VW Amarok Overland

iguana4x4

Wiki_4x4
dsc2223t.jpg

After 5 years of reliable service I sold my venerable 1994 Nissan Patrol GQ and got a brand new Volkswagen Amarok. The truck will be outfitted for extended overland travel and will be tested at the end of the year in a 2 month journey from Colombia to Argentina!

Toughs so far...

I tested the Amarok in Colombia and Germany before I decided to get my own. I really like the interior layout and ergonomics and the tiny 2.0L twin turbo diesel is an amazing performer. Fuel economy: I was used to 14 - 20 kms. per galon in my gasoline powered Nissan, the Amarok has been impressive doing 40 - 45 kms. per galon so far!!!

dsc2178j.jpg

With only 500 kms. in the odometer I headed for a 1300 kms. weekend trip accross the Guajira peninsula in Colombia, the goal was to reach Punta Gallinas; the northern most point in the country. The VW showed very good performance overall, but also showed some weekneses that will be addressed in the coming months. Altough the stock suspension performs great on and offroad, the truck needs more clearance and could benefit from increased suspension travel. The stock skidplate took a pounding on rocky terrain and protected the engine sump and front differential adequatly, but I will still install a new aluminum unit from Auto Seikel in germany just to get even more coverage.

dsc2205e.jpg

BajaRack custom built this flat Rack for my Ex-Nissan, it is now transplanted to this one

My nightmare during this trip was the loading area! I had never owned a pick up before and when I loaded my gear in the bed I though a tarp was going to be good enough protection during this time of the year (dry season). Turns out that silt and dust got into almost everything in my bed. I really need a canopy and ARB makes a really nice one for the Amarok.
The stock air intake is just behind the front grill and I was amazed at the amounts of dirt and sand that got the air filter housing...my snorkel is under way from Germany.

dsc2196d.jpg

I´ll keep you posted with the updates. In the meantime, enjoy the Guajira desert...

dsc2250q.jpg

My friend Carlos and his Nissan running up the dunes

dsc2289n.jpg

dsc2199p.jpg

It´s Land Cruiser country out here :)

Attachments

• dsc2223t.jpg
    dsc2223t.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 26

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Great choice. I was surprised as how many outfitted Amarok I saw at the AllRad show last summer.

jim65wagon

Neat! I did not even know VW made a truck....and its a four door with a decent size bed on it. Scenery looks cool!

Japes

Displaced Texan
I saw the Amarok on 5th Gear and I thought it was seriously cool, I wish it was available in the US!

94monster

Observer
I saw the Amarok when I was in Turkey this summer... I was really jealous then and still am now. Are they available in canada?

haven

Expedition Leader
The infamous "chicken tax," a 25% duty applied to trucks imported to USA, will keep the Amarok away until VW decides to build it in USA. Today, they're built in Argentina. It's the same story for cool pickups by Toyota (the HiLiux), Mitsubishi (L200 Triton), Ford (Thailand-built Ranger), and several others.

Back in the day, Subaru welded jump seats and seat belts in the bed of a small pickup, and successfully convinced the USA customs folks that the truck, called the Brat, was an SUV.

iguana4x4

Wiki_4x4
Fitting the Seikel Snorkel

Well, my snorkel arrived from Germany. I was surprised how much dust I found in the airbox when I removed it. The truck only had 1800 kms. when the snorkel was fitted and about 400 of those where driven offroad. I think the stock air intake location is not suited for extended offroad use, it´s located just behnd the front grille on the passenger side.

Anyway that was the reason to get a snorkel in the first place. The parts are made by Auto Seikel in Germany and are approved by Volkswagen:).

dsc2144vw.jpg

How the parts arrived

dsc2145h.jpg

Clearly approved by the factory

dsc2148c.jpg

One of my employees trimming some sheetmetal...

dsc2150r.jpg

Surprise! Guajiran dust all over the airfilter housing

dsc2152s.jpg

Finished work

Volkswagen will maintain my new vehicle warranty as long as the snorkel head is always facing to the rear, in fact it is fixed to the snorkel body!!

Japes

Displaced Texan
That looks awesome man, keep adding pictures for me to drool over while I am job hunting!

iguana4x4

Wiki_4x4
We are exhibiting the Amarok at the local motorshow. The Seikel Dakar 8mm Aluminum skidplates just arrived this morning and will be installed sometime today!!!

seikeldakarskidplates.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven