What do you guys think of this Montero?

zukrider

Explorer
thanx off-roader. will do. it has come to my atttention though, that it does not have the rear locker, which has me bummed out. but it is a 3.5, so i will just have to swap it out. and i was planning a gear change for when i step up to 35's/37's, so i will just do it all at the same time.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
it does not have the rear locker

yeah, I saw you posted that on the 'wire and was quite surprised to hear it. General consensus has been all SR's came with a locker but I guess that's not the case. Really sucks but the good news is, rear ends like that go for far less than say an ARB locker and are straight forward to swap in. I should add that either the 3rd member or entire rear end are easy enough to do with a slight edge going to the entire rear end because it will be less messy. LOL.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Neat looking Truck Jeff. I've NEVER seen that color. Does the orange sticker signify that it has the locker in it??? I don't know what to look for on these trucks. I know the switch is down by the Tcase right, on the center console??? Nice tig, can't wait to see it get some use.

and say it with me ZUK: OREGON... ;)

Cheers

Dave

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Neat looking Truck Jeff. I've NEVER seen that color. Does the orange sticker signify that it has the locker in it??? I don't know what to look for on these trucks. I know the switch is down by the Tcase right, on the center console??? Nice tig, can't wait to see it get some use.

and say it with me ZUK: OREGON... ;)

Cheers

Dave

Thanks, I'm picking it up saturday morning. The sticker is indeed for the rear locker and the switch is in front of the t-Case lever.

DuManchu

Wow, excellent find!

But more importantly, why hasn't this shown up when I do nationwide searches on cars.com and AutoTrader?

I swear, sometimes I think the vehicle gods have it out for me.

Good thing I'm mostly looking for a 3rd gen, though I'd definitely take a low-mile SR in a heartbeat (especially one that clean).

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Wow, excellent find!

But more importantly, why hasn't this shown up when I do nationwide searches on cars.com and AutoTrader?

I swear, sometimes I think the vehicle gods have it out for me.

Good thing I'm mostly looking for a 3rd gen, though I'd definitely take a low-mile SR in a heartbeat (especially one that clean).

This one is my second choice...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=292689403&dealer_id=63633533&model=MONT&start_year=1981&body_style=SUV&search_type=both&distance=500&end_year=2003&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&address=40014&make=MIT&seller_type=b

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Nice Jeff, I'm sure it'll give you MANY years of great servince... What are the plans for her??? Seems like you have quite a few neat trucks. You didn't sell the LWB Suzi did you??? IS this Monty going to replace another truck of yours (hopefully NOT the neat Diesel Swaped Mazda, I'm still drooling over your build on her eh) or is it just going to be another, more DD and family friendly truck for long hauls???

it is my current passion in life to move to oregon! someday!
Well ZUK, if/when you make it here you'll find we have quite a few Expo members and there's ALOT of great places to explore. I gotta say (and I'm clearly biased) Oregon is one of the greatest states to go exploring in (Idaho and Montana being my other favorites oh AND CO - got LOTS of family in Denver) and the NW in general is somewhere that I am VERY proud to be from(gotta be the only place I can imagine could make me WANT to come home to after living in AUstralia - although I still want to move back to OZ...). When ya get here we'll give ya a warm welcome eh ;) Expo members are ALWAYS welcome around my camp-fire. Aw hell, who am I kidding, EVERYONE (AS long as you're not throwing racial slurs and trash all over the place ;) ) is welcome around my camp fire eh. That's what the wilderness is for. Finding good folks who share common interestes. Kind of like this awesome board eh. If you're into rafting (or want to get into it) get yourself up here and we'll get you out on the river... the season is just about to break and I'll be on a river for the next 6 months if I can work it right. Always good to have more great folks on trips or day floats with us, we've gotr LOTS of boats and a nice old Dodge Van for long hauls (although I usualy take the Toyota for piece of mind and my own little camper ;) ). There's always room for another paddler, novice or experienced, plusd were ALWAYS fonding cool trails in the places we go... From Lowman (Payette River Valley basin) to Stanley (the Bitterroot mountains and the Salmon River drains) is some of the most :drool: worthy country I've ever seen. SE OR is another amazing place I've barely scratched the surface of really. ANy way, I digress, sorry to Take Jeff's thread OT... SORRY JEFF :D

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Nice Jeff, I'm sure it'll give you MANY years of great servince... What are the plans for her??? Seems like you have quite a few neat trucks. You didn't sell the LWB Suzi did you??? IS this Monty going to replace another truck of yours (hopefully NOT the neat Diesel Swaped Mazda, I'm still drooling over your build on her eh) or is it just going to be another, more DD and family friendly truck for long hauls???

Dave

Actually it's for the wife to replace the Grand Vitara that I'm selling. We will do some expedition type travel with it, maybe drive some or all of the TAT.
Still have my toys :sombrero:
I'm still waiting on the diesel motor to get here for the Mazda. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven