Van A/C - What do you guys think of this one?

bdog1

Adventurer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429298572.755943.jpg

I run a 5000btu unit tucked behind my spare to avoid the "lived in look". It's location is a compromise for inside air flow and requires an extra fan for circulation. The tire carrier can be swung open if ambient conditions are really hot. The unit struggles to cool my ext length low top van on the hottest Florida days and that's with decent insulation.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429298941.423841.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
My rig came with a 6500 watt Onan mounted in the side in a truck box. I sold the Onan and repurposed the box. Boxes can be made in any size you want but you would have to have the stones to cut thru the side of your van. I like my setup so well that I'd cut my next van in a heart beat. Quick search on heavy truck boxes and I bet you can find a black one. http://www.pickupspecialties.com/toolboxes/Unique/brute_hd_underbody_swing_door.html

Mine is mounted obove the floor but the inside space under it is used for electrical and house batteries.
image.jpg

I insulated the inside with those rubber floor puzzle pieces from Home Depot the cut thru the inside to mount the AC.

image.jpg

I used expanded steel to give the AC fins some protection.

image.jpg

Inside a framed enclosure surrounds the box. The front panel drops to expose underneath battery storage.

image.jpg

The counter space is multipurpose and well used with a shelf obove it.

image.jpg

A 25 gallon water tank sits under the bed behind the wheel well to feed a bar sink I mounted on the side of the encousure. The blue Scepter water jug is grey water and is a good color for stealth dumping.
image.jpg

It's all came together perfect for my home built interior but I bet you could find or have made just the right size truck box made for your needs. Somebody could put one behind each wheel well at floor level and it would be the right height for a bed. Sky's the limit and yes you can cut it and mount it right with the right tools or pay a local body shop to make the cut.

bdog1

Adventurer
That's a very sweet set-up!

Do you run the generator inside the box with the AC? Or just store it there?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
That's a very sweet set-up!

Do you run the generator inside the box with the AC? Or just store it there?

I set it on the ground but the box was made to run a generator in so I supose I could leave it in there. The 2000 Honda does not work very hard with the light 5000 btu A/C.

bdog1

Adventurer
I've read the twin hose portables are more efficient, as they draw outside air to cool the condenser. In a van I imagine the hoses could be extremely short.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3