What have you done to your Land Cruiser Today?

Expedition Leader
Got the hardtop and doors back on it for the season last week, but haven't been able to find the bolts. I lose them every year! Went and bought some new bolts and got the hardtop all on and adjusted and happy. Now I am going to spend the next few days trying to hunt down all the rattles and stop them... or at least lessen them.

I find it helps to put the hard top on without installing the ambulance doors (in my case), the B-pillar hold-down bolts, and the top of the windshield bolts, and drive around for a few days like that (over some bumpy roads if possible). That seems to help the hard top settle down some. Then I go back and install the windshield bolts, tighten the top-to-tub bolts, and install the B-pillar bolts and ambo doors. And make sure you are using all of the various pads and gaskets that go with the hard top too. You'll never get rid of all the squeaks and rattles, but you can reduce them.

hairy_apple

Adventurer
I actually seem to have got all the rattles out. I don't know yet for sure, but I spent a few hours today adjusting doors, and finding squeeks and rattles and got them all taken care of. My windows were 90% of the bad rattles, and I put foam weatherstipping into the doors where the window comes out the top. Replaced and repaired the felt in the channels. I think I have them all gone. It was dark and cold and I was tired, so I didn't do a road test, but I drove around in my field and they seem to be done.. and my field is as rough as any dirt road the cruiser normally rattles like crazy down.

I do need to get some parts that are missing. I don't have ANY gasket between the top and tub anymore. The brackets on the windshield are long lost. If I am going to keep it on year round, I need to replace all these things and get it right before it goes on for the last time. I used to rarely put the top on, it was just a lid to keep the rain out for a few months. Now I want to keep it on. More storage, more room, it's safer for the dog. It's more secure for our stuff in the back when parked. And when it comes down to it, my favorite way to drive my cruiser is top on, doors off.

Next up.. find all the leaks! When it rains I have water coming in from the top, and mud coming in from the bottom, and it's just a bad deal all around. Cracked old weather stripping around the windows, ect. Just need to find stuff and fix it so water stays mostly on the outside. It's an FJ40, I realize it will never be 100% water tight and rattle/squeak free, but I can get it closer then it is now.

Expedition Leader
Next up.. find all the leaks! When it rains I have water coming in from the top, and mud coming in from the bottom, and it's just a bad deal all around. Cracked old weather stripping around the windows, ect. Just need to find stuff and fix it so water stays mostly on the outside. It's an FJ40, I realize it will never be 100% water tight and rattle/squeak free, but I can get it closer then it is now.

Yeah, mine leaks through the windshield/cowl gasket and drips under the dash. When I drop the windshield, the rubber gasket looks to be in decent shape and straight, but something is not right.

I take my top off every spring and put it back on every fall/winter. I like it both ways - usually ready to have it on or off every time.

Rumpig

Adventurer
Yetsreday i moved the 80W solar panel i have mounted on the rear section of my roofrack to the front section, and i slanted it up on an angle to help act as a wind break for the Spacecase that i fitted onto the roofrack for some extra undercover / lockable storage area. Heading away for a 6 week trip soonish, and needed somewhere for the chainsaw and other assorted gear to go, so i added the Spacecase so i don't have the fuel and oil smells in either the vehicle or camper trailer. Went for a drive of about 200klms today and noticed some extra wind noise with the new set up, not totally unexpected, but a touch louder then i would have liked it to be. Reckon once i return from the trip away, the Spacecase will come off of the roofrack and i'll lay the solar panel back down flat again like it used to be.

enzo

Explorer
Made an offer on a 2000 LC and he accepted (will be picking it up next week). I'm a LC owner!!!!!!!!!

dcoy

Adventurer
Made an offer on a 2000 LC and he accepted (will be picking it up next week). I'm a LC owner!!!!!!!!!

But..... you're not getting rid of your cool FJC, are you? By the the way the FJC is an LC, just a small one, per Toyota.

dcoy

Adventurer
Got Maxxima LEDs installed on my '60.

It was not easy but I'm happy with the results. The amount of light and the quality of light they throw is incredible. The Hella H4s, even with a headlight wiring harness upgrade, were pathetic. Driving at night on the road was no fun; always straining to acclimate to the dark. Turn on the off road lights and you pay for it next time you turn them off for oncoming traffic (lost acclimation). That is history now with these bad boys.

The bad part was that they turned out to not be a plug and play install. I plugged them in and nothing happened (they didn't play). It turns out that my "ancient" (1987) Cruiser wiring harness/relays switch the headlights using the ground, not the power and this is incompatible with the LED. Took the LC to Prescott and after a little (slightly understated) head scratching, the guys at Adventure Trailers reworked the wiring and now we're up and running.

Expedition Leader
Got Maxxima LEDs installed on my '60.

I'm interested in putting LED headlights in my 40, so thanks for the review. Curious as to how you chose these particular lights, and if you looked at the J.W. Speaker or Trucklite lights since both of those seem popular. Also, how much do the Maxximas cost? Thanks!

enzo

Explorer
But..... you're not getting rid of your cool FJC, are you? By the the way the FJC is an LC, just a small one, per Toyota.

Thanks and no I'm not selling my FJ. I was considering selling my 3rd gen 4Runner but i might just keep it. Here are a few pics I took before my test drive. Anyone want this TJM bumper?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 47

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater