Verlen Kruger designed "Loon" Canoe

KEENO

Adventurer
Pics of the Loon's maiden voyage in the BWCA

Back from a awesome 15 day solo paddle in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area with my new (to Me) Loon. I think Verlen got it Right.... Sweet Canoe!

After first portage:
First portage.JPG
LOON at Campsite:
Loon at campsite.JPG
reflection 2.JPG
BWCA reflection.JPG
Dinner:
dinner.JPG

KEENO:elkgrin:

bucketosudz

Explorer
NICE!!! Beautiful surrounding, wonderful fishing, doesn't get much better. I cant remember the last time I caught a Walleye, Boysen Reservoir in Wyoming used to get some Lunkers. Man I miss that. Thanks for Sharing!

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Keeno, GREAT shots! Both the Boundary waters ones and the ones from Baffin Island. Incredible. Wish I could spend 15 days up in the boundary waters. Some day!

kerry

Expedition Leader
What section of the Boundary Waters did you paddle? I'm getting the urge, I haven't been there in many years.

KEENO

Adventurer
Historic Voyageur Route

Thanks for the kind words.....

Kerry: I chose the historic Voyageur Route long the US/Canadian Border due to my interest of Alexander Mackenzie & the Fur Trade History. Following the portages of 200+ years ago was literally 'walking thru History'. Often times, when portaging, one foot was inthe USA and the other was in Canada. I basically started at Gunflint Lake and followed it into the Granite River, onto Saganaga Lake and then further along the Border Route to Knife Lake before returning thru Sea Gull Lake. I used Sea Gull Outfitters as an Outfitter & safe place to park my truck for 2 weeks and found them to be over the top in service & staff.

Another advantage of going out of the Gunflint Area verses Ely hoping to avoid more of the canoeing population in the peak summer months. A visual disadvantage is that some of the Gunflint Area was burned in 2007 due to forest fires and is scared.

KEENO:elkgrin:

If you've never been to the BWCA and this type of vacation interest you.... I would say it's a must do on the list of life experiences. I certainly gave it a big CHECKMARK after returning.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've done part of that route myself about 25 yrs ago. We paddled one way up into the Quetico and took out at ?????(Atikokan?). In 1979 or 80 I paddled the Mattawa River in Ontario at the eastern end of the Great Lakes. It was the fur trade route in/out of the Great Lakes from the east. There's a great exhibit of the style of birch bark canoes used by the voyageurs on one of the portages.
My daughter has attended Menogyn canoe camp for a couple of years. It's just off the Gunflint Trail and they paddle into the BWCA.

KEENO

Adventurer
Hey Kerry...

I definitely could have spent some more time in the BWCA/Quetico paddling thru history. There's plenty up there to keep us going for another 100 years of exploring. Next time.... Quetico! In 15 days of paddling I feel like I just barely scratched the surface of the paddling possibilities.

After leaving the BWCA, I drove around the Northshore of Lake Superior (Ontario) still dabbling in the history of the Fur Trade and then meet up with my mother to paddle 8 days in the North Channel of Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) near the Blind River/Spanish River. Still more history to investigate.

Sounds like you need a return trip to the area???:smiley_drive:

Here's a couple more pics:
"Goldie" w/ the Wildernest Camper Top, LOON & Sea Kayak:
Goldie.JPG
Gcanoe.JPG
North Channel of Georgian Bay Ontario (Foxx Island):
Gshadow.JPG
Bejamin Islands of the North Channel:
Georgain Bay.JPG
Georgian Bay2.JPG

SYOTR.... KEENO:)

kerry

Expedition Leader
Jeeez man, your putting me into a complete dither with these pictures. I've had thoughts and plans to take my Macregor 23' Venture Newport sailboat into the North Channel for a few years now. I've also had the maps for the Missinaibi for 30 years. Those plans got seriously diverted when I started canoeing western rivers.
You reminded me of a portage in that section of the BWCA that we did which marked the watershed divide E/W on the voyageur route. The voyageurs performed some kind of ritual there for newbies. Did you stop at Fort William?

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Wait a minute, Keeno. You're from "Tennesee", you paddle a boat from "Sweetwater" in Northern Minney and the Georgian Bay. Holy, cow, you get around.

KEENO

Adventurer
Laurentian Divide & going North....

Hey Kerry & T.Low...

Kerry: I believe you speak of the Laurentian Divide which lies between North & South lakes on the historic Fur Trade Route. At this point, the waters to the north of the flow into Hudson Bay, and to the South, the waters flow into Superior and the Mississippi watershed. At this geological feature, voyageurs were initiated into the "Membership of the Nor'Wester's of the Great Lakes" which involved making a vow 'never to kiss another voyageurs Wife without her persmission' and not to allow another to pass without the same ceremony. More importantly... It involved drinking/draining large quantities of Rum from the kegs to lighten the load! :coffeedrink:

Note: I never made it this far East on my route to take in the Laurentian Divide and would have had to drink alone.:) Never made it to Ft. Williams either.... Always a next time!

Kerry, have you read "Canoeing a Continent (on the trail of Alexander Mackenzie)" by Max Finkelstein? It's about Max's journey across Canada in Sawyer LOON and was a great inspiration & read.

T. Low: I did have some time on my hands this Summer and love to paddle pointy vessels and drive that old Diesel Truck. After paddling for 5 weeks and wearing myself out, I got on a plane and went out to see my recently relocated girlfriend in Durango Colorado for a bit of Jeepin' in the San Juans for the last 2 weeks.
Pics Here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29693

Also.... This particular Shadow of Mr. Nigel Foster's design has been North before, I paddled it in Northern Labrador in 2005 with Team Sweetwater ( & Russell)... Hence the Sweetwater Logo & plug for the shop. Still trying to wear that boat out whenever I can!
2341_1042837396091_1380279020_30266719_8108_n[1].jpg
(3) Foster Boats & Russell's P&H Quest on the deck of our shuttle up the Labrador peninsula:
n1380279020_30266720_8374[1].jpg

Thanks for the interest.... KEENO:)

Last edited:

Scott39

Adventurer
Hey Kerry...

I definitely could have spent some more time in the BWCA/Quetico paddling thru history. There's plenty up there to keep us going for another 100 years of exploring. Next time.... Quetico! In 15 days of paddling I feel like I just barely scratched the surface of the paddling possibilities.

After leaving the BWCA, I drove around the Northshore of Lake Superior (Ontario) still dabbling in the history of the Fur Trade and then meet up with my mother to paddle 8 days in the North Channel of Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) near the Blind River/Spanish River. Still more history to investigate.

Sounds like you need a return trip to the area???:smiley_drive:

Here's a couple more pics:
"Goldie" w/ the Wildernest Camper Top, LOON & Sea Kayak:
View attachment 30826

SYOTR.... KEENO:)

Nice Dodge, and super nice Kayaks also!

I saw your trip report to SW Colorado, it is great here, I just wish we had more mountain lakes to kayak.

I`m hoping someday I can get an Kruger canoe, I love his designs.
I received some older literature on his canoes back when he was still alive.
The literature came with all kinds of trip reports he did, just amazing.

Last edited:

KEENO

Adventurer
Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment & interest Scott39....

I do love the Kruger designs and can somehow convince myself that I'll need a Sea Wind in the stable at some point. I do have to say, I think the LOON is a better boat for 85% of the paddling I plan to do (primarily Solo Canoe Trips), than the Sea Wind. The Sea Wind is heavier and more extreme in it's intended use & capability and comes in the regular version & 'Deep Dish" for even more gear hauling capacity. The LOON was awesome & a breeze to protage at 48 Lbs. I feel extemely lucky to have stumbled upon the LOON on paddling.net. :wings:

Kerry.... If you somehow run across a 2006/2007 Fuso FG & Sea Wind combo package.... Please let me be the first to know! :smiley_drive:

KEENO:)

Scott39

Adventurer
I ran across a Loon for sale on Craigslist the other day. i was doing a Crazedlist search so I can't remember where it was, possibly somewhere in MN. Can't remember the price either.

here it is:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/1323158239.html

Thanks a lot, I emailed the person to see if they still had it 4sale.

Thanks for the compliment & interest Scott39....

I do love the Kruger designs and can somehow convince myself that I'll need a Sea Wind in the stable at some point. I do have to say, I think the LOON is a better boat for 85% of the paddling I plan to do (primarily Solo Canoe Trips), than the Sea Wind. The Sea Wind is heavier and more extreme in it's intended use & capability and comes in the regular version & 'Deep Dish" for even more gear hauling capacity. The LOON was awesome & a breeze to protage at 48 Lbs. I feel extemely lucky to have stumbled upon the LOON on paddling.net. :wings:

Kerry.... If you somehow run across a 2006/2007 Fuso FG & Sea Wind combo package.... Please let me be the first to know! :smiley_drive:

KEENO:)

Would the Loon be good for my wife and I to paddle most lakes, maybe one night out?
Plus I would also use it for solo paddling.
Thanks,
Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal