but cheaper, and they would let us stay in the vehicles during the crossing. So as it was an overnight crossing, we popped the roof tent and climbed in. Slept like babies…

5269477300_8cbd3d8a50_b_d.jpg

Next post: Pacific coast on mainland Mexico!

E&M
Wow another good reason to have RTT!:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk