Volvo Wagon Expedition Vehicle

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Are any Volvos FWD?

It was in the early 90s (1993) when they first came out with transverse FWD in the 850.

The 700/900 series is an old design released in 1982, but they continued to sell the same basic chassis with RWD until 1998 alongside the FWD cars- although the RWD cars based on the old 700/900s were called S90/V90 by 1998. The 700 is very similar to the 200 and shares many parts in common.

Perhaps your dad had a V70? That isn't a "700 series" and is a newer evolution of the FWD/transverse 850s.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It was in the early 90s (1993) when they first came out with transverse FWD in the 850.

The 700/900 series is an old design released in 1982, but they continued to sell the same basic chassis with RWD until 1998 alongside the FWD cars- although the RWD cars based on the old 700/900s were called S90/V90 by 1998. The 700 is very similar to the 200 and shares many parts in common.

Perhaps your dad had a V70? That isn't a "700 series" and is a newer evolution of the FWD/transverse 850s.

I think it was a V70. It was not AWD, I know that. So it was FWD? That makes sense.

I guess I just assumed that because the 700 and 800 series looked so similar, they must have had similar layouts but I guess not.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
I guess I just assumed that because the 700 and 800 series looked so similar, they must have had similar layouts but I guess not.

The 850 was a "clean sheet" design and shares almost nothing in common parts or design wise with the older Volvos whereas up to that point they had been gradually evolving old designs.

I think the FWD Volvos pretty good cars but totally unappealing to me- they lost most of the design characteristics I find so appealing about older Volvos.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Cool build. I love my wagon, although not a Volvo, but it gets horrible fuel mileage. After adding the rack, spare tire and A/T tires, I'm lucky to get 16.5 on the highway. That IPD concept XC70 is absolutely gorgeous!
IMG_0656.jpg

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Sweet eagle wagon! I've always loved those things. Must be a great expedition rig...
It should be when I'm "done" with it. I installed a low range transfer case from a Grand Wagoneer. - also installed a rear from a 98 Cherokee and unfortunately my front and rear axle ratios don't match. Still not sure if I'm going to put a solid axle up front or stick with the IFS.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Still not sure if I'm going to put a solid axle up front or stick with the IFS.

I didn't realize they made those with IFS! I'd stick with the IFS myself, personally I think that's a huge benefit for handling and comfort on paved roads (which even the most hardcore expedition rigs end up spending most of their time on).

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I agree, Volvos are great, but mostly I've thought of them as an excellent camping rig, but you are right, they can handle a lot.

snowL.jpg

On my way to meet up with a friend in Moab. I remember it got 22 - 24 MPG with the rooftent on top. It was a luxury 760 RWD with factory positraction and an automatic self leveling system in the back called Nivomat (brilliant).

I loved that car, but I sold it to buy a "serious" expedition rig. Worst mistake I made. Stupid thing, I was getting ready to do a sportsman's showand Hummer sent out a special yellow H1 for me to use. I drove the old Volvo out to pick up the shiny new Hummer at the dealer. After setting up the Hummer I asked the sales manager if it was OK to leave the Volvo with him for a couple days and he said "no". He even went as far as to say "We aren't in the business of selling beat up old Volvos". I couldn't believe it, but I figured I'd better get something more "presentable". Still bothers me to this day, I never should have let being shamed by a Hummer dealer get to me, but it did.

So, now I just bought a 2007 XC70 and am really happy with it. The new 3rd gen AWD system seems to work very well, even though it really is front wheel drive, you can feel the rears kick in. Just added a new sleek carbon fiber Columbus rooftent and am averaging about 24 MPG. Now how can I make it better .........

Rich

Patman

Explorer
Patman- is that your 145? How long have you had it? Is it a '74? I think I might know that car.

Yup, its my daily driver. It's a full load '73, factory auto/ac/ps. Had it for a little more than a year, bought it out of Seattle, flew up and drove it home, 900 miles in just under 13 hours.

Absolutely love this car, but have my moments of wanting to sell it. They seem to pass pretty quick though :smiley_drive:

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
It was a luxury 760 RWD with factory positraction and an automatic self leveling system in the back called Nivomat (brilliant).

Great photo! I have the nivomats on my 760 diesel also. They're really nice when driving, and actually increase ground clearance automatically on rougher roads.

What I don't like is they sag when parked and take a while to "pump up" so if you're camping or offroad you'll be too low and scrape for a while when your first start driving for the day. I'm also always afraid they could fail on a really long trip, and I'd be finishing the trip on the bump stops :(

Patman

Explorer
Not sure if I should like this or not, found the pic poking around online. No real info on the car, just thought I would share.

It makes me argue with myself. I shouldn't like this.......YES I SHOULD....NO, NO I SHOULDN'T!!!

145-Jeep_right-front-left-front.jpg

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
What I don't like is they sag when parked and take a while to "pump up" so if you're camping or offroad you'll be too low and scrape for a while when your first start driving for the day. I'm also always afraid they could fail on a really long trip, and I'd be finishing the trip on the bump stops

Sounds like the Nivomats may be getting tired. Check to see if one side is sagging more than the other, may indicate if you have a bad one. I replaced mine at about 190K and the change was big. Volvo and IPD wanted a fortune for them but I got a set from a place called SHOX in San Diego for a pretty good deal.

You really have a rare Volvo, I think there was only one year for the 740 diesel and I don't think they sold very many of them. I wish I could get a diesel XC here in the states.

Rich

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
Sounds like the Nivomats may be getting tired. Check to see if one side is sagging more than the other, may indicate if you have a bad one.

They're only 1 year old and work well. Even the design literature for the Nivomats from Sachs mentions that they sag when parked a long time (like overnight) when new.

They sell an alternate version with a small electric pump that pumps them up when you first start the car, but I don't know if any vehicle manufacturers use those or not.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
You really have a rare Volvo, I think there was only one year for the 740 diesel and I don't think they sold very many of them. I wish I could get a diesel XC here in the states.

Yea, it's really a pain to find diesels in the USA- they're so rare. They did sell the diesel 740/760 in the USA for 3 years (1983-1986) but very few of them sold because they were priced so high. Of those that sold, most weren't maintained properly and have long since died. I searched craigslist and eBay everyday for years to find mine.

I've seen the D5 motors for sale on European eBay auctions before. You *could* convert an XC to diesel with a motor shipped from overseas, but it would be quite a project!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater