What is a fair price for a 4runner?

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Perhaps Toyota is just not the brand for you. There's really no better automotive investment, I paid $1800 (at auction) for mine 3 yrs ago and I know I can sell it for more today. If a buyer says to me that I am asking too much because a 1996 Tahoe is cheaper I would laugh.

Viggen

Just here...
Expand your search radius. I am looking for a 4th gen right now to be a DD. Around me, anything with less than 60k miles on it is $22k easy. Expand out a couple hundred miles, that drops to $16k.

Clutch

<---Pass
Expand your search radius. I am looking for a 4th gen right now to be a DD. Around me, anything with less than 60k miles on it is $22k easy. Expand out a couple hundred miles, that drops to $16k.

Plenty here, you could buy one out of state have it shipped and still be cheaper.

Viggen

Just here...
Plenty here, you could buy one out of state have it shipped and still be cheaper.

I am not above a road trip. I flew down to New Orleans to buy my BJ60 and drove it 1200 miles home. If it works out financially, it is a good move.

Arktikos

Explorer
I've been considering anything and everything. I'm checking out one of my favs a 1996 2 door Tahoe
02.jpg

I can already see some body issues, Tahoe on one side but not the other, missing running board on same side, paint blemishes. All ammo for me to work on the price

Wouldn't get a Tahoe, or that lifted $Runner either. Xterra is a good alternative to overpriced Runners.

Viggen

Just here...
Wouldn't get a Tahoe, or that lifted $Runner either. Xterra is a good alternative to overpriced Runners.

Two door Blazers/ Tahoes are rad. Tons of stuff available for them and since they are based on a full size, lots of junkyard parts available. Lots of issues with XTerras though. The 4Runner, while overpriced in some markets, is known to not burn oil, to return decent mileage, to not having timing chain issues, to not have auto transmission issues, to have seats that are not fashioned after a cardboard box, to have plastics that are more than just melted down Tonka toys, etc.... Unlike the XTerra.

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
The strawberry milk shake is an easy thing to prevent. It's catastrophic if you don't know what to look for though. I have had both 4runners and Xterras and both have their ups and downs. If you know what to look for you'll get the Nissan at the better price.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

Viggen

Just here...
^
strawberry milkshake? I am sure you know where that came from. Any car/truck has its issues.

Ahh, on a 3rd gen. So you add a cooler.... and then drive it and not worry about timing chain issues? Or oil burning issues?

It is true that any vehicle has its issues. Some just more than others. And some, are just more expensive to remedy when they eventually happen.

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
Most issues are known and well documented. Just the fixes people already figured out and you're good to go.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

nasko

Adventurer
Viggen, I am sorry man, but I just don't drink the Toyota cool-aid. Yes, they are great trucks, amazing actually, but to me they are not worth that much more monetary. If we go into detail: the 6 cyl engine of the 4th Geh 4Runner is known to blow head gaskets and wrap the aluminum head. The 8 cyl. ones have the well documented 4x4 actuator problem. Both are well known and expensive issues. Now, does that make the 4Runner bad/unreliable? No, I do not think so, in fact I very much like them. But for the price of a manual 1999 4Runner with 220K km I got a manual 2005 base Xterra with 129K km. This I like much better. So far (1.5 years and over 30K km) it has been great, not sure what will happen in the future but so far I am happy. The fix for the strawberry milkshake is the same for both, equally cheap. The timing chain tensioners are replaced fairly easy and the problem in my opinion has been exaggerated.

Anyhow, to each their own, Toyota's are great trucks, take nothing away from them, they are just not the only great trucks out there. Cheers

Finlay

Triarius
If we go into detail: the 6 cyl engine of the 4th Geh 4Runner is known to blow head gaskets and wrap the aluminum head. The 8 cyl. ones have the well documented 4x4 actuator problem. .

The V8 T4R has full time 4WD with a center diff lock. There is no 4x4 actuator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater