Water Storage

Riptide

Explorer
If you are interested in a large custom bladder system, check out a boating supply place. Sailboats use extensive bladders for water storage.

I was going to suggest that, too. Nauta is common brand of tanks/bladders found on boats. We've used them with good success. They seem fairly rugged, but you'd want to protect against puncture and abrasion, so putting them in a confined space like a locker or box is a good idea...

http://www.imtra.com/product/pumps_tanks/nauta_holding_tanks.htm

matt s

Explorer
Call me crazy, but I have been considering going back to the way Dad used to do it.

41X%2Bp2HvjPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

We used to carry these things miles through the brush to hunting camps etc. Honestly over the years I think we only managed to tear one once. You can hang them, they hold 5 gallons, they have a spigot, and best of all 9 bucks.

I do have one of the MSR bags and it is really nice, but 30 bucks better nice???

BTW the ones Martin linked to look real nice.

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

I had another hair brained idea tonight after reading this thread....so here goes nothing....thinking out loud.

A lot of guys seem to like to make/build custom bumpers.

Has anyone ever built custom front and rear bumpers that could hold water? You could even expand this idea to the rock sliders!

Could this be done, and how much could they hold? 25 gallons each on the bumpers? How much on the sliders?

Have a water filler on the top. And a drain fitting on the bottom. You could easily use these to wash your dishes and other. Save the drinking water.

It saves space. It actually increases the strength of the bumper for an accident. I remember my new 1974 MGB. It had the stupid little black plastic water bumpers attached to the front and rear bumpers because of all of the new car safety regulations...and they couldn't keep up.

And/Or use PVC pipes attached next to the frame rails under the truck.

What do you think?

matt s

Explorer
Sadly a no go in cold climates, the chance of freeze expansion damage is too great. But I swear I have read somewhere on this forum where someone had done just as you are talking about. I think they were also talking about using rock sliders the same way.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Sadly a no go in cold climates, the chance of freeze expansion damage is too great. But I swear I have read somewhere on this forum where someone had done just as you are talking about. I think they were also talking about using rock sliders the same way.

If it might freeze....just fill them up less so the ice can expand, or do not use them at that time. No reason why they wouldn't add enjoyment in the summer.

I have that plastic container you mentioned above! I like it! $2 bucks brand new at a garage sale. And it folds flat when not using.....Perfect!

Early Bumper Water Storage!:costumed-smiley-007

1974_mg_mgb_british_racing_green.jpg

That's not me....mine was maroon with a black top.

Last edited by a moderator:

mmccurdy

Adventurer
Nice one. How much have you paid for it?

Just saw this reply today when the thread got bumped. I got it from Equipt, he's got it up for $210.

Call me crazy, but I have been considering going back to the way Dad used to do it.

We used to carry these things miles through the brush to hunting camps etc. Honestly over the years I think we only managed to tear one once. You can hang them, they hold 5 gallons, they have a spigot, and best of all 9 bucks.

I do have one of the MSR bags and it is really nice, but 30 bucks better nice???

I picked up a few of these bags a couple years ago. They never lasted more than a trip or two without springing a leak. I had at least one from Reliance and one from StanSport. When the material collapsed, it created sharp creases and the leaks generally formed at the points where it was creased.

That said I totally believe these were made better "back in the day" -- it seems like they may have gone the way of so many other things: cheaper materials, shoddier construction, etc. just to save a few bucks.

If I were you I'd stick to the MSR bags... just my two cents though.

matt s

Explorer
I had wondered if the quality had changed. The old ones seemed pretty sturdy. The plastic was thick.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I had another hair brained idea tonight after reading this thread....so here goes nothing....thinking out loud.

Not a bad idea in principle, but hard to do in practice. First, you gotta worry about rust. So either you have to coat the inside somehow, or you gotta use stainless steel. Most people around these parts don't have the equipment or knowledge to weld stainless properly.

On the classic old bags... I have one that came with my Coleman water heater. I don't trust it. The plastic is thick, but it seems to not be very pliable. Also, the valve really sucks.

rusty_tlc

Explorer

Has anyone ever built custom front and rear bumpers that could hold water? You could even expand this idea to the rock sliders!

Could this be done, and how much could they hold? 25 gallons each on the bumpers? How much on the sliders?....
231 cubic inches (L x W x H) = 1 gallon.
Volume of a cylinder V=π*r²*L
For a tube with a 3"id and 4' long
V=3.14*3²*48~1356.5
1356.5/231=6.4 gallons

skysix

Adventurer
That said I totally believe these were made better "back in the day" -- it seems like they may have gone the way of so many other things: cheaper materials, shoddier construction, etc. just to save a few bucks.

If I were you I'd stick to the MSR bags... just my two cents though.

Borrowed my folk's from the early 60's. Used it for 2 trips last summer with no leaks. I remember spending entire summers using it when out of school in the 70's and 80's and many 2 week trips after that.

I think you've nailed the problem. We buy crap 'cause its cheap so manufacturers go with the lowest common denominator - and thus it becomes impossible to buy quality products - or excessively expensive as custom made.

EG: Walmart sheets I bought in Germany a couple of years ago for a camping trip (rental RV) - 800 thread count, 20 euro a set ($30 at the time) and they are still the nicest feeling sheets I've got. Go to local Target and Wallmart and see what you get for $30....

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey

The only containers that I have had no problem with leaks are Nalgene's, MSR bladders, and Wedco's.

I have lost a couple gallons of water in the bottom of a vehicle on a week long trip with no water supply. Not fun!

gasman

Adventurer

ive got a couple of these babies that have to be close to 15yrs old and still use em a couple of time a yr.. i am careful not to crease em up though.
another nice thing is you can fill em 3/4's full and throw em in the freezer then top em off ice cold water for days and days...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven