What Do You Dislike About Your JK

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
I don't know about new demographics. People in the cities have been buying Jeeps for years, mostly for the adventurous image and then never actually using the Jeep for anything more than a commuter car. The cities are typically the best place to shop for a used CJ or Wrangler and I've bought several from urban areas for myself and other people. All of them were stockish, very clean and not well used like rural Jeeps.

Thats how I picked up my jku. It was a soccer mom jeep never been off road. as soon as I bought it and I wasnt working I took it offroad. Its a rural Jeep now!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I wish the 2007-2011 JK interior would fit a tall person. The vertical blade on the dash presses right into my knee. The newer interior removed the vertical blade, but added a horizontal gulliotine on either side of the steering column. Not good. Very painful. I wish the bolts were standardized. I'm okay with Torx, but I don't love them. X2 on the weak front axle tubes. I've experienced multiple failures in my various trail groups.

I think the placement of the rear shock bottom brackets is horrible. Curry makes nice weld on skids for those however.

Stylistically, I miss the older paint colors, and I always think the JKU hardtop looks too much like a Hummer.

Climate controls arent great, so it would be awesome if they put in a heated windshield like Land Rover uses. I think the days of folding windshield are long gone anyway.

Edit! Can't believe I forgot the tailgate! I MUCH prefer a fold down tailgate like the CJ... but a dual mode tailgate like the Honda Ridgeline would be pretty sweet!

Last edited:
My wife and I bought a brand new 2012 JK Sport (2 door with hardtop, A/C, 3.73 ratio, tow package, 6 speed manual) in June 2012 for the direct purpose of building it up into a capable backcountry explorer. We figured we'd better buy a new Jeep before Fiat totally ruins it. It was the first brand new 4x4 we've ever purchased, and we have had many 4wd's in the past including a couple IH Scouts, a Jeep CJ5, a Toyota pickup, and several Nissan WD21/22's, all mildy modded with lifts, tires, diff ockers, bumpers, etc. I've always done 100% of the mechanical work on our vehicles, and am very particular on maintenance.

Things that have been an irritation to us, in no particular order:

1. Black interior - shows dirt, stupid color for a sunny desert climate, and the seats aren't very comfortable.
2. Carpet is the most difficult to vacuum and clean of any vehicle I've ever owned.
3. Windshield wipers don't have much tension at the lower part of the drivers side, and always leave smears when driving on dirty roads.
4. I hate the black fenders, and they are ugly and horribly difficult to clean.
5. Windshield chips and pits more than other vehicle I've seen.
6. Back seat floor area design is ridiculous with no place for passenger's feet (our daughter hates it).
7. Hose and electrical routing, hardware, and retainers seem cheap and poorly engineered, especially compared with Nissan and Toyotas I've had before.
8. Steering stabilizer hangs way too low and is a rock magnet.
9. Rear shock / lower control arm mounts hang too low and are rock magnets.
10. Reverse gear in the NSG370 6 speed is way too high ratio, and it is very difficult to back up any type of incline especially in high range.
11. The Pentastar v6 engine has no torque just off idle and the electronic throttle seems to have an annoying delay in response, which makes it difficult to bump up rock ledges, and I've stalled more taking off from stop lights in this Jeep than all other vehicles I've had in the past combined.
12. Factory battery is junk and gassed acid since new (I removed and cleaned it several times a year), and it died totally a month ago.
13. Ridiculously low tow rating even with the tow package. My '01 Xterra is double the JK's rating.

Things we love:
1. Off road capability and utility for rugged backcountry use. It is the only REAL traditional 4x4 left in the US, which is why we bought it. There are no others available which compare, especially with ease of off road modifications for clearance and capability.
2. Its an American icon!
3. Interior is very nicely laid out and pleasant.
4. Ride and drive is excellent for a lifted solid axle 4wd.
5. LSD function of the traction control in 4 low is very good, and has narrowed the capability between open axles and Rubicon lockers.
6. Removable top and doors.
7. Its just fun and puts a smile on our face every time we hop in.

Stoked

Observer
The only thing I hate is that other people do not understand that I am not driving a race car. I won't be pulling away from a stop light at the same pace as a sports car. I get more dirty looks, middle fingers, and cuss words from people blasting around me at a stop light than I can even count anymore.

Jurfie

Adventurer
The only thing I hate is that other people do not understand that I am not driving a race car. I won't be pulling away from a stop light at the same pace as a sports car. I get more dirty looks, middle fingers, and cuss words from people blasting around me at a stop light than I can even count anymore.

Nothing a HEMI or LS swap wouldn't fix. ;)

marktutone

Adventurer
I have 07 wrangler x. I have a popup tent trailer that I tow. It tow's fine. 3.8 works fine for me. I have two gripes. One no foot rest for my left foot. Two, there seems to be a little hesitation in acceleration. My dad had a Mercedes 500 SEL and I remember it had the same slight hesitation. Other than that I love my Jeep. Every time I get into it I am on expedition. I will never own any other vehicle than a Jeep Wrangler.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Both of my Jeeps will go over 80 MPH and I can squeak the tires in either going into 2nd. Why do I need to do so?
I've had Jeeps that would go well over 100 MPH. Well, I was young and stupid, but they were fun, but I had to figure the top speed out. No they wern't stock.
Anymore I just putt along at 50 or 60 MPH. I've had SUVs follow me for miles. At some point I imagine they figured out that old stinkey Jeep isn't going to be going any faster.
Oops perhaps the wrong forum, I was refering to the install of a hemi.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: heh Heh, yeah-I had the same problem years ago, so-

I have 07 wrangler x. I have a popup tent trailer that I tow. It tow's fine. 3.8 works fine for me. I have two gripes. One no foot rest for my left foot. Two, there seems to be a little hesitation in acceleration. My dad had a Mercedes 500 SEL and I remember it had the same slight hesitation. Other than that I love my Jeep. Every time I get into it I am on expedition. I will never own any other vehicle than a Jeep Wrangler.

I gotta MORE-Dead Pedal Driver-PT# DP0709DS-$49 BUCKS
Deadpedal006.jpg

Problem solved-FOREVER-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

marktutone

Adventurer
:sombrero: heh Heh, yeah-I had the same problem years ago, so-

I gotta MORE-Dead Pedal Driver-PT# DP0709DS-$49 BUCKS
Deadpedal006.jpg

Problem solved-FOREVER-

Yep, I plan on buying one. The biggest problem I have with my jeep that I forgot to mention is that my wife gets pissed off every time I buy something for it.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Well, you could placate her by buying something for her----a little more expensive, each time !

Yep, I plan on buying one. The biggest problem I have with my jeep that I forgot to mention is that my wife gets pissed off every time I buy something for it.

I'm afraid I couldn't afford that with my wife though-

Grin and Bearit-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman