WH(WK) Expo to Iceland with family August 2013

BAH

Very nice pics, thanks for sharing. I would love to go on a trip like that.
I will have to second Scootr29's comment, you look like you came pretty close to ingesting water into your intake.

Lecoq

Explorer
Love it! Thank you for sharing. Did you, at any point, wish you had a snorkel for some of the water crossings?

jeepgc

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments. I will write up and put some words to those pictures sometime soon :)

The trip was incredible, we're all missing being out there and still feels a little strange being home.

Iceland is a wild place. Even with the summer tourist invasion there were days where we only saw a few cars. I've never breathed or drank air and water that was so clean.

Yeah scootr is right. In hindsight, a snorkel would've been a good idea :). We were told that the river crossings wouldn't be that deep.

You can see in the pics where the water came over the bonnet when our front registration plate was ripped off, that was the deepest crossing we did.

That road led to a scenic dead end, after a short stop we turned around and headed back out.

When we stopped, one of the people there asked us how the river crossing was. They told us that they had broken an axle on that crossing the day before.

If you look at the pics on Flickr and find the pics showing the digger, that is the same crossing. There was a bus that couldn't cross, the digger was called to fill in the deeper part so that the bus could cross.

This all happened on the way back after our crossing.

I took a few pics of one of the Icelandic "super jeeps" making the same crossing, the part where the water came over our bonnet barely covered their wheels :)

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Sits a little low in the rear
Are you planning for a lift kit? You really don't want a low ********.

That cargo area looks really well done. Overall a nice fitout I think.

jeepgc

Adventurer
The ******** was low on stock :)

We had a 2.5" lift using OME springs and shocks using HD springs at the rear, fitted before we left, you can see the lifted pics just before the trip.

jeepgc

Adventurer
LOL no problem nomad :) thanks for the postive feedback about the cargo area.

It was useful and served its purpose well on the trip.

All of the mods worked really well.

The Jeep is still covered in Icelandic dirt and dust :)

jeepgc

Adventurer
Full size off road pics added to the Iceland pics set, in order so that you can see what we had to get through.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chickenzilla/sets/72157635336718461/

Still got a load of video to get through, but will have this sorted out soon.

But here's a little to keep you going, this is the video where the Jeep's registration plate was ripped off:

[video]http://www.flickr.com/photos/chickenzilla/9776189261/in/set-72157635336718461[/video]

The music :) (Grýlurnar - Maó Gling) is one of the songs we heard on the radio while we were there.

mesha

Observer
Iceland is a wild, beautiful place.

How was your trip mesha?

It was beautiful. I didn't get to spend as much time there as I would have liked and most of it was in the city. I was on my way back from a backpacking trip in greenland. I figured I should see some of the sights in Iceland. I would like to go back.

mesha

Observer
Wow, a backpacking trip in Greenland? You going to write it up and put up some pics?

I probably should, although is isn't vehicle based so I didn't know where to put it:).

We started at the Icecap and walked out to the coast. 125 miles over the tundra. It took 8 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk