wanted a Disco found a Range Rover

Mrmerlin

Thanks for all of the great input, I am sure i could do most of the repairs needed on the truck i was looking at, but there just seems to be so many.
The other prophetic statement was, something to the effect of,... even though all the systems may be working and in good condition you might not get any warning that failure is around the next bend with the P38.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Talk to some independent Land Rover Repair shops and get their opinions of P38's. Be sure and tell them that you live in another state and will never see them for service - otherwise they may promote it!
:snorkel:

I love Landy stuff - I've had three Classics and a Disco - that said, the P38 is one of the worst vehicle ever built. You will NEVER stop fixing things. I can give you references from friends (several) who have had them in the past.
:Wow1:

Last edited:

GregH

So is rebuilding a dual distributor more or less complicated than rebuilding a single distributor?
(be careful, it may be a trick question)

I commented that "Rebuilding the distributors is not that complicated." Your comment indicates you believe otherwise. I believe you could rebuild one without difficulty.

I DO disagree with your second half of your comment:

...but once you've done it you know that it's good for a long while. The same can't be said of Piece38 repairs.

The 993 dual distributor is basically two distributors linked by a small toothed belt that drives the second distributor. That belt can break without notice. I know someone who had two break within 20k miles. If you understand the reason behind the twin-plug system in Porsche's you'll understand why you cannot drive for long on one distributor without risking major repair work.

Give me one of the old RSR twin plug systems or even one of the aftermarket Marelli-based ones or a distributorless ignition system.

I guess this guy should buy a Piece38.

That will never happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk