Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Outstanding jeep, Terratrotter! It must be a real conversation starter around town.

A question: On your website, there is a picture of your jeep with a rather large mountain in the background... quite dramatic. Where is that?

Thxs for the Compliments..

That mountain is in the French Alps. Actually the pic was taking half way down on the lake's bottom since it is a reservoir called "lac du Mont Cenis" and it was not full. height was 2000M

Cheers

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Jeepovich, that is really cool. Are you flying that VR through goggles, or more traditionally as a line of site remote? Also, where in Big Bear is that camp site!!?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
John has already changed most of the things I would change: higher opening, stainless bolts, etc.

Things I would like changed/added: A external latch in addition to the internal latches on the back. I would just like the added security.
I would prefer the front of the top be latched down to the jeep the same way a normal Jeep top is. Currently John use bolts through the roll bar, which led to leaking here in Florida (would drip down the bolt right into the jeep). I have sealed it up, but I still like the idea of using the footman's loop instead. Only other item that would be a nice to have is Colorado Camper van makes something called a wee bunk that can be used for gear or kids. If that could be incorporated in that would be awesome

Only Mod I have made is to put Velcro on the panels to keep them from bouncing around and I painted the entire top black. Top gets hot to the touch but I have no complaints about temperature inside from it.

Only thing I would have done different would have been to get a second rotopax carrier on the passenger side instead of the window. Wife would have probably went with the J180 for the room. With the J30 it gets a little tight with 2 adults kid and dog all in there at night.

Great info! Thanks for sharing that :beer:

jeepovich

Explorer
I'm flying it through goggles. That camp spot is "dispersed camping" so it is not an official camp ground and not on the map

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering what owners of the newer J30 are doing for an awning?
The newer version has the "indents" on both sides for mounting and awning - which awnings worth with that?
Any info or pics you have provide are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Dan

hardwickj

Ursa Minor is apparently a retailer of Front Runner Outfitters products, which I discovered after a few emails w/ John. They can install one of their awnings no problem. I'm sure they could probably install others with sufficient lead time.

I'm getting the Easy-Out awning (http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/tents-awnings/front-runner-easy-out-awning-2m.html) installed on mine prior to pickup near the end of August.

-James

Hey Everyone,

The newer version has the "indents" on both sides for mounting and awning - which awnings worth with that?

Thanks,
-Dan

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Hey Everyone,

Thanks,
-Dan

You will need an awning for the African sun

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Ursa Minor is apparently a retailer of Front Runner Outfitters products, which I discovered after a few emails w/ John. They can install one of their awnings no problem. I'm sure they could probably install others with sufficient lead time.

I'm getting the Easy-Out awning (http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/tents-awnings/front-runner-easy-out-awning-2m.html) installed on mine prior to pickup near the end of August.

-James

Thanks for the info.

I'd be very interested to see photos of that installed in the J30 when you get it!

Thanks,
-Dan

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Hey Everyone,

Thanks,
-Dan

I came across this from Adventure Trailers. http://store.adventuretrailers.com/nemo/ I really like the fact it can be attached to the side, or the back, and the carry bag appears to be fairly small - important with this type of setup.

Charlie56

Adventurer
I have a Kelty Carport as an awning. A major PITA to setup, but up until my Spring 2014 trip worked fairly well. (I saw Mario's awning when it was still in the planning stages, and it looks a lot simpler to setup.) I had it (the Kelty) setup on the White Rim trail as a shade structure. Halfway through cooking dinner, a major storm blew in (very fast). Lighting, Thunder, Rain, then Hail. I could not get it down fast enough. In the middle of the hail storm that was just pounding the heck out of us this thing was flapping around like a sail. I could not get it unfastened, so I ended up pulling out the knife and cutting off the velcro attachment strips.

Kelty Carport.jpg

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I think that attaches to the Habitat (J180) really well, but it's not designed to attach to the J30 as far as I know.

Does anyone with a J30 have the Nemo awning?

It does attach to the Habitat, but it also can be used with roof racks, or ??? This is the quote from AT's site "...The Habitat Awning zips to the side or back of the AT Habitat tent utilizing the built in zippers. Loops on the awning permit attachment to a roof rack or alternative applications..."

bigfish

Observer
I have one. It does not attach via the zipper to the j30. I just use the window hinges right now but I'm planning on sewing on a zipper to the j30 to make it work better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater