Vagabond Outdoors Drifter

Not making excuses for the garbage communications and lack of clear follow-up / follow-through on timelines for customers, just trying to pass long the "something" to others. I was at some pretty high stress, as was sitting at zero information myself (due to zero contact).

For what it's worth, previous comment was referring to the new-ish tent "insulation" package not the actual tent material that we discussed. So, no, not on every camper.

No idea why there isn't a whole shipping container of camper tents already made from the down time not welding campers or calling customers during the last two years.

Last edited:

czukie

Not making excuses for the garbage communications and lack of clear follow-up / follow-through on timelines for customers, just trying to pass long the "something" to others. I was at some pretty high stress, as was sitting at zero information myself (due to zero contact).

For what it's worth, previous comment was referring to the new-ish tent "insulation" package not the actual tent material that we discussed. So, no, not on every camper.

No idea why there isn't a whole shipping container of camper tents already made from the down time not welding campers or calling customers during the last two years.
Is the new insulation package built into the existing canvas? In other words, can you not remove the insulation portion from the “regular” canvas?

In my experience with FWC and Snap outfitters, the insulation “package” was separate from the regular canvas and you could remove the “insulation”. This process obviously works well to expedite production….but if you don’t give a ******** about production times I suppose a canvas that has the insulation already built in makes some sense. After all, I never removed the insulation from either camper so an all-in-one type of tent canvas might be better to save a few pounds and for a cleaner closure.

I agree, it baffles me that any part that is used on even a majority of campers (fans, canvas, rear windows, etc) would not be piled up somewhere in their facility. I can understand the waiting for someone to laser cut and/or weld though since that’s more custom. I don’t want to derail the thread even more than the direction these knuckle are doing but has anyone ever gotten an answer as to what they are doing while they are “waiting“….like has anyone asked them point blank why they aren’t answering emails or stock piling standard parts while they wait for all the metal/metalwork to get done? I think that’s a valid question everyone has thought at least once throughout their experience, no?

Is the new insulation package built into the existing canvas? In other words, can you not remove the insulation portion from the “regular” canvas?

Insulation package is separate. I'm told it takes 10-15 minutes to install once it is received in the mail. Sorry for not being clearer back there - just relaying the reason he said the insulation packages are slowed down.

No idea why the (not insulation) tents are slowed down or what they've been up to labor-wise, but I too would love to know why it seems like they almost avoid contact.

Aleja_333

Current AluCab owner here. Previous GFC owner, and have friends that own Drifter, AT Overland, Flipacc and Four Wheel campers.

I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would give a deposit of 5K+ to a company with no product in hand, average wait time of 15+ months, zero communication along the way and non-existent customer support for current VO owners. I've seen it, I've been inside a Drifter and it is not that much better than any other alternatives to warrant the lack of communication, custmer service and product delvery. Yes, every camper out there has different features here and there and that is what attracts people to specific campers. To me, Alucab is the superior product for my preferences and needs. Someone else's needs might be different and VO is the solution. But with so many options out there, you can compromise on small details here and there just to save yourself from zombie companies that may or may not exist in the future. Plus you can be out exploring 1+ year prior.

Someone mentioned earlier the rise of GFC and that has to be praise. They started just like any other startup and somehow manage to move up during hard times just like everyone else. At this point, supply chain issues are not acceptable (in my opinion) when other companies have kept their leatimes and even shorthen them with more demand.

To the ones claiming that VO can't scale becasue their camper is harder to make compared to others, that's not an excuse and here's a shocker! If you design a product that is not manufacturable or can't scale, you design an inferior product. This is exactly how companies go out of business. I'm a design engineer and as a designer I have to make design decisions with manufacturing processes in mind. I'm sure anyone can go out there and design a product that is the best looking, most lightweight, most robust, etc., etc., but if it's not manufacturable then is not the optimal design. As a buiseness owner, you have to take that into consideration, especially when you have only 4 employees and you're competing in a fast developing enviorment.

Last edited:

czukie

To the ones claiming that VO can't scale becasue their camper is harder to make compared to others, that's not an excuse and here's a shocker! If you design a product that is not manufacturable or can't scale, you design an inferior product. This is exactly how companies go out of business. I'm a design engineer and as a designer I have to make design decisions with manufacturing processes in mind. I'm sure anyone can go out there and design a product that is the best looking, most lightweight, most robust, etc., etc., but if it's not manufacturable then is not the optimal design. As a buiseness owner, you have to take that into consideration, especially when you have only 4 employees and you're competing in a fast developing enviorment.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks this, but seemingly am one of the few who consistently post this; there has to be a reason that we don’t know about as to why they falling so far behind in production times. Literally every other competing company (most of which were established after VO) has been shortening build times while increasing production numbers.

What’s the phrase….the ability is availability?

Current AluCab owner here. Previous GFC owner, and have friends that own Drifter, AT Overland, Flipacc and Four Wheel campers.

I can not understand for the life of me why anyone would give a deposit of 5K+ to a company with no product in hand, average wait time of 15+ months, zero communication along the way and non-existent customer support for current VO owners. I've seen it, I've been inside a Drifter and it is not that much better than any other alternatives to warrant the lack of communication, custmer service and product delvery. Yes, every camper out there has different features here in there and that is what attracts people to specific campers. To me, Alucab is the superior product for my preferences and needs. Someone else's needs might be different and VO is the solution. But with so many options out there, you can compromise on small details here and there just to save yourself from zombie companies that may or may not exist in the future. Plus you can be out exploring 1+ year prior.

Someone mentioned earlier the rise of GFC and that has to be praise. They started just like any other starup and somehow manage to move up during hard times just like everyone else. At this point, supply chain issues are not acceptable (in my opinion) when other companies have kept their leatimes and even shorthen them with more demand.

I completely agree with everything you said, and if I was looking for a camper now I wouldn't purchase a Vagabond product. However, most of us have put down deposits 12-24+ months ago when reported delays where not as they are now. At this point I could probably sell my place, but it's hard not knowing when the camper will be ready. The Drifter is also one of the few that can be optioned exactly how I want. So in a way I just have to ride it out and hope by some miracle they turn things around and I get my camper next spring/summer at the 30-34 month time.

Aleja_333

I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks this, but seemingly am one of the few who consistently post this; there has to be a reason that we don’t know about as to why they falling so far behind in production times. Literally every other competing company (most of which were established after VO) has been shortening build times while increasing production numbers.

I believe is all mindset. Some people are very stubborn and think they can't fail becasue they have a "great" product. Again, to me the success of GFC has nothing to do with their product itself but a e vision of their owners which translates to the employees and product.

I can not understand for the life of me why anyone would give a deposit of 5K+ to a company with no product in hand, average wait time of 15+ months, zero communication along the way and non-existent customer support for current VO owners. I've seen it, I've been inside a Drifter and it is not that much better than any other alternatives to warrant the lack of communication, custmer service and product delvery. Yes, every camper out there has different features here and there and that is what attracts people to specific campers. To me, Alucab is the superior product for my preferences and needs. Someone else's needs might be different and VO is the solution. But with so many options out there, you can compromise on small details here and there just to save yourself from zombie companies that may or may not exist in the future. Plus you can be out exploring 1+ year prior.

Someone mentioned earlier the rise of GFC and that has to be praise. They started just like any other startup and somehow manage to move up during hard times just like everyone else. At this point, supply chain issues are not acceptable (in my opinion) when other companies have kept their leatimes and even shorthen them with more demand.

I agree with almost everything y'all are saying. Going back in time, knowing what I know now, I would not have ordered a Drifter. I was promised 12 months and I ignorantly believed. The choice we are all stuck making right now is do we reset the shot clock *knowing* we are going to get a product or continue gambling on. I gamble on, for better or worse.

I also agree there must be something else going on to justify the weird radio silence and lack of product, but don't want to risk our last forum by conjecturing.

You a moderator now? ? Comments like yours are just as derailing and divisive as my original post. With that said, I’ve edited my previous post to eliminate opinions that may be construed as rumors and any perceived insults towards Phil. My intent was not to shut down the thread as I think (unfortunately) a forum like this is necessary to communicate issues and experiences with VO. As far as I’m aware though I’m still allowed to be pissy about the situation and share my opinions, and experiences, whether they be positive or negative (no more insults, scouts honor). Both are equally as important to new people considering purchasing a VO camper as well as those who have already purchased.
Not a moderator. But if I was, I probably would have saved the TW threads.

Bijan, do you have any updates?

I also am assuming the photo you posted is of your camper. Is that front section storage, like Trailfort campers? If I didn’t have $14K tied up in VO they would be one of my top choices.
No updates as of right now, the last update I had was that the windows, mattress, and tent vinyl were/are the biggest holdups. That picture is of my camper! The tunnel box was a one off design for this camper, and it wont be a pass-through (I won't be able to reach anything in it from the front). There will be Tern doors on the tunnel box as well.

One of the benefits of Vagabond is it being such a customizable camper. No other company I talked to would entertain doing something custom like this, but Phil was the one who actually thought of this idea and I was all game.

Since I have the a 8' bed, this was the only real way I could run a VO camper. Stoked and I'll keep waiting as long as it takes!

AFDFE162-41DF-464F-BC16-03853DDAB981.jpeg

czukie

No updates as of right now, the last update I had was that the windows, mattress, and tent vinyl were/are the biggest holdups. That picture is of my camper! The tunnel box was a one off design for this camper, and it wont be a pass-through (I won't be able to reach anything in it from the front). There will be Tern doors on the tunnel box as well.

One of the benefits of Vagabond is it being such a customizable camper. No other company I talked to would entertain doing something custom like this, but Phil was the one who actually thought of this idea and I was all game.

Since I have the a 8' bed, this was the only real way I could run a VO camper. Stoked and I'll keep waiting as long as it takes!

View attachment 742869

Looks like a great idea for an 8’ bed. Trailfort also has a storage tunnel, so I’m not sure if we should give all the credit to Phil ?. It definitely is much more usable and feasible on an 8’ bed though.

Looks like a great idea for an 8’ bed. Trailfort also has a storage tunnel, so I’m not sure if we should give all the credit to Phil ?. It definitely is much more usable and feasible on an 8’ bed though.
True, but at least the Vagabond actually looks good.

Plus, the back door...Yes sir!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven