What rig is best for Pan-American highway?

azam

What is the ideal vehicle for 2 people to travel the Pan-Am, Europe, Australia and hopefully more? I want something that is reliable above all else. Narrow for tight streets and roads, fully contained accessed through the cab, toilet, shower (inside preferably), kitchen.

I am looking at two options but hope you guys can offer some other suggestions.

First: Tom's World Cruiser https://www.toms-fahrzeugtechnik.de/en/worldcruiser-5 This ticks all the boxes however I would like to be able to drive away without messing with the roof if I wanted to leave a campsite quickly. Could be a little tippy for some trails.

Second option would be your typical Land Cruiser Troopy with an alu-cab roof conversion. Fridge, stove, toilet can all be fit inside but the shower would have to be outside. About half the price and more maneuverable.

Any other suggestions?

I had the same requirements and looked at the European and Australean products and was straching my head ..... I also looked into local products like Four Wind and Rossmonster and many many many more but durability for 6 - 10 year in unknown territory is number one priority and second priority is manuverability and global service is third priority. Which unfortuntely in this case I can not met, wish I could find something on Toyota truck, but guess they are made in Texas for US market so I am not sure about that either .... I remember talking to OEV and remember my comfort level with the product. I called OEV again and reason I passed them earlier was I thought their model Summit is the smallest they make which need diseal 550/5500 chasis. I do not want to go beyond 350/3500 and have good experience with Ford gas engine and do not want to deal with sulphur issue or complicated exhuast system. Any ways, I am very happy I called them again, they are working on a smaller model with pop up roof and using same composit material and same build quality as their other models. Please do not ask me the model name, call them ... this model has bed for two (east/west configuration), perminent inside bath and toilet and small dinnet area and it can be put on F350 gas engine, have 40 gal fresh tank, can have 600ah battery and if I am not mistaken will have 600 watt solar. For fresh water, I was told that I can get a filteration system which can sip water from the lake fill the tank. Just fyi, in case if you are still in the market ... I looked around for years and believe me I was willing to spend lot of money but this relatively cheap solution is the best I found .... oh and it will be available in Spring 2026 .... I dont know enough about AEV thistory o say anyting about their promise about Spring 2026 but for now I am taking it at the face value.

azam

forget to mention about kitchen and two induction stove and they agreed to get rid of propane on my request and made it full electric. I have to look at my notes but if my memory is any good water and space heating is vias engine fuel.
I agree it does not have lot of fency stuff I hve seen in European expensive expedition vehicles and as engineer I can see it is missing three layers of redudencies but this is basic and it simple and if it break it will be easy to fix and for basicc requirements of manuverability I have not seen anything coming close to it perhas Four Wheel and Rossmonster but durability this will be the best, Guess I will write a report in 12 years if I am still around .....
I am member and reading portal for years and I did not realize my post will be like this ..,.

Blackwatch

Wow, OEV is pretty expensive. $130,000 usd for the camper plus vehicle. The Sprinter 144 AWD seems to be the best fit for available interior size. But the reliability is of concern in places like Peru or Guatemala etc. Ideally I would like a medium sized Toyota like a LC or Hilux/Tacoma but the habitat part has to have 6 feet of headroom, shower/bathroom, sleeps 2, small kitchen and place to sit and eat.
GVWR and payload are causing issues. Looking into extruded aluminum builds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC