Waterproofing an Action Packer

spunky2268

Adventurer
Axshun Pakers

Gillz,

Not sure if this will help, since you already did a recon, but our Super Wally Worlds have the smaller, 8-gallon size and the 24 gallon size. I found the 8 gals. in the RV/automotive section and the 24 gals. in the auto service department. Scads of them; in colors, too!

Incidentally, one of the Home Depots in the area recently cleared out the 24 gallon Packers at $9.99 each. I bagged 4 of them. You might still be able to find them.

A Google search will reveal lots of sources, but I've found them to be too pricey on-line.

Spunky

phatman

Observer
perfect i was wondering what type of storage/organization to get for my truck that would be water resistain and dust proof. is this the best container to use? and whats up with rhino lining it?

dirtysouth

Adventurer
TheGillz said:
I'll dig this up and ask: Where the heck should I get Action Packers? I have looked at wally's, Lowes, HD. I can't seem to find them locally. Any thoughts on the best deal?

I found mine at the local Wally World in the automotive section but also noticed them at REI.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Home Depot had mine on sale for 9.99 for the big ones, and REI had the small for twenty something.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Great idea...something I'll have to try.

I've seen them at wal-mart in the automotive section, also...you may try the sporting goods section at others store also....

phatman

Observer
failed twice.

ok i've done this twice now i, and i have failed twice. the first time i laid a nice fat bead and let it sit four days. when i tried to pull off the plastic wrap, the silicone came with it. the seconed time i went with a 80 grit sand paper thinking it would give better grip. i then laid a thinner bead and let the whole thing sit for seven days, with the same results.

i'm thinking it might be the silicone i'm using (window and door silicone II, 100% silicone). what do you think?

TheGillz

Explorer
I think you are right. The stuff in the second picture is "gasket maker" per the tube. I would just make sure and use what he suggests.

On another note, I finally found them locally. At REI for 16 and 32 bucks for the two sizes!!!! yikes. Admittedly I haven't been to Wally's yet to check.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I did mention that ordinary silicone probably won't work......

but my input was disagreed with .....

teotwaki

Excelsior!
dirtysouth said:
I found mine at the local Wally World in the automotive section but also noticed them at REI.

My local REI wanted $32 for a 24 Gallon and WalMart wanted only $21

James86004

Expedition Leader
Years ago (10?) we bought two action packers that had the same footprint as the 24 gallon, and the same height as the 8 gallon. They were the perfect size for a lot of things. We went back to look for two more a couple of years later, and couldn't find them.

Has anyone seen them anywhere recently?

TheGillz

Explorer
There are three sizes on amazon, but its the 8, 24, and 35. I think I recall what you are saying...but these were ones my stepdad had 20 years ago!

Long live the action packer!!

Colleen

Action Packer 48 Gallon (XL size)

These are great ideas for waterproofing the action packer, I had been looking for ways to do it myself and this is the only mention I found of others doing it when I searched online. You guys mentioned the smaller and medium sized action packer, but I have the largest, 48 gallon XL size and it is a little different than these other ones, it has one large locking clamp in the front center and hinges on the back (the lid does not completely remove, it is attached). Has anyone had any experience waterproofing the XL 48 gallon size? Would the same process work? I would need to waterproof this for rafting.

Also, for those that have used this waterproof AP themselves, what have your experiences been? Is this method very effective or are there some problems I should still be wary of? Any complete submersions that can away dry?

Thanks for any suggestions.

http://tinyurl.com/5buhur

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
This is a great idea, for keeping rain & dust, out of the box!:clapsmile

I would do some testing, before using it for rafting. The sides of the APs are fairly flexable, and may leek water, if it were to take a beating in a river. The APs are only clamped at each end, and there is a long length down each side, to try to maintain a tight seal.

Like I said; I would do some testing first. It might work.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven