Various trips we've done to the Kimberley region of Western Australia

uneekwahn

With gusto !
At this stage, we realised that we were going to be back in Broome on the public holiday Monday and weren't sure if any shops were going to be open and we needed supplies (read: BEER). I decided to take a short 2 and a half hour drive back down to Broome to pick up supplies (BEER) and head back. On my way back from Broome, the alternator died about 10km out of Broome. On a Saturday afternoon. In the middle of a mega-long weekend. Farking great.

I ended up hiring a *cough* Hilux *cough* at 4:30, 30 minutes before the hire place shut and got the Patrol towed to a mechanic, who, because of the mega-long weekend, wasn't going to be opening until Wednesday. To top it off, the grocery shops WERE going to be open on Monday. FAARK! Although, I'm glad it happened when it did because otherwise it probably would have happened 200k north up Cape Leveque and we'd have been stuck!

So, I drove back to Middle Lagoon during dusk / early evening and couldn't see a thing because the Hilux had crappy halogen headlights (I'd upgraded the Patrol to 55w xenons) and got back there around 7:30 that night. We stayed the last couple of nights we'd booked and headed back to Broome on the Monday.

We waited in Broome until Wednesday and found that no one in Broome had an alternator for 2001 4.2ltr TD Nissan Patrol. Un-farking-believable. We got an auto-sparky to repair it and it was fixed late Wednesday afternoon.

Some sunset shots whilst stuck in Broome

fixm8a31q2qp3wu7gw7a.jpg

jpfxtb2zongsxgg2q3me.jpg

8z8b2o8jm2ui7631x8hr.jpg

jx2sau0bedfu3glmtkgc.jpg

We left Broome on Thursday morning and scratched our plans for station stays and headed to the Robe River rest stop. As we passed through Karratha it absolutely bucketed down but by the time we got to Robe River it had stopped with just a light spitting.

Shot of Robe River

yj6a6kujdf92p70kd4mj.jpg

We then spent our last night at the Galena Bridge rest stop on the Murchison River nearish to Kalbarri and made it home early Saturday afternoon and both came down with sore throats which turned in to full blown colds.

So, ultimately, the trip was enjoyable, but not as relaxing as we'd hoped :)

Last edited:

uneekwahn

With gusto !
Well it's been a while since I was last here, and as is my tradition, I'll continue in this thread.

So we have planned our next trip to the Kimberley for June and July 2023. Accommodation is booked, tours are booked, we have a new camper trailer and we have kids this time!

Six weeks spending time in WA's far northwest again is going to be a blast!

Some of the places we'll be staying:

Just to give you a taste of some of the photos and stories to come :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater