WANTED: EXPEDITION VEHICLE

Mclevin86

Hello, I have been following this site for a little bit and finally decided to post. Long story short, I was planning on building a Wrangler JKU Willy Edition for overlanding/expeditions. I received news from the that for some reason, they forgot to build my Jeep in the factory lol. They told me that they can build me a 2017 version of what I wanted with the 2016 pricing and rebates. Although it sounds like a great deal, I felt like something was telling me to see what else is out there. I also became hesitant in paying the $30k price and maybe was looking for a good, cheaper, used vehicle on the forums. I am looking for something along the lines of Land Cruiser 100/80 series, maybe LX470, Tacoma, JKU Wrangler, Xterra and recently I have been very interested in the LR3(still doing research on them). Stock or modified form is fine as long as vehicles are in good condition and have been maintained. It will be my daily driver since my 2 other vehicles are for track only. The only concern is.

1. I will not be able to buy until Nov-Dec, since that is when I will be returning from deployment.
2. I am hoping to buy in Southern CA. I will be initially going to SD upon return to move my household goods. I was going to buy a car there and road trip to SF and drive cross country 3,000 miles to the east coast for my next duty station.

I will be checking this post occasionally whenever I have time. If I cannot find one here then I will buy my Wrangler and start a build thread. Thank you for your time.

haven

Expedition Leader
It shouldn't be difficult to find a vehicle when you return in November. For example, a search on Autotrader.com this morning turned up 21 LR3s for sale within 100 miles of Los Angeles, prices ranging from $7500 to $17K. How about LX470? 18 vehicles between $10K and $19K.

The 2007-2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is actually more expensive as a used car than the LR3 and LX470, at least near LA. The JKU often has lower miles, since the LR3 and LX470 are more likely to be used as daily driver / commuter vehicles. An LX470 with 100,000 miles is just getting broken in, in my opinion.

Given the likely price increase for the 2017 Wranglers (new body and chassis), getting one at the 2016 price could be quite a good deal!

Mclevin86

Thanks for the reply. I will check autotrader whenever I can. The internet out here is so bad that you kind have to pick and choose the websites you visit cuz itll take a while for them to load haha. I really like those LR3's but I need to do more research on the maintenance and general upkeep. The internet makes them a scary vehicle in the reliability department.

Questor

Huge member
From my perspective, reliability is the number one requirement in an expedition vehicle. Take a good look at Tacomas and Tundras.
Good luck with your search. Remember finding and building the vehicle is part of the fun.

Q~

Mclevin86

Yeah I am def. into the Tacoma....I am looking for a TRD with a lot of the off road options. I might still get one. I like the Tundra but scared to drive em cuz too big for me haha. im 5'3 so its hard enough already lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__