WH(WK) Expo to Iceland with family August 2013

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Its about $3800 to Iceland and $2800 coming back. May be cheaper to ship to the UK and drive there via ferry from Denmark, or UK to Faroe Islands to Iceland.

Wow. Is that one vehicle in a 20ft. container?

I assume it's a lot cheaper for two in a 40 ft. ?

Thanks,
-Dan

Main Line Overland

Supporting Sponsor
That is a per vehicle figure, 2 vehicles is double the price.

The problem is, there is not a lot of competition for Eimskip's Greenline Service, so the prices are high. Compare this to shipping to the UK and there are more options.

Ask me how I know :)
DSC_0115.jpg

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
That is a per vehicle figure, 2 vehicles is double the price.

That sounds like something is being manipulated.

A 40 ft. container is only around 20% more than a 20 ft... and you can fit two vehicles in the 40ft, so typically when shipping, it's almost 1/2 price to put two in a 40.

-Dan

Rufus T. Doofus

How long ago did you get those quotes? I live in Maine and have a house in Portland. There's a lot of investment going on the waterfront to extend rail service to the container shipping dock area. Eimskip has apparently convinced the governor that they fully intend to build up their outbound container services.

The motivation to move from Norfolk, VA to Portland was primarily driven by exporters of farm-raised Arctic char in iceland. Portland is a 5 day shorter voyage and they can ship fresh fish instead of frozen.

I think the lack of containers leaving the US at the moment from Portland may be driving up the costs. At the moment containers have to be transferred from the rail yard by truck to the port.

The service has to be economical. According to recent news articles JØTUL is shipping two containers a month of their wood stoves to the US, converting them to gas/propane burners here in Maine and re-exporting the stoves in containers to the UK. I don't think they would go through that effort if the shipping costs didn't make sense.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Its about $3800 to Iceland and $2800 coming back. May be cheaper to ship to the UK and drive there via ferry from Denmark, or UK to Faroe Islands to Iceland.

Ferry from Denmark to Iceland via faroes is just over US$4,000 for a return trip. Add either ferry/eurotunnel fare + fuel to get from UK to Denmark.

That price is for 2 adults + 2 children for cabin with a sea view for 2014.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Thanks for the great write-up!
:)

PS: what tire size are you using?

Thank you pdragon, I still haven't finished. I have written more, but want to post up a decent amount of material since it's been a couple of months since I last updated it.

To answer your question, we're running 255x60x18 tires.

jeepgc

Adventurer
INCREDIBLE pictures. INCREDIBLE build. Well done my friend.

Thank you camber, but I can't take credit for either of those. Iceland created the scenery, Russell offroad and oakleaf conversions did the build.

I'll post up my next update pretty soon.

67390FE

You have me reminiscing. I was stationed in Iceland back in the early '80s. Beautiful country for those who are inclined to get out and experience it! Some of the sailors that had PCS orders there had some effectively modified 4x4's. They allowed us to camp and explore, what to us, the most untouched nature we had experienced. I would definitely like to make a return trip one day! Thanks for sharing!

jeepgc

Adventurer
You have me reminiscing......Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome 67390FE, thanks for reading, I'm still in the process of writing the rest of the trip up.

Wow, in the early '80s, Iceland must've been wilder and much less tourist oriented than it is now, any pics/stories you'd like to share?

Which service were you in when you were there?

67390FE

I do not want to hijack a very cool thread so I’ll keep this short. These are a few 30 year old pics from when the Navy provided a way for me to see the world.

This is the road to Krafla, just outside of Akureyri, in the north of the island.

Here we are at Krafla, a fissure volcano.

This is a “highway” on our trip to Gullfoss and Þingvellir. We did make it through, it just took some work to get past the drift (just one of many).

My only regret is, I wish the inconsiderate young sailor would have kept better notes for the old guy he would eventually become. The first two are in the fall, the third is the only one that got a date printed on the back and it was Nov. 1984. Oh well, live and learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues