Very nice F-550 rig

jk6661

Observer
IMO this is a very nice rig for $238K (if you're in the market for a house-priced vehicle). Only 45K miles, hard-sided pop-up, as much solar and battery power as most people could ever need, etc. Very thirsty, but that goes with the territory.

No affiliation.

Last edited:

Skibumandy

I can't believe someone built this on a Gas chassis.... I was pretty seriously looking into buying this thing, and talked to the owner for a while, but just couldn't comprehend a 16,000lb vehicle on a gas chassis that gets 7mpg...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I agree. One $5k turbo replacement on a 6.7 will buy a LOT of gas ;)

This truck is a legit build, with a long build thread on this forum

Build thread, originally "Adrift in the Green Room" as I recall.
Unfortunately many photo links are dead

Most recent sale add (that I know of)

baggio95

Well out of my budget and everyone's needs and wants are different. A gasser definitely wouldn't scare me off if I was in the market. I have 2 medium duty class 4 trucks and a 3500 that are all diesel. All are pre-def and I definitely would NOT consider a modern diesel if I had to replace them. You don't get the fuel mileage and a lot of the other benefits people of a certain age used to get and expect of a diesel. Plus, the increase cost of diesel since the Russian invasion has been huge. Again, everyone has different needs.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I feel like there are more than lots of threads about this one truck. It was a great original build thread. But the current owners will not get $238k and they are still the highest bidder on their own truck.

84FLH

I can't believe someone built this on a Gas chassis.... I was pretty seriously looking into buying this thing, and talked to the owner for a while, but just couldn't comprehend a 16,000lb vehicle on a gas chassis that gets 7mpg...
Well, now, I could be wrong, but I'm kinda thinkin' anyone with enough disposable income to purchase this awesome vehicle, most likely as a toy but possibly as a full time home, ain't gonna be worryin' 'bout 7mpg fuel economy.

tacollie

Glamper
Diesel power would be nice but the V10 is adequate. All big trucks are thirsty. $200k+ plus custom trucks are a niche item and take time to sell.

rawtoxic

I am a long time diesel owner, we grew up with 91 and 93 cummins in the barn, I personally had a 95, 2001, 2004.5, and 2016 now (the 1993 and 2001 are the best cummins). Had 2 ford 7.3's IDI and powerstroke. Now we have a 8.1 gas big block gmc Tiger and I find it enjoyable in a different way and have been impressed with the power I am a bit scared of towing with it as I think it will suck gas big time. We don't plan on getting more than a vintage boat with single axle trailer which should be fine. I thought I would hate it but I wanted a Tiger and it's the one I found and could afford. I really didn't want an auto trans either but a allison is good as that comes and my lady sharing driving duties has made my travel time more enjoyable (except when she backed into a fence post). Overall I am pretty happy with a gas truck 2 years in and encourage others to be open minded.

With the spread in cost of gas vs diesel in most areas I think the cost per mile driven maybe less with gas in many scenarios. Not sure of the maintenance costs yet compared to diesel but I've had some expensive diesel repairs over the years. The only other gas truck I've owned is 3.4 v6 5speed First gen tundra which has been an amazing vehicle I bought for $17.5k new and will run until it's put out in the pasture. Even if that f550 was diesel it would get around 9-10 mpg right?

jk6661

Observer
One of my favorite features is the third wall system, which I haven't seen on any other pop-up. From Truck Camper Adventure's interview with the owner:

Scott Mayfield: One of the features I am most proud of is the cabover third wall system. The middle wall of the accordion wall set up can be controlled independently and is powered by a separate linear actuator. I embedded a pulley system in the panels for the roof. When we pull into camp and it is nice out, we lower that wall and can be indoors and out of the sun but in the open air.

Last edited:

180out

i run a diesel powered 17K pound truck and it gets 8.5 mpg sooo.? at least gas is cheaper in most places

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Yup. The artificially induced diesel (and gas for that matter) price increase is discouraging for this potential first time diesel buyer.

I remember diesel was always cheaper than gas, until the early 2000's. Then I started driving diesels and it flipped around

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk