What tire size?

korisu56

Adventurer
I will throw my 0.02 in too. My TJ had 35's and was a PITA to maintain. Had an 8.8 with 4.56's and LSD. Ball joints, brakes, joints, etc. Just general maintenance goes up exponentially. My biggest regret with that jeep was going bigger than 33s.

My CJ7 has gone most of the places my TJ went on 31x10.50s on stock height and is just generally more fun to drive. Its lower and does very well off road. No lockers, nothing snazzy.

My next Jeep will be a jk unlimited. I will leave it stock height and just alter the bumpers with a winch, lighting, and RTT and call it good. I've learned that companies test their vehicles thoroughly at the presets that they sell the vehicle.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
As Korisu56 knows, both my Jeeps are on 33's (CJ7 and XJ) and they just plain work.

I have driven both of my Jeeps cross country to Moab, Utah (3000 hwy miles round trip) and run most of the trails there for a week, then drove home.

As well as taking my XJ to CO for 12 days, with 2000 miles hwy (roundtrip) and 1200 miles off road, driving different trails and mountain passes.

I honestly believe, for a daily driven Jeep, that 33's are the biggest one should run. (on CJ/YJ/TJ's and XJ's/Grands)

I wheel my Jeeps fairly hard, and have fun with them, without breaking the bank.

If I was doing more exploring, and less wheeling, I would run 31's, as they are adequate for 99% of "back country exploring", plus it keeps the COG nice and low, and you have less of the costs that x32792 referred to.

The best mod you can do to your Jeep right now?

"SEAT TIME!"

Driver ability and knowledge of ones rig is the best thing one can do.

A skilled driver can take a stock/slightly modified rig more places than you'd think.

And more importantly, will know when not to take thier rig somewhere.:ylsmoke:

magarnigel

So I got some new 33's for the Jeep today. Looking at them now, I'm glad I went this route. I'm probably not going to lift either now because I'm really liking the stance.

x32792

Adventurer
Hill, Bill.E - 31" vs 30" Tires

I went from OEM 28" tires to 30x9.5 A/T Dunlap Radical Rovers on my stock '01 TJ, 4L with 5 speed. This keeps my GOG low and gives me 1" more ground clearance without any modification to the suspension system. I'm running stock 15" steel OEM rims and do not bind while turning or at full articulation.

To go up to 31" tires would require 2" spacers at the top of my springs and longer shock absorbers. Locally, this is called a 'Budget Lift."

Going from 30" to 31" tires would give me an additional 1/2" more ground clearance, but this is no game changer.

My set up is fine for going long on most dirt and gravel. If I was going to Tierra Del Fuego (and thank gawd no one on this board has stepped up and said they they wanted to make this run with me), I'd pop for a budget lift and 31" M/T tires.

Last edited:

406to417

Explorer
I see you've already changed fenders so this wont help you much but my LJ with the AEV Highline kit,factory suspension and 35s is the best setup ive ever run.

magarnigel

I see you've already changed fenders so this wont help you much but my LJ with the AEV Highline kit,factory suspension and 35s is the best setup ive ever run.

I think mine is going too look fairly similar with the metalcloak fenders. I'm pretty happy with the gained ground clearance and there is plenty of room between the tire and flare. I will try and get some pictures posted as soon as I get the rear flares mounted.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I would think with metalcloak fenders you would want 35's. Why spend all that money on fenders for clearance to do 33's? I am waiting for my fenders next week and I will be on a 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift (for tummy tuck and move up the gas tank) and 35's. Figure once I get through with the bumpers, winch, armor and all that my suspension lift will be more like 1.25" - 1.5"

magarnigel

I would think with metalcloak fenders you would want 35's. Why spend all that money on fenders for clearance to do 33's? I am waiting for my fenders next week and I will be on a 2" suspension lift, 1" body lift (for tummy tuck and move up the gas tank) and 35's. Figure once I get through with the bumpers, winch, armor and all that my suspension lift will be more like 1.25" - 1.5"

That was my original plan and then other things got in the way of my funds right now. I still have the stock d35 and did not want to risk running 35's with that axle. Running the numbers, it would have come out to over 2k to get an 8.8 with 4.56 gears and also have the front axle re-geared as well. If I find I need to go to 35's after running my 33's for a while I will, but if I can save some money for now then I will.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I can understand that! Money speaks... I am so glad the LJ came with the 44 rear and 3.73 gears. I am avoiding gears until later. I can buy so many other mods with the price of regear and I only drive a few miles a day so I can stand it for awhile.

MOAK

Adventurer
2 cents

I will never go larger tha 33's.. And that's with stock 44 axles, and 4:11's .. Any larger is not necessary for a trail rig and is pretty much a waste of lots of green stuff.. Your 31's & driving skill will get you to the same places the big boys go, with their 35's and larger.

magarnigel

575204039_2042116962_0.jpg
[/IMG]

Well I was hoping to have a shot with the front and rear fenders on by now but there was a hang-up with the rear panels getting painted. This is what it looks like so far. I plan on building a tire carrier soon enough so I can get my full size spare. Also, the more I look at it, I am either going to level out the front or possibly even go with a 2 1/2" lift for it. I'm just thinking the stock suspension wont give me as much movement as I would like. Definitely going to drive it like this for a while to see what I really need. I really need to get my new gears as well because this thing is gutless now.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
If i were to start over with a stock TJ, I'd:

• 1.25 Body Lift

• Motor mount lift

• Flat skid plate

• Rocker Guards

• SYE
  • 31s

Big jeeps suck in many ways:)

JPK

Explorer
If i were to start over with a stock TJ, I'd:

• 1.25 Body Lift

• Motor mount lift

• Flat skid plate

• Rocker Guards

• SYE
  • 31s

Big jeeps suck in many ways:)

I have all of these except SLE (body lift is 1", rocker gaurds could use improvement) and a ~3" lift to boot. The Jeep rides on 33's, which is about perfect.

I have a roof rack, which is nice to have when you need it but a eats gas and engine highway performance.

My LJ has 4.10's and they're ok but for the roof rack. 4.56's or 4.88's would be better with the rack.

Lots of guys advocating 30's or 31's but while the 2" jump to 33's doesn't seem like much, it adds 1.5" of differential clearance, center clearance, improves approach and especially deprture angles. At the same time, 33's are not too large, and the 255/85R-16's, 33"x10" fit under the flares for those states with tire coverage regs. I think the relatively skinny 33's are the perfect option.

JPK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues