Wentz's 2nd Gen Pickup Build

wentz912

Observer
So I'm building up my 1984 Toyota Pickup. Current stats are: Stock 22R with just under 200k, stock 5-speed and case, 30x9.50 Cooper ATs on black 15x7 "wagon" wheels, no rear bumper, saggy front suspension:ar15: :ar15: .

I've got a tail high stance of about 3" and I'm not really sure how I can correct it. I'm trying to stay away from a lift kit as I'm perfectly fine with how the rear suspension performs. The only downside to that idea is, according to every resource, you need a minimum of ~3" of lift in order for crossover steering to clear. I'm thinking about building a new leaf pack using the stock front main leaf as a base but I'm not sure if it will be worth the time if it's just going to sag on me again in the near future.

Anyways, other future plans include a new front bumper, a touch of sheetmetal trimming, 32x10.5 Super Swampers with MUCHO hot knifing, a locker for each end, massive amounts of storage in the bed, a rear bumper that takes the place of the pan beneath the tailgate, and most likely a new paint job ( a touch up at minimum.)

so what do you guys think? Ideas? Suggestions?

Clay

Adventurer
Looking forward to your build. One question; why swampers?

I'm building a '79 right now, I hear you on the lift vs crossover pain. It can (and will) be worked out in good time for me.

Older is better, I say. Stick with simple and make it work. Who needs all the frills?

wentz912

Observer
Clay said:
Looking forward to your build. One question; why swampers?

I'm building a '79 right now, I hear you on the lift vs crossover pain. It can (and will) be worked out in good time for me.

Older is better, I say. Stick with simple and make it work. Who needs all the frills?

Why swampers you say?

1. They're cheap in the size I want. Something like $130 a tire for the 32x10.5.

2. Washington mud and muck. Need I say more on that bit?

3. I know of a guy that got an honest 40k out of his set of 4 radials. Correct air pressure is of the UTMOST importance with swampers. He ran his at 12 PSI for street driving on his jeep. Most people run them entirely too high and destroy the center lugs prematurely.

On the steering issue, I'm really not sure what I'm going to do. If I do end up using a lift kit I will most definitely go with crossover, however, I've been recently looking into ways to beef up the stock push-pull steering system.

Definitely agree with you on the KISS principle as well. I'm young enough that I can deal with the hardship of having to sleep on the ground udner my truck versus in a RTT or something of similar nature. I like the fact taht I can fix most anything on the vehicle with basic hand tools.

Paul R

Adventurer
wentz912 said:
Nobody else ahs anything to say? I'M SHOCKED!!!

Post some pics I'm sure plenty will say something.

I just sold my 84 Xtra-cab...I loved that thing I had it overbuilt for what I really ended up using it for. I bought it for crawling then realized I mainly just want to get out and about. But that thing would go anywhere!

I really like the idea... I had the cross over stearing, definately a great addition. IMO 2.5-3" is about right plus it will allow you to go up to 33's if you wanted, but you'll want to look into gears.

Good luck I look forward to watching you build it up

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
You might get more responses from 4x4wire or pirate, as they have more people interested in crawlers and mudders and such. Not taking anything away from your rig, because it will be SWEET, but different interests here, mostly.

But, definitely post some pics! :26_7_2:

wentz912

Observer
Here's some pics for you guys finally.

stuck006.jpg

NicStump.jpg

fad7f8e7.jpg

And I'm not entirely sure what you meant by my build doesn't exactly fit the sort you would see here? The Interco's were actually a temporary cheap way out. I've come to realize that they really aren't what I want or need.

On that note what have you guys had the best luck with as far as getting the best bang for your buck out of a mild MT tire? I would love to be able to afford Goodyear MTRs but I'm afraid that won't be happening anytime soon...:friday:

And on the note of AllPro's 3" spring, I definitley did consider that idea, but they no longer manufactur those springs. At the moment I am seriously considering building new leaf packs for the front using a combination of the stock mainspring and various springs from a set of two stock rear packs.

Clay

Adventurer
The truck looks great. I think it fits in just fine here. What are your plans for the bed? A camper, or.....?

I'm running 33" MT/R's that I found on craigslist used for $250. Don't think that those types of deals aren't out there, because they are. You just have to be persistent and look. The good thing about building a mild truck is that many people will buy mild parts then want more so they will replace them far before they are wore out and sell them cheap.

As far as lift goes, my plans are for 63" chevy 1/2 ton springs in back with the shortest shackles I can find and no blocks, then I will take the old rear springs apart and mix them into the front spring pack to make the lift for the front. What you have to remember is that most of the bigger trucks aren't lifted that much by the springs, most of the time they gain lift by using box drops and longer shackles. You can get a pretty good ride and flex out of the end product without all the lift if you do your homework.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I put some used GM 64's (63's, 65's, what ever you want to call them) on my '84. Best mod I ever made to the rear of that truck. Truck came to me with unknown ~3" springs on the front and using a 6" or so WFO shackle in the rear conversion kept the truck level.

On these live axle trucks skip right past the common off road shock brands and put on Bilstein 5100's or better. I used the All-Pro front hoop kit (the stock front upper shock mount is limiting).

IMO 3" lift is just about right for these trucks. I'd prefer a 2" for getting in and out, but that forces too many other compromises not worth making.

I've been using stock steering for 10 years. I have most of the bits now made to go to cross-over, but there are more important projects to be done first. I do carry a spare J-arm and the tools to R&R it.

By cutting a 4X8 of 1/4" to lay flat between the fenderwells and then covering it with outdoor carpet from a home store I'm able to sleep up out of the muck, mud, grit, & critters in the bed of the truck.

wentz912

Observer
Clay-my plans for the bed at the moment are only to patch up the floor and to create large amounts storage in one form or another. I do keep an eye out on CL for deals on tires but haven't had any luck yet, hopefully will sometime soon.

ntsqd- On that note I may just build whatever I need for the front, then eventually build the rear with 63" Chevy's to match how the front will sit then. The only thing is, is at the moment is the truck is the only vehicle I have available for me to use on a daily basis, so I'm timid to start tearing things apar and welding on them, creating a situation in which i'm not able to use the truk for more than a couple of days. However, that is most likely the direction I am heading.

Clay

Adventurer
I have pretty good luck on pirate4x4 and ttora for finding deals as well. It seems like many people start reading pirate with 33's or smaller on their truck, then the next thing they know they have 36+ tires on and the 33's are for sale. You can probably find good deals on parts that way as well.

Too bad your so far away, I have a pretty nice shell for your body style truck that I need to get rid of cheap....I didn't realize that the 1st gen beds were three inches shorter! Oh well...

wentz912

Observer
Yeah, I will definitely be keeping my eye out on Pirate and such for deals too, but run into the problem of the fact that most of the guys on there are a LONG ways away from me in one direction or another.

Thanks for the offer on the shell, but I've already got one, just isn't on the truck at the moment since the sun is finally starting to come out up around here.

wentz912

Observer
Just another question here for you guys. As one could imagine, the OEM shocks on the 24 year old truck are absolutely TOAST and are seriously limiting the articulation of my stock springs. What's a good stock height length shock?

Clay

Adventurer
It will vary depending on vehicle. How you do it is take all the shocks off, then drive up a ramp of some sort untill a tire comes off of the ground. Then you measure the length from eye to eye of all four corners and this will give you the measurements you will need to order the correct shock. What you need is a measurement for the collapsed height of the shock and one for the expanded height of the shock. It will be different front and rear, but should be the same from side to side if that makes sense? Once you have those numbers go to a 4x4 shop and order them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater