Van Action!!!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Hit a few trails around Mammoth this past weekend, so I figured I'd start this thread to show you guys & hope to see more photos of our vans in action! Lets see some pics!
l_ba07c6842fc880b1a489079ef463b575.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I didn't take many, still teaching my girl how to take a good pic. :) Also, didn't do anything crazy. This is Laurel Lakes Trail. I also had some sideways fun on a few dirt trails in the Alabama Hills. It was a blast. Nothing like dirt drifting an 8K lb van!!

l_86b7fc92c59f5bc5f2b03c2557728302.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
here's a little Azusa action. BTW, my van is going to be in the Oct issue of Petersons 4Wheel & Offroad. I'll create a post when I know it's on newsstands.---------------Chris

31.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Chris-

I think we passed along the Mojave Trail (actually nearer the Colorado River just a few miles from the Avi) a few months back, we had 8 vehicles all with Adventure Trailers in tow. Your van looks even nicer in person, at least the few seconds I got to look!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Andrew Walcker said:
Chris-

I think we passed along the Mojave Trail (actually nearer the Colorado River just a few miles from the Avi) a few months back, we had 8 vehicles all with Adventure Trailers in tow. Your van looks even nicer in person, at least the few seconds I got to look!

Yea, I remember!! All the rigs with trailers. Alex was actually at the shop this morning picking up some fenders for his Jeep. That was a fun trip, trying to keep up with a bunch of Jeeps. Those guys were haulin ********. Everything in my cooler was destroyed, I was workin the van pretty hard, had to be very careful in the areas with trees. I wish we could have all hung out, maybe even camped, but I wasn't in charge. It would have been cool to check out everone's gear.--Chris

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
SOCALFJ said:
I've seen you post many times, but have you done a writeup or a rig post on your van with specs?

Is there a particular place to do that? Or should I just do it here?

Also, I have the complete buildup with details on my website under the vanaconda page. www.ujointclothing.com

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
great work

Thanks for sharing the details of the build on you web site.
Looks like a first class job!

Do you have any interest to build replica vans? Now that
you've had time on the trail, would you change any part
of your build?

Chip Haven

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
ujointclothing said:
Yea, I remember!! All the rigs with trailers. Alex was actually at the shop this morning picking up some fenders for his Jeep. That was a fun trip, trying to keep up with a bunch of Jeeps. Those guys were haulin ********. Everything in my cooler was destroyed, I was workin the van pretty hard, had to be very careful in the areas with trees. I wish we could have all hung out, maybe even camped, but I wasn't in charge. It would have been cool to check out everone's gear.--Chris

Yep I would have loved to have hooked up for a camp fire with you, but we were in the relaxed mode putting around. Next time we'll have to hook up for a few :beer: !

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
haven said:
Thanks for sharing the details of the build on you web site.
Looks like a first class job!

Do you have any interest to build replica vans? Now that
you've had time on the trail, would you change any part
of your build?

Chip Haven

I would love to build more vans, and I've done a few projects since building mine. I've done 4 conversions, and done some upgrades on a few Quigleys recently. I've built a small production run of the front leaf spring hangers, I made 15 kits. That alone takes ALLOT of work out of the 4x4 conversion, saving $$ and speeding up the process. I've only sold a few, the van market just isn't that strong. Actually, the entire industry is down right now. If the kits sold better, I would develop more product for 4x4 vans. --- As far as my van, there isn't anything I would change suspension wise, it does everything I need it to do pretty well. I'm going to work with a local sway bar manufacturer to develop an electronic sway bar disconnect, and add some other things like my onboard air & water tank, rear bumper & some rocker protection. All major projects are on hold right now, I've got some other things that require some $$, and I can't be pissing a bunch of $$ on the van, as much as I want to. :)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I drove a JK down to the lakes last month, and we had to 2 point turn that rig. So there's no way the van is getting down there, that last turn is pretty tight. It was getting late, so I only went to the meadow where the campsites are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach