Waterproofing an Action Packer

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Hey all,

I like the Action Packers for their combination of ruggedness, cost, and size. However, they are not waterproof, and on trips can get lots of moisture and dust in them.

I couldnt find any type of pre-made gasket that I could affix to the lid, so I used an old weather seal trick that I learned, modified for materials on hand.

Here are the APs. I started with the smaller one as it takes less material:
WaterproofActionPAcker001.jpg

Here is the channel you'll be working with:
WaterproofActionPAcker002.jpg

Take some 100 grit sandpaper, and roughen up the surface of the channel, making sure to get the sides, and the bottom very well. Spend some extra time in the radius areas. When you are finished, wipe the channel down with alcohol, or whatever, to clean all the debris out.

Next, take a tube of this:
WaterproofActionPAcker015.jpg

And apply an even bead all through the channel. Go a bit on the heavy side. If you dont get an even bead, just spead it all out with your fingertip.
WaterproofActionPAcker005.jpg

Next, place some plastic wrap, or wax paper, on the corresponding lip of the AP. I used plastic wrap is it was in the apt. Then set the lid on the AP, and clamp it down with the handles, and add some extra weight on top to get a good, positive seal. I added my Dutch Oven to the top.
WaterproofActionPAcker007.jpg

Let the whole thing cure for several days. This process takes longer as the plastic wrap keeps the moisture in. Mine cured for 2 days, and the wrap peeled off easily.

This is your finished product:
WaterproofActionPAcker013.jpg

I simulated a rain storm by hosing the AP down in my buddy's yard, and it came out completely dry inside. This size AP takes 1 tube of RTV, so make sure you have enough on hand if you are doing the larger styles.

Hope this works for you as well, and you now have an inexpensive alternative to high quality containers like Pelican.

kerry

Expedition Leader
The barrels from this company with the removable lids are great watertight containers. I have 5 which I have used for canoeing and rafting for 15 yrs and they still are as good as new. Been down the Grand Canyon and never leaked a drop. Very solid blow molded products.
I paid about $5 each at one of their British outlets. I then just mailed the barrels to myself in the US. Cost about $20 each for postage. I put the smaller round barrel (30 liter) inside the larger (60liter) They're sold in the US for about $100 at canoeing or rafting supply stores.

http://www.harcostar.co.uk/

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Bighead said:
Good idea. I used sticky sided weather striping in the channel on my Action Packers.
Yup, it's a great idea. I used regular old silicone caulk from Home Depot, but any number of things would work. Since my truck has gaps in various places you can see out, I subscribe to the making the container dustproof method...

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
You can also get the black high strength silicone in the 10" long tubes
to fit a standard sealant gun.

Its the windscreen glue from autozone etc, about $ 15 a tube

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
UK4X4 said:
You can also get the black high strength silicone in the 10" long tubes
to fit a standard sealant gun.

Its the windscreen glue from autozone etc, about $ 15 a tube

You can buy the black silicone in the same tubes at Home Depot or Lowes for about $5/tube.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Cool mod!

Seems like I'm always finding new uses for the Action Packer.

Example- How to keep an RTT ladder from sinking in the sand:
237016559_RWdsJ-L.jpg

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"black silicone in the same tubes at Home Depot or Lowes for about $5/tube"

this is just black standard silicone ....not high strength, there is a large diference between the two, both in its adhesive quality and physical strength.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
UK4X4 said:
"black silicone in the same tubes at Home Depot or Lowes for about $5/tube"

this is just black standard silicone ....not high strength, there is a large diference between the two, both in its adhesive quality and physical strength.

LOL....ok.

I'd say "black standard silicone" is more than sufficient for this application. I wasn't earlier, nor am I now, disputing your knowledge of either the adhesive or physical strength qualities of autozone brand high strength windscreen glue.

I only meant to add value to this post to say that a person can buy a tube of 100% silicone rubber sealant with a 50 year durability gurantee that meets ASTM C920, Class 25, TYPE S and Grade NS standards for $5.00 per tube.

TheGillz

Explorer
I'll dig this up and ask: Where the heck should I get Action Packers? I have looked at wally's, Lowes, HD. I can't seem to find them locally. Any thoughts on the best deal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven