Versatile TJ build

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
No much going on except for building a alum bumper to put on for the winter. I want to re-grease and do some maintenance on my winch before spring. I think the jeep looks junky without a bumper so I made a simple one that will do for now.

I haven't put the hardtop on yet so no progress on the roof rack.

We have some exciting things going on at Ruger Trailers that I can't wait to share with everyone.

alum 1.JPG

alum 2.JPG

Last edited:

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
Also helped a buddy install PSC hydro-assist steering and a on-board welder a few weeks ago. The welder could really come in handy someday. At the very least I know who to call if my junk needs fixed on the trail. :ylsmoke:

dek2.jpg

dek.jpg

dek3.jpg

Last edited:

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
Installed my chromoly tie-rod Saturday along with a new rear diff cover. I still can't believe the stock one held up after 2 years of abuse without so much as a slight bend in it.

TR.JPG

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
Welded up a BTF dana 30 DIY diff cover on Friday.

ytuvepap.jpg

uva8ezyh.jpg

uqa6aqy8.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Installed my chromoly tie-rod Saturday along with a new rear diff cover. I still can't believe the stock one held up after 2 years of abuse without so much as a slight bend in it.

View attachment 208478

Are you doing anything with the drag link? Reason I ask is that I too am upgrading the tie rod and wondering if there might be a way to sleeve (or something) the draglink and call it done?

Thanks,

John

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
Are you doing anything with the drag link? Reason I ask is that I too am upgrading the tie rod and wondering if there might be a way to sleeve (or something) the draglink and call it done?

Thanks,

John

Hey John.

I decided to leave the stock drag link on after I found out it's solid stock which makes it much stronger than I first thought. I know a few guys running the hammers in JV with the it and they haven't had issues either. I'm pretty confident it will hold up. Every time I've seen a TJ or JK steering issue on the trail it's been a bent tie rod and never a drag link.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Hey John.

I decided to leave the stock drag link on after I found out it's solid stock which makes it much stronger than I first thought. I know a few guys running the hammers in JV with the it and they haven't had issues either. I'm pretty confident it will hold up. Every time I've seen a TJ or JK steering issue on the trail it's been a bent tie rod and never a drag link.

You and I are of the same mind and experience on this one. I will update my thread once I get the new tie rod in and mounted. Thanks for the advice.

John

wacker

Observer
The weak area of the drag link is where the tie rod connects. This area is apt to bend. Someone used to make a weld on gusset that reinforced it. Based on build skill you could easily fab your own. Look on some tjs and you might notice very little clearance between drag link and sway bar brackets due to a bent drag link.

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
The weak area of the drag link is where the tie rod connects. This area is apt to bend. Someone used to make a weld on gusset that reinforced it. Based on build skill you could easily fab your own. Look on some tjs and you might notice very little clearance between drag link and sway bar brackets due to a bent drag link.

Good to know. I'll definitely look into how to make a gusset there, it would give me a little more piece of mind on the trail.

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
Working on a bumper project myself tools materials is not an issue. I need more ideas could you post more pictures of yer front bumper?

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
I don't think I have anymore pics of that bumper other than what I posted but I'll look...and I just put my winch and bumper back on last weekend when I went wheeling. Sorry.

GSPup

A few updates from the last month....

Picked up some new 35" MTRk's. I haven't ever been a huge fan of these but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on them. They seem to be way stickier than my old toyos.

JEEP.JPG

Picked up an extra set of steelies to do a beadlock conversion. Hopefully I don't end up regretting this idea.

DIY locks.jpg

Installed some new lowers CA's. Don't mid the oil pan. It takes the beatings like a champ and still doesn't leak :sombrero:...I have a engine skid that is on top of the to-do list as I forgot how beat the pan was.

CA's.jpg

Left Ruger Trailers recently but the adventures still continue. Heading to Moab today after work for the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk