Update: Bought It - WTB: Land Rover LR3

dbrown

Couple things- study up on LR4 5.0 engine issues, primarily the engine timing chain/tensioner components, which typically is a $5k fix.

Next, I am considering parting with our '07 LR3, Stornaway Gray w/ 84k miles, 7-seater w/ cold weather package. We are the second owner, and completed a very thorough 75k mi service flushing all fluids from coolant to diffs to tranny/t-case and brakes, new belts (and tensioners) and hoses and coolant resovoir- including thermostat and housing, etc etc. Then did suspension with +2" OME coils/shocks with the ability to return to air if desired by simply flipping a switch and replacing air bags. New tires and LCAs, etc etc. And finally new SD rack, ARB bumper w/ winch. Was planning to replace the Defender or have it for our daughter, but neither is likely at this point, hence all the work on a low mile single owner vehicle...
Only pic I have (that isn't too large file) is below -used comparing 18" vs 20" tire/wheels- have both sets, your choice

View attachment 634987
Sounds like a great option! I'd love some more info. I'll shoot you an email (found on your website).

Msand

Importer
I've owned a few, just be careful when trying to budget buy an LR3.. also have your first modification be the coil sprung conversion, and upgraded coolant lines.

XJLI

Adventurer
I know this is silly. I don't have the same crush on the LR4's at the most basic level. LR3 is the one. And now, with all of your advice, I've not a preference for years. :)

I was the same way until I drove them back to back. The 4 interior is ways above the 3, and the 5.0 is a monster.

gabrielef

I was the same way until I drove them back to back. The 4 interior is ways above the 3, and the 5.0 is a monster.

Agreed. The power delivery alone is a wow factor. The comfort level is several notches above. Plus my D4 has the HD package. But you can’t go wrong either way. I have both. I love them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

douglastic

.. also have your first modification be the coil sprung conversion,

Disagree.
EAS makes the LR3 an LR3!

Height adjustment, cross-linked valves, auto load/trailer leveling, amazing comfort on and off-road . . .
EAS will be superior to a coil conversion in almost every way.

Fixing and maintaining the system properly is really not that complicated (or that expensive).
Just learn how it works, and what it needs for maintenance. Don't let it scare you.
I have spent less than $100 and fewer than 3hrs on EAS in my 5 years of ownership to keep it functioning properly.

If you want coils, get a solid axle defender, disco, or jeep that is designed to work with that setup.

. . . my 2¢ based on my personal experience.
Good luck in your search!

gabrielef

Disagree.

Height adjustment, cross-linked valves, auto load/trailer leveling, amazing comfort on and off-road . . .

Fixing and maintaining the system properly is really not that complicated (or that expensive).
Just learn how it works, and what it needs for maintenance. Don't let it scare you.
I have spent less than $100 and fewer than 3hrs on EAS in my 5 years of ownership to keep it functioning properly.

If you want coils, get a solid axle defender, disco, or jeep that is designed to work with that setup.

I agree with this 100%. I have the training manual for the LR3 EAS, and it will teach you everything you need to know.

I would switch to an AMK style compressor at some point, and get an Arnott brand. All the Arnott products carry a lifetime warranty. 3 of the 4 airbags were original when I swapped them at 235K miles. The system is solid if you take care of it.

dbrown

Disagree.

I may ping you with some questions once I make my purchase, whenever that is. You sound like a fount of knowledge!

dbrown

I agree with this 100%. I have the training manual for the LR3 EAS, and it will teach you everything you need to know.

I would switch to an AMK style compressor at some point, and get an Arnott brand. All the Arnott products carry a lifetime warranty. 3 of the 4 airbags were original when I swapped them at 235K miles. The system is solid if you take care of it.

Sounds like something I’ll need to make an investment in for sure! Thank you!

cannonball55

Adventurer

This one is mine and is up for sale. Been an amazing truck willing to negotiate on price.

I've had a thing for the LR3 for a while and have tried others and they're just not for me. So, I'm in the market...

While I'm non-discriminatory, I do have a preference for the 05/06 models, especially with black interior. If yours is gray, black, green or white, that's even better. I'm willing to fly and drive if it's road worthy and a cannot beat deal.

Located in SoCal. Thanks!

IdahoRover

I have three LR3’s and a 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. Love them all, but a couple have to go and the RRS is not one of them. I just sold a white 2006 LR3 to my brother, but I have a black 2006 LR3 HSE HD with 200K. The original owner was a pharmaceutical rep from Boise who put a bunch of highway miles on it. He sold it to a buddy, but it needed transmission help. I bought it from that guy, who never really drove it. I put a transmission from a wrecked 2008 with 124K in it. It’s been great ever since. I drive the RRS daily and I am stripping the third LR3 (2007 HSE HD) down and also adding goodies to it. Complicated story, I know. I think I will sell the 2006 black LR3 because my daughter needs something that requires a little less maintenance as she leaves for college. Any minimal rust on the underbody developed since I I owned it. It was super clean when I bought it 3 years ago, and it is still pretty darn clean. If you are interested, I am thinking about $6,750. I can tell you about the other work completed, but it doesn’t have a bunch of aftermarket goodies like other examples in this thread. It was a tough decision for me not to build up this 2006 versus the 2007 with 150K because this 2006 is so clean. Located in Ashton, ID.

dbrown

I have three LR3’s and a 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. Love them all, but a couple have to go and the RRS is not one of them. I just sold a white 2006 LR3 to my brother, but I have a black 2006 LR3 HSE HD with 200K. The original owner was a pharmaceutical rep from Boise who put a bunch of highway miles on it. He sold it to a buddy, but it needed transmission help. I bought it from that guy, who never really drove it. I put a transmission from a wrecked 2008 with 124K in it. It’s been great ever since. I drive the RRS daily and I am stripping the third LR3 (2007 HSE HD) down and also adding goodies to it. Complicated story, I know. I think I will sell the 2006 black LR3 because my daughter needs something that requires a little less maintenance as she leaves for college. Any minimal rust on the underbody developed since I I owned it. It was super clean when I bought it 3 years ago, and it is still pretty darn clean. If you are interested, I am thinking about $6,750. I can tell you about the other work completed, but it doesn’t have a bunch of aftermarket goodies like other examples in this thread. It was a tough decision for me not to build up this 2006 versus the 2007 with 150K because this 2006 is so clean. Located in Ashton, ID.

Thanks for your reply! I sent a note in response to yours.

motz_the_lr3

Agreed. The power delivery alone is a wow factor. The comfort level is several notches above. Plus my D4 has the HD package. But you can’t go wrong either way. I have both. I love them both.

I have both and i love them both too! I went from LR3, bunch of different cars, then got LR4 and ended up getting another LR3 lol Where in SoCal are you?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 2.01.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 2.01.28 AM.png
    843.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 2.01.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 2.01.47 AM.png
    787.1 KB · Views: 93

dbrown

I have both and i love them both too! I went from LR3, bunch of different cars, then got LR4 and ended up getting another LR3 lol Where in SoCal are you?
Good looking trucks right there! gabrielef is NorCal. I'm in Orange County. You too? I love that you have both!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal