What are the downsides to a FWC?

craig333

Expedition Leader
Or just leave it on. Just noticed I have three days off next week. Grab some food and beer and I'm off. If I really must see whats down that road I'll tow the Jeep. Mine does have a few scratches from traveling narrow roads. Oh well. I cook outside mostly like most of us but its so nice to wake up and get the coffee going (setup previously) before going outside.

Durango

Adventurer
... its so nice to wake up and get the coffee going (setup previously) before going outside.
Agreed. And even better is what we do now. We bought a super good one quart stainless steel Thermos from REI and make the coffee the night before. (We preheat the Thermos with hot water first.) Super hot coffee in the morning- while poured from bed. Luxury! :)

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I doit that way to, but-

This works also-
004_zps2217c65c.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Bombsight

Observer
Recently, I had a REALLY popular teardrop camper. It had lots of leaks. Not being able to stand up in it sucked! I can only imagine how nice a FWC will be when I order one next year at this time. It will be loaded and mounted on a 2016 GMC 2500 Denali .... THE ONLY NEGATIVES I forsee is the cost of the rig. Anything worth having isnt cheap!

escadventure

Adventurer
As some have mentioned, the RTT is a great option, but when the weather sets in, it's sucks bigtime. Putting away a wet tent, while it's raining or snowing is a pain. Climbing to the truck roof to do it is seriously frustrating. Doing it with your wife is total hell... Other than that it's great. Having a big awning with walls made it a more usable setup but also meant more crap to put away wet.

Since we got our camper, we've enjoyed a small piece of heaven for the following reasons: it takes less than 10 seconds to set up. We're comfortable and securefrom the elements. While the cooling fan and heater unit are a matter of comfort, they are also a matter of sustainability to remain out longer. Staying cold/wet or overheated is risking a premature ending to your adventure. Our setup is created with a mobile kitchen concept. Nothing built into the camper. Portable faucet, sink and stove. Everything is used outside until the weather rolls in, then can be used inside where the cabinets and furniture are designed to easily use the same kitchen gear. Easy, reliable, wife loves it.

To address your question, we decided against the FWC not because of quality (there are obviously many happy customers), but because of design preferences. The design of the overhang, the entry door, the bed, the cabinets, the vertical roof, aluminum frame and thin walls and lack of storage all effected our choice. We paid too much for our choice of camper because the currency exchange rate was pretty bad at the time of purchase, but at current rates, our camper could be had for about the same or less than a FWC.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I really enjoyed my FWC while I owned it. It really will go anywhere. I had two issues that caused me to go to a hardside; high winds and the thin mattress. I never felt comfortable in high winds and the mattress is just too thin for me. I plan on fulltiming in my camper and feel the downside of having a huge profile is offset by the additional comfort in a hardside.

Bombsight

Observer
Would a denser foam be a solution to the thin matress?

I read where FWC's have handled up to or over 60 mph winds. I cant see myself camping in a tropical storm or Hurricane.

Bombsight

Observer
I really enjoyed my FWC while I owned it. It really will go anywhere. I had two issues that caused me to go to a hardside; high winds and the thin mattress. I never felt comfortable in high winds and the mattress is just too thin for me. I plan on fulltiming in my camper and feel the downside of having a huge profile is offset by the additional comfort in a hardside.

I read where FWC's have handled up to or over 60 mph winds. I cant see myself camping in a tropical storm or Hurricane.

anickode

Adventurer
I always saw the downside of truck campers and vehicles mounted RTTs to be the fact that if you want to go wheeling, you have to pack up and stow EVERYTHING good and secure, and if you flip over, (bigger concern with the higher COG), not only is your truck wrecked, but your accommodation are too.

That said, your style of overhanging has a lot to do with your choice in accommodation. If I were to pick between a truck camper and a RTT, the camper would take it hands down.

carbon60

Explorer
I see many posts about putting an RTT away taking a while. There is a big difference between a safari-style RTT and a hard shell RTT. I have the latter (Roost) and it opens and closes in a minute or two. I point the truck into the wind and it is weatherproof.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4

The mattress was too firm for my taste. It was nice with a memory foam cover but the cover did not fit when the top was down. I had it in some strong winds but it always made me nervous so I couldn't sleep. Might have been silly but it kept me awake. I slept in the lower bed which was more comfortable but I had to move stuff around a lot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk