What to buy? BMW, KTM, or ?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
So my dad and I are in the market for an enduro for some road tripin and back roading. I was looking at the BMW f650, and the KTM adventure 950, 990. Need to know the pros and cons maintenance, reliability, and so on.

Aaron

marc olivares

Adventurer
2 words...Triumph Tiger...that is all :wavey:

sorry, i'm a bit bias
i have an 05'
cant get enought of that british love

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
marc olivares said:
2 words...Triumph Tiger...that is all :wavey:

sorry, i'm a bit bias
i have an 05'
cant get enought of that british love

I saw a few of those mixed in with a group of BMW's a couple months back on a group ride at a gas station, there must have been 50 bikes.

Aaron

Scott Brady

Founder
I do not have a bike yet. No time to ride it. I am interested in others response to this thread.

Hopefully this winter, with a full build and then ride next spring/summer!

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
You will find every possible piece of info you could ever want on each of those bikes here.

In the meantime... there's a pretty big difference in performance between the F650 and the two KTM's you mentioned. What type of riding would you like to do? Single track? Long stretches of highway followed by some fire roads?

The dualsport market continues to grow every year and it seems there are more choices now than ever.

In addition to the bikes already mentioned, here are some others to consider:

Single-cylinder aka "Thumpers"
KTM 640
Husqvarna TE-610
Suzuki DR650
Honda XR650
Kawasaki KLR650

"Big Twins"
Suzuki V-Strom 650 & 1000
BMW 1200GS & 1200GS Adventure

All of the above are great bikes and have loyal followings. Generally, the twin cylinders (3-cylinder for the Tiger) are "better" for long hauls on the pavement. I've owned the V-Strom 650 (totalled from a high-speed deerstrike), the KTM 950 Adventure and just bought an '07 BMW 1200GS. It's hard to pick a favorite as each bike has it's own niche. Good Luck and keep us posted!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If you're doing much off road, that KTM is a monster. I'm pretty comfortable with most bikes off road up to 650cc but that KTM 950 would make me a little nervous off road. She's a biggie. I borrowed a buddie's 950 for a few days and while I loved it, I wouldn't want to be on anything other than fire roads with it.

It's all relative. Some guys take their GS1150s off road. No thanks.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
As stated above...Those are two very different bikes. That 950 KTM should be compared to the 1200 BMW, not a 650.

If you do a search you'll find this has been discussed at length on this site a few times before. I have a KTM 525 exc. It has been called very accurately a "Dirtbike with turn signals". I also have at my disposal a 2006 BMW 650. I was very excited to get the 650's, as I ride a BMW 1150 RT five days a week. I'm a huge BMW fan. The more we rode the 650's off road the less we were pleased with them. This is not my single opinion, but the opinion of eight highly trained guys that ride five days a week. Five of the eight have their own dirt bikes, three out of the five own KTM.

I would consider your physical size and ability and start from there. Then I would look honestly at the terrain and the amount of travel off-road versus paved road. If I were heading for more dirt than pavement, I'd keep it smaller (650 and under) and go KTM. If I were doing more pavement than dirt along with longer read farther distances, no question the new BMW 1200. I love that bike and will own one some time.

Hopefully Brian will chime in and give you his thoughts on the BMW. I already owe him a beer for the last time discussed this...:)

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Sorry it was getting late I knew as soon as I posted it that I would get flack for the 950,990 vs. 650 comparison. Yeah I know those are different I meant to add the R1150 or 1200 BMW in there too. My father and are moderately experienced riders him more so than me. We will be doing mostly road but some offroad (forest roads, dirt roads, mountain trails). Now with the two of us if we decided to do slightly more dirt bike style riding the 1200, 1150 and the 990, 950 are going to big like wrestling a big ass alligator (here in Florida), it can be done but it will be hard. I'm 5'8" 190lbs, dad 6'1" 220lbs. I'm afraid the 1150, 1200, 950, 990 are going to be a little high for me to ride, kinda like a 500series dirtbike would be. I just registered with advrider, so maybe that will help some. We visited a KTM shop in Ocala FL yesterday and they were much help. We walked in looked around, no one came over, so we walked up to the counter. Excuse me I said, yes the man behind the counter replied. What are you asking for the 990 model,, umm its 14800 out the door. Ok what can you do for two? Two he replied. Yes two, if I buy two what can you do. There 14800 out the door. Ok thanks for the help, I then turned around and walked out. I've been in retail sales for some time and thats just not how to go about selling anything but maybe death. So anyway not a great to inexperience with this hunt. So what I'm getting is the larger bikes will be more comfy for road travel and light offroad (light) not meaning the bike. And if more suited to offroad travel the 600's will be what we should focus on.

Aaron

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
xcmountain80 said:
What are you asking for the 990 model,, umm its 14800 out the door. Ok what can you do for two? Two he replied. Yes two, if I buy two what can you do. There 14800 out the door. Ok thanks for the help, I then turned around and walked out. I've been in retail sales for some time and thats just not how to go about selling anything but maybe death.

Aaron
I'm not saying that dealer is good or bad, but you might ease up on them with regard to price negociating. One of my friends is a KTM dealer. He had a 650 Adventure on his floor and guys were constantly dickering with him over the price. He finally had to say, "look, there are only 4 of these in the entire state of Arizona and it took me months to get this one....." Now 950s are more available, but some of these dealers can't afford to let them slip out the door for less than what they expect to fetch. Who knows when that dealer will be able to get another pair of 990s. Like many bikes, cars and toys in high demand, there's really not much incentive for the dealer to blow them out....they'll surely sell soon enough at full ticket. Just my two cents. I can relate. I owned a bike shop for a couple years. Bicycle that is.

marc olivares

Adventurer
Aaron

keep in mind, that your buying a new bike in the worst time of year.
ok maybe not worst, early spring would be worst, but wait for a few more months. once the 08 models start hitting the floor you'll be amazed how "willing" the dealers will be to get you into one of their rides.

or even better, buy 1 or 2 years old. and let the previous owner take the depreciation hit. you'd be amazed how many people buy motorcycles with the hopes of "putting in the miles" but dont.
lots of great deals out there if you look.

Clutch

<---Pass
You mentioned trail. I would surely stay away from the big bikes. If you are a moderate rider, start with a small bike and as you get better, then move on to the big bikes. I haven't riden with you, so I don't know what type of rider you are.

How about a dirt bike that is dual sported? Everyone has "their" brand that they lean too. If it hasn't been said before. "The rider makes the bike, not the other way around."

If you are doing any type of moderate trail riding. The BMW650 and KTM 640...(690 is the new one coming out) will be too big. Just think picking up those heavy bikes when they fall over. The gnarlier the trail and the heavier the bike, the quicker you will wear out.

If you aren't doing any serious road riding. How about a big bore dirt bike? Honda XR650, Husaberg 650, KTM 525/530? The Honda would be the better one for any of the onroad duties. All mentioned will go over 100mph. I have seen the XR650 on single track...it can be done...

This is how I pick what bike I will own. What do most of my buddies ride? Chances are someone will have parts in the tool box. Is it a popular bike, alot of dealer support? For long trips, can I get parts on the road. Yes, Triumphs are cool, not many dealers out there, on the other hand, there are a slew Honda, KTM, BMW, etc...dealers out there.

Remember: Four wheels moves the body, two wheels moves the soul. ;)

Back to back The KTM640 and the BMW f650, the KTM wins because of better parts hung from it. I am not saying that because I own a KTM. You have to throw more money at the already expensive BMW. To get it near the KTM's performance. The dollar goes farther with the KTM. Both will get the job done, it comes down how much you want to spend, and how the job is handled.

More road: heavier street oriented machine

More dirt: lighter dirt oriented machine

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
marc olivares said:
Aaron

keep in mind, that your buying a new bike in the worst time of year.
ok maybe not worst, early spring would be worst, but wait for a few more months. once the 08 models start hitting the floor you'll be amazed how "willing" the dealers will be to get you into one of their rides.

or even better, buy 1 or 2 years old. and let the previous owner take the depreciation hit. you'd be amazed how many people buy motorcycles with the hopes of "putting in the miles" but dont.
lots of great deals out there if you look.

Yeah that is what I was thinking as far as buy a year or two old. There are 2 dealers on ebay 1 in Daytona and 1 in Orlando for the BMW's. As far as KTM's there are 2 in orlando. I could buy from an individual as well, just ot sure what to look for on the bike to be wrong or right. Hmmm will really have to consider use. I'm almost sure we will be doing more road though my dad bless his heart is 56 this year and I bought him a sick full suspension for Christmas and he is constantly trying to jump things.

Aaron

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
KTM doesn't produce the numbers that the other manufacturers do. I got the last 525ecx...It was number 10 for the dealership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3