Verizon MyFi??

wesel123

Explorer
Has anyone used Verizons My-Fi broad band wireless router. I was thinking of getting one instead of a dedicated laptop/tablet with 3g built in.

I want the good the bad and what else I cant think of:

e.g. I have to carry it around and its an extra piece..... things of that nature.

PhulesAU

Explorer
Good- handles 5 users, small and light. Secure and easy to use.
Bad- low usage allowance, not real sensitive out in the country. No way to tell how much charge if on it, if teathered to a machine it acts just like regular air card. No wi-fi spot. you can leave it plugged into wall wart though. If you don't need a Hot Spot, you might look at Cricket air cards.

Scott Brady

Founder
Oh, one of the great benefits is that my iPhone can connect to it, which allows me to use both the ATT and Verizon networks. That is very useful.

wesel123

Explorer
Oh, one of the great benefits is that my iPhone can connect to it, which allows me to use both the ATT and Verizon networks. That is very useful.

That’s what I was looking for. That darn Ipad is looking pretty sweet, but I don’t want the 3g version as that will be the only thing that see a network.

I want the option for my Ipod touch and Toughbook to see a network.

But as mentioned above is that usage may be limited, although 5gb a month is a lot if I avoid youtube and such.

telwyn

Adventurer
Got it, like it. Use it for my HP mini and with my iPhone 3GS. I use it about 15 days a month and the speed and convenience is great.

Like that I can share it with 5 users - comes in handy often with co-workers when at offsite meetings or in airports.

Like that I can place it near a window when in a room with a bad cell signal, but still work from a desk or table in the interior of the room.

Like that when the battery dies, you plug it into the laptop with the usb cable and use it as a tethered modem.

Dislike the lack of a battery monitor - shuts off with little warning (a light flashes, but you have to be watching for it) and you only get about 3-3.5 hours of unplugged use.

Prefer is over the usb verizon modem I had previously.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Was checking this out a few weeks ago. Liked it but the big problem I had with it is the 5GB download limit. That's not much for several users cranking out some business. I couldn't really get a good answer to what happens after you reach the 5GB. It was either they slow your speed way way way down or tack on an extra fee. Either way that seemed like a deal killer for me.

interceptor

Was checking this out a few weeks ago. Liked it but the big problem I had with it is the 5GB download limit. That's not much for several users cranking out some business. I couldn't really get a good answer to what happens after you reach the 5GB. It was either they slow your speed way way way down or tack on an extra fee. Either way that seemed like a deal killer for me.

From Verizon Wireless site "* 5 GB overage rate is $0.05/MB and 250 MB overage rate is $0.10/MB"

BCcamp

Observer
We both have the Verizon wifi. My wife uses the mifi hotspot with 5 users for her work. She is a heavy user and must monitor the 5GB limit, but she rarely hits it. If you exceed the limit, the cost adds up quickly. I have the single user wifi and never hit the limit, but I am a relatively light user.

We have found the wifis to be extremely useful. If you can get a Verizon signal, the wifi works (even in some backcountry areas!). Connect speeds vary of course, but even a weak signal will work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Itsgreg