Van A/C - What do you guys think of this one?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Not a fan of having an A/C hangin out the window.

Well it doesn't have to be. My point was that you can get the same for cheaper, and in a more space efficient design.

How were you planning on mounting the one you are looking at, on a trailer hitch carrier?

jfdrewett

Observer
I have the Aluminess boxes on the back on both sides. It should fit in there and take it out to use it. Then, I can also use it for other things like our enclosed trailer. What I like is only having to drill a couple holes in the van. I know I could buy a window
A/c for a couple hundred bucks but then I have to mount it. The back of the van is not really an option unless I take out a window. I personally think it looks tacky to have an A/C in the window and there are at least some costs associated with installing the window model.

10628252_10152377678046623_5655453616004634404_n.jpg

10672339_10152377678111623_4543406084609627085_n.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
5k btu would probably be enough...as long as the van wasn't painted black. :)

bstory

Observer
I've been interested in one of these for awhile, but the reviews haven't been good: lots of problems with the units not working as expected or not for very long. I like the idea of something that can go outside, but it has to be reasonably reliable.

dcguillory

Adventurer
I used a 5k btu unit to cool the master bedroom in my house a couple summers ago. 113 degrees and it could barely keep up for 450 sqft. should be more then enough for the van.

screwball48

Explorer
There was a trailer build on here a while ago where the owner had taken a window unit ac and placed it outside then ran small ducts to the vents and returns and used it to cool an rtt. They same strategy could be applied to a small ac unit placed on one of your rear storage boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal Tom

Explorer

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I had 5k unit on an almost windowless e250 van. It kept the inside about 30f colder inside that outside when parked. The unit was in the back window, I still needed to run the dash AC when driving. I also covered the front window when parked.
Tom

Also, you can build you own duct system for a cheap ac unit for under $100.
Tom

jfdrewett

Observer
I did see some bad reviews on the climate Right units but it looked like they were all on a discontinued model.

I found an old 5k btu window unit out in the shop. Maybe I'll see how hard it would be to recreate what Climate Right is doing with it.

dvorocks

Adventurer
I would definitely be interested in hearing if a ducted system added to a window unit would work. I been tossing around this idea for a while. Maybe I should just give it a try

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3