Utlity trailer build with topper.

1v6pony

Adventurer
So I have been lurking hear for a while learning a lot...

I decided to build a camping trailer with a limited budget and limited weight,
I have a 5x8 small tire utility trailer, I picked up a truck topper that has the two side opening doors.
The other day, I found a guy that was selling a truck rack, for cheap.
I got out the welder and added a platform for the topper to sit on the trailer and the rack to fit above, for the Simpson iii I just got for Christmas... well, it will be here on Monday... Also will add removable bars for my 14foot Kayak.

My tow rig is a 1966 Jeepster Commando, (not stock).
Will be using an old Dana 35 axle for the trailer till I can come up with a new one.

Will try to get photos latter.
Brad in Arizona

KG5CPA

Will be watching this one also. I've got 5x8 that I'm thinking of just putting one of those utility shells on it instead of building a lid.

1v6pony

Adventurer
Orig Trailer Photo

So as you can see this trailer is a light weight at the frame rails are angle Iron, If I end up with to much weight I will box it in.trailer orig.JPG

Rebel80

Going back and forth between doing this to an old trailer I already have or trying to find a trailer with a bed (David Bradley or M101).

1v6pony

Adventurer
For me it is all based on cost, If i had the funds I would build one from scratch, I like the fabrication part.
Trailer 100
topper 175
roof rack 40
Dana 35 axle (Temporary) Free
steel cost so far 70

Also my entire top piece will separate from the trailer so I can use it as a trailer.

1v6pony

Adventurer
OK, So I ran into my first problem, I reinforced the side rails and used those to attach the spring hangers. All was good till I loaded the top portion with the RTT, The weight and the light spring was too much and bottomed the tire out.
So I ordered a new trailer axle, cut the rear perch off and add another bar and re-weld the rear perch to adjust the shackle angle .
I also added another leaf spring to the pack to held support the weight.

I will not be able to load the top portion till tomorrow, Hopefully this is the fix I need.
Will add photos tomorrow.

colorado matt

Adventurer
glad things are progressing ... sorry for the setback and outlay of more cash .... hoping your plan will fix your situation ... I am not experienced enough to add any type of constructive comments but eagerly awaiting the outcome and pics .... Matt

1v6pony

Adventurer
I wanted to reverse the side doors to hinge from the bottom giving me a built in shelf, after looking at the construction of the topper, I would have to dismantle almost the entire thing, so not go on that route.
Will build side tables with receivers off the main framing. I also have a section of the trailer apx 8in that overhangs the topper, Will cut and shorten the trailer to make it flush.
I am also realizing that trying to make this useable as a utility trailer and camping unit might just limit the expo side of the build.

Oh Yea. I was able to sell the dana 35 axle for $200, more than paid for the new axle.....

colorado matt

Adventurer
my vote is all expo ... all those things that need to be done with a utility trailer can wait ... because your camping .... are sides also going on to make the topper an area that could be sealed or weatherproofed ????? ... I like it so far .... function at a great price

1v6pony

Adventurer
I have to be able to use it as a trailer, If my work truck breaks Down, I need to use it for work.
Did some more over the weekend, reinforced frame and added shocks.
yes the entire thing is going to be enclosed, that is the next step. Will use 3/4 ply BCX and exterior paint.
here is the Tow rig also not stock.
shocks.JPG

jeep trailer.JPG

Last edited:

colorado matt

Adventurer
I would love some dumbed down details of making a box and how you attach it .... will the box stay when it becomes utility mode and topper off ... or will box and topper be one .... will the ladder rack be on/off also ??? .... or will all 3 be attached and come off making a flat bed trailer???? ....... it looks great behind the rig .........Matt

1v6pony

Adventurer
Hey Mat, thanks for the interest.
If you look at the orig trailer photo, picture it with a floor and that is what the utility trailer will look like, Just as it was originally
The toper and the rack are bolted as one unit. that will lift off with 4 bolts.
The front and rear panels (wood): The font one will be removable, it will sit in slots one will be welded and the other bolted. This is so I can remove the front panel and slide the panel on and then bolt it to keep it in place.

The rear one will be removable, it will just slide up once the rear topper door is opened, I did this so that I can put taller items in the back and seal it up.

here is a photo you can see the piece of wood and how it will fit
front.JPG

In this one you can see how the topper and the rack fit together, you can also see the bolt in the foreground that attached it to the trailer

slide.JPG

1v6pony

Adventurer
More photos

Ok, So I got the panels and floor in. Here is what it looks like.

1 side panel.JPG

Here is how the rear looks with the removable panel in place, also helps seal the rear door
1 Rear panel on.JPG

This one is how the panel is removed for easy access to larger items, IT just seats between two pieces of steel tube.
1 Rear panel off.JPG

Also I was thinking a bout jacks for the back, I am going to use the round tube removable type. I am only going to buy one hand crank jack and one stabilizer jack with the same mounting. I figure one tire will always be on the ground and just need stabilized the other end will need to be adjusted to level it.
Therefore they can be moved from side to side as required... Just trying to save as much coin as possible.

Nest item will be the side tables. I am going to use EZtube fittings and an aluminum top (weight saving)
Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven