Vibram Five Fingers

Five Fingers...Thumbs up or Thumbs down?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Honu

lost on the mainland
On the pooh thing :)
I always say why we don't walk on our face :) and glad my face is far away from my feet :)

Tabis :) very common for Opihi hunting on slipper rocks :) used to get em with the felt soles kinda like fly fish waders :)

Funny as these days my feet are more soar aches etc...
Flounder early post made me think
I am used to walking barefoot on sand and trails moving to the mainland no more soft sand and trails and now wear shoes
%98 of my walking was with cheap rubber slippers

Hmmmm

Last edited:
I help out at an outdoor retail store (photog) and the staff there says they sell a massive amount of these things. I tried a pair on and was impressed... my first thought was they would make awesome bow hunting / stalking boots. The uses are endless. Funky looking but certain people can rock them! Great for travel since they ball up to almost nothing.

photoman

Explorer
Just picked up my 2nd pair today - went with the Bikila LS as the KSO's didn't have enough foot protection at times. The Bikila LS are so much easier to get on and off as well. When my Adidas Samba's finally blow out I will pick up a pair of the Speed as well. Look like a great casual and driving shoe. Only reason I chose the Bikila LS over the Speed was the likelihood of thorns sticking in laces and Speed would take longer to dry out if they got wet.

I even let my 12 year old son pickup a pair- he went with the black KSO

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I had mine for over a year now. I tried to like them, but just can't get into them. Plus, my feet hurt every morning. I followed the proper training schedule (started with 1 mile walks and moved up from there). Still, after 3-4 months of running, had sore feet in the mornings. Didn't improve anything, really. Yes, I bought into the hype. It didn't pan out for me. Now, they're collecting dust in the closet and I'm happy with my 8oz racing flats for races and Wildcats for trail runs.

I will wear the VFF's if I ever decide to be a monkey for halloween (I've got all black VFF's--aka monkey feet).

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I have had mine 6 months or so and slowly got used to them. They are the single best thing when wanting to go barefoot over any non carpeted surface.

GP'd

Adventurer
I love my KSO Sport Trek's for light hiking when around water and would consider them my dedicated fishing shoes. I wore them all July 4th weekend fly fishing the eastern sierras when I wasn't in waders. I have owned them for over a year now and don't have any regrets.

M62wkuM5NeCycL9Zlnu7HM_2hzpP9LKZpnLMJREGzCOtE3A9Hgk6CVlGS37nKbeJ1T3wmhInasdtEq5yjlDgP9JuHZqMvpMa1JeKJSUzW_-4S01OGbtoEF4jmC8G243L0LRNUv24r4YUNxqUcEOGJ1PBAEoZIgg0=s180-c

Basement Yeti

Explorer
My new green/palm Vibrams are already showing holes in the sole from normal use and thinning on the toes. I guess the quality is going down the tubes, my black 3 year old KSOs have been exercised to heck in and have no signs of wear on the sole. :/

Patman

Explorer
I tried a set of trek sports and couldn't get the fit right. Apparently my feet are pointy enough that my pinky and "ring" toes could not reach the toe pockets, which would just flap around. I tried to contact FF but never got an answer. Sucks sice I really love the idea. And my feet are shaped almost the same as the guy in thier fit video

Anyone have the same issue and find a solution? Thinking of going with the NB minimals.

Applejack

Explorer
I tried a set of trek sports and couldn't get the fit right. Apparently my feet are pointy enough that my pinky and "ring" toes could not reach the toe pockets, which would just flap around. I tried to contact FF but never got an answer. Sucks sice I really love the idea. And my feet are shaped almost the same as the guy in thier fit video

Anyone have the same issue and find a solution? Thinking of going with the NB minimals.

I have the same problem, though mine are a little too big, (the wife ordered them for my birthday and didn't know what size to choose and got the largest they had) which could be the source of the problem. But my pinky toes are a bit odd. They pretty much curl partly under my ring toe. This makes for an odd fitment as well.
But other than that, I love them..........well except for the fact that they are quite smelly too.

Just got a second pair of Bikilas - just in time for another trip.

Love these shoes... great conversation starers when traveling. And I swear my feet yearn for the feeling of toe separation when I'm not wearing them - I often find myself spreading my toes!

GCL4x4

V5F.jpg

Here's mine. I got them because my Doc recommended them to help strengthen my arches and reduce further damage to my plantar fascia.

I started considering them when I hurt my plantar fascia and it took 3 weeks to heal. They're a bit uncomfortable at first until your brain adjusts to the feeling you have between your toes and the discomfort from landing on your forefoot when walking with a brisk pace. Walking, I normally land on edge of my feet, developed that from having sore arches due to standing on flat shoes 12 hours a day at the lab. observed a few escrima and grapplers walking around Los Angeles with wrestling ring shoes on the street. picked up the technique. Wonderful how Jesus fixes things in your life especially when you NEVER see people wearing Ninja shoes in the inner city during the late 90's

Watch out for counterfeits. Since they're manufactured in China there are fake ones out there.

2-3 days of UV from the Sun and it will cure any odor you might have developed through usage.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/counterfeits/index.html

Hope this helps someone.

GCL4x4

@Patman, I had a problem with fitment as well. My left foot measured at a 40 and right with a 39. My pinky would fill under half the length on either.

I found that your feet will expand if you allow it. They also expand to a larger capacity nearing the end of the day because of usage. I can no longer fit my 8's timberlands. they're too narrow for me now. After that I searched for 40's thinking i would just wear a sock on the right foot. Never needed it. Don't even notice the flop. The brain will adjust to it if you force it by ignoring (what you think is) the problem. (ex) I have floaters in both eyes. When I'm dead tired they show, your brain negates them when you're not tired.(doc told me that).

When youre trying them on, your brain is looking for problems and perfect fitment so it's very critical at that time. Go at night when youre feet has expanded fully. It's also like pulling on a sock so you can yank them into place by sliding your thumb in and tugging the material closer.

if the sales guy tries to sell you a womens sized one tell him to go play in traffic. mens feet are wider as the length increases and that isnt equivalent to the ladies when their length increases.

Even the guys at REI know that.

Hope this helps.

Leviathan

Observer
My $.02 ... I love these "shoes"

I went barefoot for a year in college (in Indiana). When I think back now I realize how stupid and gross that was. I am lucky I didn't pick up a hookworm somewhere. Now I have the VFF KSO's and it is the best of both worlds; I feel barefoot without my feet being black and nasty at the end of the day.

That said, use these as intended. They are not for carrying heavy backpacks, or operating heavy machinery, or motorcycling. For running around though, they are the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL