Verlen Kruger designed "Loon" Canoe

Valerie Fons

Kruger Loon

Buy the Loon. I remember Verlen weighted so heavy with gear that the stern of the Loon was under water -- he characterized his spill in the Pacific in part due to the heavy weight of gear he was carrying and the stern riding near under water -- over loaded. Verlen was never a light-weight packer.

With the big cock pit of the Loon, I was able to carry several children aboard, dog. Why not wife? Ride behind the paddler for a taller passenger. I never rocked the cradle but my kids rode for miles on the floor of a Kruger crafted looking up at the sky.

Regarding Loon -- Verlen always said that Sawyer made them without enough layers of fabric. Build up the dck at the rise with fabric and resin. He modified quite a few of the Sawyer Loons for paddlers.

Thank you for reminding of fond memories.

Buy the Loon -- then go beyond the Loon like Verlen did -- have to have the right boat for the dream. Dream big.

Valerie Fons

KEENO

Adventurer
Valerie.... It's an honor to have you reply to this posting! Welcome to ExPo!

I read the UCC while paddling the LOON in the BWCA this Summer and can still visualize every word of the text. An amazing journey and amazing man for certain! What a blessing that you are part of that epic voyage & history!

Next... On my adventure reading list is the
Two Continent Canoe Expedition​

Re: The Lay-up of the Sawyer Loon: I agree that the lay-up of the Sawyer Built LOON doesn't rival the Sea Wind for durability and structual integrity. My comments about the LOON being a better canoe 'for my uses' were assuming a BWCA type solo applications & not multi-Day/Month Expedition use.
I also believe that this particular Loon has been back to Verlen's shop for the updated Sea Wind Seat & Rudder. No additional Kevlar was added to the deck & it does deflect a fair bit.:(

Thanks again for joining the discussion, would you be willing to post/share any of the paddle adventure experiences? It would be a wonderful glimpse of paddling history that many would enjoy!

Thanks again...

KEENO:)

Last edited:

KEENO

Adventurer
Favorite Verlen/Valerie Pic...

Here's my favorite Verlen/Valerie Pic..... What was the whale's name??? Who took the photo?
whale.jpg
KEENO:)

Last edited:

Scott39

Adventurer
Buy the Loon. I remember Verlen weighted so heavy with gear that the stern of the Loon was under water -- he characterized his spill in the Pacific in part due to the heavy weight of gear he was carrying and the stern riding near under water -- over loaded. Verlen was never a light-weight packer.

With the big cock pit of the Loon, I was able to carry several children aboard, dog. Why not wife? Ride behind the paddler for a taller passenger. I never rocked the cradle but my kids rode for miles on the floor of a Kruger crafted looking up at the sky.

Regarding Loon -- Verlen always said that Sawyer made them without enough layers of fabric. Build up the dck at the rise with fabric and resin. He modified quite a few of the Sawyer Loons for paddlers.

Thank you for reminding of fond memories.

Buy the Loon -- then go beyond the Loon like Verlen did -- have to have the right boat for the dream. Dream big.

Valerie Fons

I would love to get the Loon, but I haven`t received a response back from the seller. If you can, and would like to write up some small stories paddling with Verlen, that would be great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal