Vanilla Gorilla: 2017 Power Wagon build

Dalko43

Explorer
I typed a response but then realized it was pointless. Have fun running around in your new HD truck with 80psi on all corners so you can lift a tire.

I don't think I've been overly antagonistic in this back-and-forth. I have genuine questions about the literature you're referencing.

Are you allowed to "overload" the tires beyond their rated weight capacities at certain speeds?
Are increases in tire pressure required to accommodate those 'overload' scenarios?

If you want to give me a genuine answer in return, I'm all ears. If you prefer to stick with snarky responses, well have a nice day...

TheBlueBus

Busdriver
The truck is so nice! I've seen it on Instagram already and i really like it! May is ask why you (and many others in the US) go with gas engines in the trucks instead of the big diesels? Aside from the fact that the Power Wagen is petrol only.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I don't think I've been overly antagonistic in this back-and-forth. I have genuine questions about the literature you're referencing.

Are you allowed to "overload" the tires beyond their rated weight capacities at certain speeds?
Are increases in tire pressure required to accommodate those 'overload' scenarios?

If you want to give me a genuine answer in return, I'm all ears. If you prefer to stick with snarky responses, well have a nice day...
Sorry for that. The info is all in that guide as well as the Inflation and Loading Guide.
If you have more questions, I'd send a message to the tire manufacturer or the TRA. My main point was that weight ratings on tires are much less black and white than it appears at first glance.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
May is ask why you (and many others in the US) go with gas engines in the trucks instead of the big diesels? Aside from the fact that the Power Wagen is petrol only.

The last point you made is the reason why all Power Wagon's you see are gassers. A lot of us have said that we'd love it if FCA offered the Power Wagon with the Cummins but the fact of the matter is that they don't/won't. They claim that it is due in part to clearance issues with the winch between the frame rails, oil pan clearance, and the heavier weight. I understand those arguments but I think that if nothing else they should offer the locker option for the diesel trucks which is a large reason why most buy the Power Wagon, myself included.

In the states gassers are much more common because the fuel is much more common and cheaper. The market is trending towards adding more diesel options in trucks, cars, and SUV's, but it'll likely never be as popular/common as it is in other parts of the world. Diesels cost more to purchase, own, operate, maintain and for the average person they will never need/see the benefits that a diesel has to offer so they see no need to spend the extra money.

TheBlueBus

Busdriver
Interesting, i thought fuel consumption might outwheigh all these points. We've got higher taxes on diesels in Germany but the fuel is cheaper, so it makes sense to buy one if you exceed a certain milage in a year.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Interesting, i thought fuel consumption might outwheigh all these points. We've got higher taxes on diesels in Germany but the fuel is cheaper, so it makes sense to buy one if you exceed a certain milage in a year.

Yes, diesel should be cheaper here as well and if it were then you'd certainly see more of them on the road. I'd personally never go back to a gasser truck/suv/sedan if diesel were cheaper than gasoline here in the states. I think the advent of hybrids and electric cars and their continued development and success has turned a large part of population towards those technologies over the continued development of diesel. That said, there are now diesel options in all of the domestic half-ton trucks and they are soon to be offered in some of the mid-size SUV's as well so who knows where we will be in 3-5 years.

Dalko43

Explorer
Sorry for that. The info is all in that guide as well as the Inflation and Loading Guide.

If you have more questions, I'd send a message to the tire manufacturer or the TRA. My main point was that weight ratings on tires are much less black and white than it appears at first glance.

Fair enough. I’ll give the OEM’s Load and Inflation Tables another glance.

I understand that speed plays a role in all of this. I’ve operated under the assumption that max weight ratings (listed on the tire sidewall) are the max weight the tire can safely support, regardless of speed. In my defense, I have seen both vehicle manuals and tire company literature explicitly advise against exceeding those ratings. I’ve never seen any literature provide exceptions (ie driving at a slower speed) to that guideline, but maybe I haven’t looked hard enough.

Last edited:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
realized i had a lot to update since expo east.

Pulled the MT's and beadlocks off for the winter and threw on the new AT3w's
Untitled by Will Marshal, on Flickr

got the GFC tent on and was ready to go for Expo East

im sure everyone has seen the photos of east by now, but this pretty much describes the whole thing

It was a great time, despite everything. Loved seeing my friends and making new ones. Came home and got the truck cleaned up

really really happy with the At3w's. they're super quiet, smooth and they have had fantastic rain traction so far. Im hoping it snows so i can mess around with the severe snow rating and see how well they work.

more than likely going to be ordering a set of RamRunner 3" bulge fenders for the front from Fiberwerx, and removing the snorkel

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Why are you removing the snorkel?

How did the M/T's compare to the new A/T's you have on your truck?

i put it on reactionary to a lot of mud and water that got into my airbox when i was up in montana, instead of changing my driving habits i decided to cut a huge hole in my fender. There isnt anything wrong with it, i've just decided i dont like the way it looks. The RAM's have a very athletic look to them stock vs the extremely brutish look that Super Duty's have. I like that athletic look, and the snorkel messes with it.

the AT's have been wonderful so far. they're incredibly quiet and smooth - now the loudest thing in the cabin on the highway is wind noise. They balanced out really well and i picked up 2MPG vs the heavy MT's and beadlocks on the highway. Assuming no head wind, i can snag 15.5mpg at 75mph on rolling hills no problem now. they definitely dont look as good as the MT's, but its okay.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The RAM's have a very athletic look to them stock vs the extremely brutish look that Super Duty's have. I like that athletic look, and the snorkel messes with it.

they definitely dont look as good as the MT's, but its okay.

I've never heard the looks of the Ram and Ford described in a such a way, but I would agree with your statement. Those descriptions are pretty spot on. Having owned both, I am not sure which look I prefer more, I think it really just depends on the day of the week lol, but I have come to appreciate the more "athletic" look of the Ram over the past year of ownership.

And in regards to your new rubber, while they aren't nearly as aggressive looking I would agree that the fuel economy performance increases is a worthy trade off that makes them somewhat more attractive lol.

I am looking forward to your glass fender mod, I have been considering doing the same for some time, but I think I am going to sit back and see how yours turn out before I put any more thought into the alteration.

PwrWagon

i put it on reactionary to a lot of mud and water that got into my airbox when i was up in montana, instead of changing my driving habits i decided to cut a huge hole in my fender. There isnt anything wrong with it, i've just decided i dont like the way it looks. The RAM's have a very athletic look to them stock vs the extremely brutish look that Super Duty's have. I like that athletic look, and the snorkel messes with it.

the AT's have been wonderful so far. they're incredibly quiet and smooth - now the loudest thing in the cabin on the highway is wind noise. They balanced out really well and i picked up 2MPG vs the heavy MT's and beadlocks on the highway. Assuming no head wind, i can snag 15.5mpg at 75mph on rolling hills no problem now. they definitely dont look as good as the MT's, but its okay.

Shot you a PM about the snorkel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven